Road Shoes Help Me Choose

Joel Klavins

Jan 16, 2013
My Shimano road shoes are dying sadly so I am in need of some new road shoes. These are the shoes I have in mind: Suplest S1 - Carbon Velcro 2010 = $142 Bont Cervelo Test Team CTT-3 = $120 Shimano SH-R191 = $124 Thanks

from the pictures and descriptions i liked best the Shimano SH-R191, and the other advantage is fitting and sizing, since you already have a Shimano pair the new one should be similar or the same fitting, of course if you buy them at the shop you can try them first, online you can't,

Last time I heard, the Shimano last for their higher end race shoes was different for the lower end shoes, with the higher end shoes having a narrower toe box. A couple of years ago when I had to replace my Shimano shoes--SH-R215's--I was unable to wear the new shoe as a result of a last change. Given that, I'd recommend trying on any of the shoes you can. A local dealer ought to have the Shimano shoes....maybe. I've not worn the Supplest shoes, but according to some reviews they have a wide toe box and little ventilation. I've read a fair number of complaints about the quality control at Bont, and a few reported that Bont was less than helpful. Keep in mind, however, that people that have problems with products can out number satisfied customers online since satisfied customers are likely to not post a review. I can certainly that Shimano shoes are excellent. They're very well built.

This may be stating the obvious, but different brands of shoes are made on different LASTS ...

If you are not satisfied with the fit of your current pair of Shimano shoes for any reason, then it may be worth trying on a few other brands of shoes ...

If your current Shimano shoes fit, then I recommend that you not trouble yourself with looking at other brands ...

Regardless, there will (eventually!) come a time when you will find that your feet have changed size (become larger!!) than they were when you were younger ...

• I had a pair of 43.5 Shimano shoes which apparently managed to stretch a little over time so that when I went to buy a new pair, a new pair of 43.5 were too snug [or, this is possibly an example of what alienator was referring to with regard to a change in the lasts used to make their shoes] and a pair of 44 seemed to fit well.

Thank you all for your replies /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif
My current Shimano R132's are getting old and very worn, also my dog chewed the straps... The thing I don't like about them is the straps feel as though they are putting pressure on my feet in certain spots if that makes sense?
I am liking the look of the Bont straps and how they pull the foot back into the shoe as well as the large surface area of the straps. They are also heat moldable which is a nice extra.
I need a size 42.5 EU but have noticed that not that many shoes seem to come in half sizes.

Joel Klavins said:
Thank you all for your replies /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif My current Shimano R132's are getting old and very worn, also my dog chewed the straps... The thing I don't like about them is the straps feel as though they are putting pressure on my feet in certain spots if that makes sense? I am liking the look of the Bont straps and how they pull the foot back into the shoe as well as the large surface area of the straps. They are also heat moldable which is a nice extra. I need a size 42.5 EU but have noticed that not that many shoes seem to come in half sizes. 
You might want to try some shoes with a BOA system, wherein a dial is used to wind in a cable that snugs the shoe. Scott, Sidi, Specialized and some others make some. I happen to wear Specialized S-Works shoes, and they are uber comfortable. A bonus of the BOA system is that you can very easily tighten or loosen your shoes (like if your feet are starting to swell on a long ride) in very small steps while riding. FYI, Shimano actually uses at least two different lasts in its road shoe line: the narrower one with the narrower toe box is aimed at racers and high performance riders. The narrower ones fit more like a typical Euro shoe.

Reactions: Joel Klavins
Originally Posted by alienator .

You might want to try some shoes with a BOA system, wherein a dial is used to wind in a cable that snugs the shoe. Scott, Sidi, Specialized and some others make some. I happen to wear Specialized S-Works shoes, and they are uber comfortable. A bonus of the BOA system is that you can very easily tighten or loosen your shoes (like if your feet are starting to swell on a long ride) in very small steps while riding.

FYI, Shimano actually uses at least two different lasts in its road shoe line: the narrower one with the narrower toe box is aimed at racers and high performance riders. The narrower ones fit more like a typical Euro shoe.
Awesome, thank-you very much for that information. I'll look into it, especially since I have flat feet and that sounds like it may help with that issue as well /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

The problem ive had is finding the shops who stock other brand, usually only shimano or specialized, i even went to the NEC cycle show, not much choice there either, wish i had normal feet :), but i do like the BOA system, odd at first but you gotta trust in it.

Originally Posted by alienator .

You might want to try some shoes with a BOA system, wherein a dial is used to wind in a cable that snugs the shoe. Scott, Sidi, Specialized and some others make some. I happen to wear Specialized S-Works shoes, and they are uber comfortable. A bonus of the BOA system is that you can very easily tighten or loosen your shoes (like if your feet are starting to swell on a long ride) in very small steps while riding.
There are fit/comfort benefits with the BOA system, however what I've heard about the Specialized shoes that use them is that if an upper(possibly lower) BOA buckle were to break/ snap off, then your shoe is toast (no fixie) . What a shame. I haven't looked close enough at the newer Sidi shoes that utilize this design in buckles, if they suffer the same fate, or not.

I've not heard about buckles breaking off, but I'm sure it can happen. I've had no issues with it over 3 years, but I have replace buckle parts.

check out spiuk shoes, very nice, cheap and durable. i have a pair and i will definitely buy them again. the Shimanos i had did not last long. good luck

Originally Posted by Joel Klavins .

I need a size 42.5 EU but have noticed that not that many shoes seem to come in half sizes.
Something which I think you can try to snug up a size of any shoe by about ([COLOR= #808080]this is just a vague estimate[/COLOR]) a half (euro) size would be to add a Dr. Scholl type foam insert on top of the standard shoe insert ... so, a 43 ([COLOR= #ff8c00]for a given shoe line[/COLOR]) would become a ~42.5 ...

• a pair of ODOR EATERS would work, too, if you want the benefit of THAT type of shoe liner

BTW. My very limited observation is that SIDI seem to run smaller than SHIMANO for the same numerical sizing ... my size 45 SIDI seem to be about ([COLOR= #0000ff]BUT, no precisely[/COLOR]) the same as my size 44 Shimano shoes.

Reactions: Joel Klavins
Thanks for the info, I'll try add another insole and see how it helps /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

i wouldn't tweak a shoe of the wrong size, its a critical point of riding comfort, either the shoe fits you or it doesn't,

vspa said:
i wouldn't tweak a shoe of the wrong size, its a critical point of riding comfort, either the shoe fits you or it doesn't,
I agree. It's key to have shoes that fit properly. With that said, most cycling shoes come with **** insoles, and adding another on top certainly isn't the optimal solution. You might want to remove your shoes' insoles and instead test something like insoles from Superfeet or some other higher end insole maker. FYI, Superfeet are available in loads of places and make not only regular insoles but also heat moldable insoles. Of course, there are other companies that make heat moldable insoles, too.

FYI, Art's Cyclery (http://www.artscyclery.com/) has free shipping both ways. If you're not sure what size shoes you'll need because you're switching brands, buying shoes online can get very expensive due to return shipping.

Art's regular prices aren't so great, but their sale prices are pretty good. I bought some Giro Factor close-outs shoes for 1/2 off ($130) because they come with multiple arch supports. I've only been able to ride with the shoes indoors so far, but the build quality is excellent.