Relaxed geometry bikes

rparedes

Jul 21, 2007
Looking for suggestions on relaxed geometry performance oriented carbon road bikes.
Prefer approx. 72 degree head tube and 73 degree seat tube. So far I can only find:
Specialized Roubaix
Giant OCR Composite or Defy (newer model)
Cannondale Synapse Carbon (tall head-tube but it has steeper angle)
Cervelo RS

Any other suggestions?

Bianchi Via Nirone? I am no highly stretched, toned racer, but still find mine to be pretty comfy with the stem turned up. It's part of Bianchi's "C2C" (coast to coast) line of bikes which, I think, is meant to imply that you could comfortably tour from coast to coast instead of winning time trials. Plus, whether or not it's caused by the carbon fork and stays, it's got a delightful ride even with 23mm's.

However, it's got no mounts for panniers or other heavy duty touring type stuff, and the wheelset is 16/20 spoke, aero rims.

garage sale GT said:
Bianchi Via Nirone? I am no highly stretched, toned racer, but still find mine to be pretty comfy with the stem turned up. It's part of Bianchi's "C2C" (coast to coast) line of bikes which, I think, is meant to imply that you could comfortably tour from coast to coast instead of winning time trials. Plus, whether or not it's caused by the carbon fork and stays, it's got a delightful ride even with 23mm's.

However, it's got no mounts for panniers or other heavy duty touring type stuff, and the wheelset is 16/20 spoke, aero rims.

Is that a carbon frame? It looks likes it's Al

garage sale GT said:
I am not familiar with the '09s. Mine has carbon fork and seatstays. There was an all-Al model with Tiagra too.

Thanks for the info. I looked it up and the 2009 models are called C2C; but the head tube is too short (only 170mm); they only make a 55 and 58... weird; I would need a 56 cm top tube..
thanks though...

rparedes said:
Looking for suggestions on relaxed geometry performance oriented carbon road bikes.
Prefer approx. 72 degree head tube and 73 degree seat tube. So far I can only find:
Specialized Roubaix
Cervelo RS

Any other suggestions?

Wow! I looked through all the manufacturers websites that I know of and the only ones with the geometry you're looking for are the ones you listed - especially for the 56 cm frame. The Colnago CX-1 has the geometry you're looking for but is sold as the frame and forks (i.e. not a complete bike).

rosborn said:
Wow! I looked through all the manufacturers websites that I know of and the only ones with the geometry you're looking for are the ones you listed - especially for the 56 cm frame. The Colnago CX-1 has the geometry you're looking for but is sold as the frame and forks (i.e. not a complete bike).
Just found a couple of more:
Look 566
Felt Z series
I'm not sure about the head angle on CX-1 though, I could not see it on the their web page

rparedes said:
Just found a couple of more:
Look 566
Felt Z series
I'm not sure about the head angle on CX-1 though, I could not see it on the their web page

I was thinking that the Felt Z series would work except that it appeared as though the head tube wasn't long enough. These are very nice bikes though. A friend of mine and I saw the Z35 at a bike shop in Ann Arbor and I have to admit that I was quite taken with it. It looks like you would have to go with a 55cm for the LOOK frame. Nice bike!

rparedes said:
Do you know if there is any advantage of monocoque carbon molded vs lugged tube carbon construction?

Thanks!

From what I have read there is no advantage to either method of carbon construction. Both achieve pretty similar torsional strengths and weights. Trek and Specialized utilize the monocoque construction while I believe Felt and Look utilize the lugged tube carbon construction.

garage sale GT said:
I find it odd you can't find your size in a Bianchi. They are famous for covering the size spectrum.

Not in the geometry I'm looking for.... they go from 55 cm to 58 cm and their head tube is on the "shorter side" of the bikes I'm beginning to look at.

rparedes said:
Not in the geometry I'm looking for.... they go from 55 cm to 58 cm and their head tube is on the "shorter side" of the bikes I'm beginning to look at.
Although you stated some frame angles, it really isn't clear what you really want because it seems as though you are mostly looking for a bike which does not have a horizontal top tube even though that may not actually be the case.

What size frame are you theoretically looking for?

Regardless, when in doubt, contact CALFEE and have him make a frame for you ...

OR, choose a CYCLOCROSS frame.

alfeng said:
Although you stated some frame angles, it really isn't clear what you really want because it seems as though you are mostly looking for a bike which does not have a horizontal top tube even though that may not actually be the case.

What size frame are you theoretically looking for?

Regardless, when in doubt, contact CALFEE and have him make a frame for you ...

OR, choose a CYCLOCROSS frame.

The frame I'm looking for would have a 56 cm or 56.5 cm horizontal top tube, a fairly tall head tube: 190 to 200 mm and a shallow head angle (72-72.5). There are a few bikes out there but just was wondering if there are others I'm not aware off. I currently ride a Giant TCR Composite (about the last 3 years) but it is a little too aggressive for me now; I've had a few fit issues recently which I've been able to work out but especially on long rides, (3 to 4 hours) the current geometry does not work for me. I'm in no hurry but I will possibly change sometime this year. I also don't want to spent a lot of $$$. So far it appears the Specialized Roubaix frame or the Giant Defy would work the best but have not ridden them yet.

rparedes said:
So far it appears the Specialized Roubaix frame or the Giant Defy would work the best but have not ridden them yet.
And what's wrong with the Roubaix? Plenty of head tube there.

rparedes said:
Specialized Roubaix
Cervelo RS

Any other suggestions?

I can tell you from experience the Giant is nice but the Roubaix is one of the best bikes I've ever ridden, it truly is comfortable yet very responsive and quick. My buddy has one and it is by far more comfy than my Tricross ( which is the most comfortable bike I have ). If I could afford the Roubaix I would have one. But I'm not sure if the 09 has mounts for racks - if you use them.

rparedes said:
Specialized Roubaix
Cervelo RS

Any other suggestions?
Check out the felt z range of bikes. Also some colnagos, specialized & pells bikes might suit