Researching Australia touring March of 2004

slade_clyde

Dec 24, 2003
I'm making plans for a 6 month camping tour of Australia starting the first week of March 2004 and need any first hand experience, advice or criticism you have about my plan. I'm hoping 6 months will be enough time if not I will extend my trip (I'm retired).

My plan A itinerary is .

March-- Perth to Albany, Esperance, Adelaide then Melbourne.
April---- Melbourne to Lakes Entrance, Sydney then Brisbane
May---- Brisbane to Rockhampton, Townsville then Cairns
June--- Cairns to Mt Isa , Tennant Creek then Ayers Rock
July---- Ayers Rock to Darwin then Wyndham
August- Wyndham to Derby, Broome, Carnarvon then Perth.

I would take the scenic routes following highway 1 staying close to the coast line where possible. If I ride 50 miles a day through the populated areas and as many miles as possible through the un-populated areas I should have a few days off now and then. I prefer to ride and enjoy the outdoors and scenery versus visiting museums or out of the way historic sights. Not that I don't enjoy museums and historc places I do.

Thank you for any and all information you can give me.

Clyde

I would stay away from highways as much as possible. Try and find/use country roads that are parallel to highways to get a more scenic route. You will get to see alot of wildlife as well as visit some very small country towns with plenty of friendly people.

I ride in the south east Australian state of Victoria and live in Melbourne. Make sure you ride "The Great Ocean Road" along the south west coastline of the state. Alot to see and very camping friendly. Here's a link http://www.greatoceanrd.org.au/index.asp and photo http://www.greatoceanrd.org.au/images/popgoroad8.jpg .

Riding along the coastline of eastern Victoria and north into NSW also has alot of great scenery.

If you can, visit Tasmania (the southern island state). February would be the ideal time for cycling as the weather would be warmer. You can catch a ferry/ship daily from Melbourne to the northern coast of Tasmania (or plane from anywhere else in oz). It's a popular destination for many aussie cyclist's especially in our summer (I'm hoping to ride it myself soon). Besides you'll get to see a real life Tassie Devil. :)

Here's a link to a similar discussion on another board http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=42418

I really envy your trip and hope you enjoy it!

Originally posted by slade_clyde
I'm making plans for a 6 month camping tour of Australia starting the first week of March 2004 and need any first hand experience, advice or criticism you have about my plan. I'm hoping 6 months will be enough time if not I will extend my trip (I'm retired).

My plan A itinerary is .

March-- Perth to Albany, Esperance, Adelaide then Melbourne.
April---- Melbourne to Lakes Entrance, Sydney then Brisbane
May---- Brisbane to Rockhampton, Townsville then Cairns
June--- Cairns to Mt Isa , Tennant Creek then Ayers Rock
July---- Ayers Rock to Darwin then Wyndham
August- Wyndham to Derby, Broome, Carnarvon then Perth.

I would take the scenic routes following highway 1 staying close to the coast line where possible. If I ride 50 miles a day through the populated areas and as many miles as possible through the un-populated areas I should have a few days off now and then. I prefer to ride and enjoy the outdoors and scenery versus visiting museums or out of the way historic sights. Not that I don't enjoy museums and historc places I do.

Thank you for any and all information you can give me.

Clyde

I totally agree - stay off highway one as much as possible.
I have ridden (self contained) in Oz and Kiwiland a fair amount and would advise against tackling the long boring bits particularly in the hot weather of march - it is still very very hot across the desert to adelaide at this time of year
Your other times/routes are OK but consider using the train for the long hauls like kalgoorlie to Pt augusta and alice to darwin.
The train system in oz is tailor made for breaking the back of cycle touring provided you hold a current YHA (Hostels International) card and they will carry your bike fully loaded (unboxed) for A$40 as far as the train goes (Perth to Sydney if you want) and you pay for the individual fare at a huge discount without having to buy a block of a month or some other period.
But in your case i would be getting off at port augusta and riding the mawson trail bike route to see some of the best "typically oz" country on this continent.
Similarly I would be reducing the drag of the long haul from alice to darwin by using the train here also - the new railway should be fully functional by then. but it depends what you want to experience and for how long - I lived in Alice, Ayres Rock and darwin for periods so maybe this area is no longer as exciting to me now.
if you use the train in this manner you can put this time and effort into riding some other fantastic areas - such as Kings Canyon in the Ayres Rock area
Allow to carry enough water for 3-4 days if you are determined to do the long uninhabited runs and learn early how to access water from stock watering points before you need to do this - this is a very big dry land for the most part.

best wishes !