Removing a Sakae Crank

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by VeloJon, Feb 16, 2007.

  1. VeloJon

    VeloJon Guest

    I need to remove an mid-80's Sakae crank off an old Shogun 600. The
    crank bolts have a large horizontal slot with diamond-shaped hole.
    Since my meager wrenching skills only date back to the mid-90's, I am
    unfamiliar with this beast. Any cheap suggestions that don't involve
    buying an expensive tool I will never use again?

    Tags:

  2. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    VeloJon wrote:
    > I need to remove an mid-80's Sakae crank off an old Shogun 600. The
    > crank bolts have a large horizontal slot with diamond-shaped hole.
    > Since my meager wrenching skills only date back to the mid-90's, I am
    > unfamiliar with this beast. Any cheap suggestions that don't involve
    > buying an expensive tool I will never use again?

    I think you're just talking about old school dust covers? I have a
    similar Sakae crank on an old bike and it has dust covers covering a
    14mm crank bolt.

    Greg

    --
    "All my time I spent in heaven
    Revelries of dance and wine

  3. Nigel Cliffe

    Nigel Cliffe Guest

    G.T. wrote:
    > VeloJon wrote:
    >> I need to remove an mid-80's Sakae crank off an old Shogun 600. The
    >> crank bolts have a large horizontal slot with diamond-shaped hole.
    >> Since my meager wrenching skills only date back to the mid-90's, I am
    >> unfamiliar with this beast. Any cheap suggestions that don't involve
    >> buying an expensive tool I will never use again?
    >>

    > I think you're just talking about old school dust covers? I have a
    > similar Sakae crank on an old bike and it has dust covers covering a
    > 14mm crank bolt.

    And, if it is a dust cover, it is a screw-on hard plastic one, not a push-on
    soft rubbery one.

    Large screwdriver should remove it easily. If it shatters due to age, a
    modern cover will do the job.

    - Nigel (also had mid-80's Sakae cranks on something once).

    --
    Nigel Cliffe,
    Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

  4. On Feb 16, 12:59 pm, "VeloJon" <jprest...@comcast.net> wrote:
    > I need to remove an mid-80's Sakae crank off an old Shogun 600. The
    > crank bolts have a large horizontal slot with diamond-shaped hole.
    > Since my meager wrenching skills only date back to the mid-90's, I am
    > unfamiliar with this beast. Any cheap suggestions that don't involve
    > buying an expensive tool I will never use again?

    A quarter works nicely.

  5. landotter

    landotter Guest

    On Feb 16, 11:59 am, "VeloJon" <jprest...@comcast.net> wrote:
    > I need to remove an mid-80's Sakae crank off an old Shogun 600. The
    > crank bolts have a large horizontal slot with diamond-shaped hole.
    > Since my meager wrenching skills only date back to the mid-90's, I am
    > unfamiliar with this beast. Any cheap suggestions that don't involve
    > buying an expensive tool I will never use again?

    You'll need a crank extractor, about $15 as well as a coin. Depending
    on the clearances around the crank bolt that'll be exposed, you may
    need a thin wall socket to get in there. My vintage SR crank on one of
    my bikes is a tight fit--so I bought a $3 socket, and ground it to
    fit. I'd replace the crank arm bolts with some modern allen wrench
    ones that serve as both bolts and dust cover, well, only if you break
    the dust covers.

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    VeloJon wrote:
    > I need to remove an mid-80's Sakae crank off an old Shogun 600. The
    > crank bolts have a large horizontal slot with diamond-shaped hole.
    > Since my meager wrenching skills only date back to the mid-90's, I am
    > unfamiliar with this beast. Any cheap suggestions that don't involve
    > buying an expensive tool I will never use again?

    That's just a plastic or metal cover. Use a cone wrench or a quarter to
    unscrew them. Your crank bolts are under those covers, the extractor is
    the standard 22mm tool.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  7. RS

    RS Guest

    In article
    <1171648766.763568.318280@s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com>,
    jprestley@comcast.net says...

    >I need to remove an mid-80's Sakae crank off an old Shogun 600. The
    >crank bolts have a large horizontal slot with diamond-shaped hole.
    >Since my meager wrenching skills only date back to the mid-90's, I am
    >unfamiliar with this beast. Any cheap suggestions that don't involve
    >buying an expensive tool I will never use again?

    I just pulled a Sakae off an old Cannondale. As others have said, just
    use a flat-blade screw drive to take the dust cover off. Then the right
    size socket to back the crank bolts out. And then the black-handled Park
    crank extractor (#4 as I recall) to pull the crank arms.

  8. speechsupply

    speechsupply New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2013
    Hello,

    I'm in the same situation. I've got this old bike equipped with a (SAKAE) SR-SC 1.37" X 24T Crank bottom.
    I live in Denmark, the land where almost everyone commute using a bike. So you would think the "know-how" is substantial.
    Apparently not so. Of the three bike repair shops I've talked to so far - none of them could give me the right answer.

    How do I remove this crank bottom? It's broken and has to be replaced.
    Haven't found any useful tools yet.

    And yes, as the picture reveals I did loose my temper and went totally mental on this thing with a large wrench.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

  9. CAMPYBOB

    CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2005
    Messages:
    11,025
    http://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-bottombrackets.html

    Threading is right-hand on the left cup (your pic). Your lock ring is off and now you can tap off the adjustable cup with a brass drift and a hammer. After loosening the threads with the hammer/drift you could probably use one of Park Tool's Adjustable Pin Face Spanners to continue turning the adjustable cup.

    The right side (fixed) cup is left-hand thread and uses a standard type BB spanner.

  10. CAMPYBOB

    CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2005
    Messages:
    11,025
    If you can get the fixed cup off the opposite side and pull the crank spindle out, you can make up one of Sheldon Brown's el cheapo cup removers:

    [​IMG]

    http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html

Share This Page