Ride along Mississippi River?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by me@privacy.net, Jun 14, 2005.

  1. Does there exist a bike trail that follows the
    Mississippi River all way from north to south?

    Tags:

  2. mad_jesuit

    mad_jesuit Guest

    <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:nnsta11i5jnbb97vk4k5i1qmddkfiq7f9e@4ax.com...
    > Does there exist a bike trail that follows the
    > Mississippi River all way from north to south?

    The Mississippi River Trail is a 10-state cycling route in process of development from the headwaters of the Mississippi at Lake Itasca, Minnesota to the Gulf of Mexico:

    http://www.mississippirivertrail.org/

    It's not complete, yet. But all 10 states have signed on to have
    at least a segment open by spring 2005 (so thoses segments should already be open).
    You'll just have to find out what segments are open.

    You can also try a google search on "mississippi river" "bicycle trail".

    ---The Mad Jesuit

  3. >
    ><me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:nnsta11i5jnbb97vk4k5i1qmddkfiq7f9e@4ax.com...
    >> Does there exist a bike trail that follows the
    >> Mississippi River all way from north to south?

    >The Mississippi River Trail is a 10-state cycling route in process of development from the headwaters of the Mississippi at Lake Itasca, Minnesota to the Gulf of Mexico:
    >
    >http://www.mississippirivertrail.org/
    >
    >It's not complete, yet. But all 10 states have signed on to have
    >at least a segment open by spring 2005 (so thoses segments should already be open).
    >You'll just have to find out what segments are open.
    >
    >You can also try a google search on "mississippi river" "bicycle trail".
    >
    >---The Mad Jesuit

    OK thanks so much

    I live in Hannibal Missouri so I'm right along the
    proposed trail

  4. > Does there exist a bike trail that follows the
    > Mississippi River all way from north to south?

    You may want to check out the Adventure Cycling Great Rivers route at
    http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/greatrivers.cfm . This route
    runs from Muscatine, Iowa, to St. Francisville, Louisiana. You can
    look at the detail overview of this set of 3 maps and you will note
    that the route veers away from the river significantly in places. That
    is presumably because Adventure Cycling couldn't find a route close to
    the river that they considered safe. However, this route was
    established at least a few years ago so it is possible the Mississippi
    River Trail now has some better routing closer to the river.

    Denis

  5. >
    >You may want to check out the Adventure Cycling Great Rivers route at
    >http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/greatrivers.cfm .

    Thanks

    Yes it does appear that a lot of the route doesn't
    follow the river very closely.

    Matter of fact the route where I'm at (Hannibal) takes
    you down US 61 a pretty busy highway. When in fact I
    know of another better more scenic way

    I guess I should let them know my route thru Hannibal
    huh?

  6. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    > >You may want to check out the Adventure Cycling Great

    Rivers route at
    > >http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/greatrivers.cfm .

    > Matter of fact the route where I'm at (Hannibal) takes
    > you down US 61 a pretty busy highway. When in fact I
    > know of another better more scenic way
    >
    > I guess I should let them know my route thru Hannibal
    > huh?

    It can't hurt. Every route reflects compromises, and this
    might have been a case where they lacked local knowledge.

  7. Dave

    Dave Guest

    For Wisconsin see http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/bike-foot/grrmap.htm
    Dave

    <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

    >>You may want to check out the Adventure Cycling Great Rivers route at
    >>http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/greatrivers.cfm .

    > Thanks
    >
    > Yes it does appear that a lot of the route doesn't
    > follow the river very closely.
    >
    > Matter of fact the route where I'm at (Hannibal) takes
    > you down US 61 a pretty busy highway. When in fact I
    > know of another better more scenic way
    >
    > I guess I should let them know my route thru Hannibal
    > huh?

Share This Page