RR: East meets West

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by GeeDubb, Nov 6, 2004.

  1. GeeDubb

    GeeDubb Guest

    OK. First off my skills as a guide suck.......and I apologize to Mitch
    (Ride-A-Lot) for making the poor guy walk through the desert because I got
    us lost within 20 minutes of starting our ride yesterday!

    I met up with Mitch at an area known as Pima and Dynamite. It's a very
    popular riding area with over 100 miles of cris- crossing trails.
    Unfortunately the motorized users have thoroughly trashed the trails since
    the last time I rode here (I ride this area about once a year and I'm always
    chasing and not paying attention, obviously) and many of the single track
    trails are now wide two tracks.....which lead to my early demise as I took a
    wrong turn. Then another turn into a very sandy wash <(;-}.

    Being from Philly Mitch hadn't experienced sand riding so I broke him in the
    hard way and eventually bailed out of the wash (after about what seemed like
    forever) and started the hike east to find the trail I wanted to be on.
    About 1/4 mile of bushwhack and we found it. (for you stay on the trail
    sorts, we walked our bikes through this section).

    The area trails are not technical but can be difficult to ride due to the
    loose granite, rutted trails and short steep climbs coming out of washes.
    Add to this that from the start you're gradually climbing (making for some
    fun return trips) w/o realizing it until you turn around to see where you
    were.

    Those of us who use gears, really use gears on these trails and if the gears
    don't shift properly is makes for a really frustrating ride. Rental bikes
    require a good mechanic to keep them working. Obviously the shop rented
    this bike from didn't do their job. We stopped numerous times to do cable
    adjustments on the rear deraileur. Mitch was able to get most of the
    shifting problems ironed out but this is a good reason to bring you own
    bike....

    The Southeastern part of the area has some fun trails that wind through
    large areas of boulders which is more scenic than anything else. Trying to
    find the one trail that leads back to the starting point is always
    interesting in that the trails here often turn back away from where you want
    to go. (again, lacking guide skills). Mitch had done a long ride the day
    before and was getting tired and I seemed to be going in circles trying to
    find the one trail that would get us back to the cars. oops!

    We rode about 16 miles then went out for lunch. I had a fun ride with Mitch
    and enjoyed the lunch he bought. I'm still trying to convince him to ride
    Sunday but he probably figures I'll get him lost again <g>.

    Gary

    Tags:

  2. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    GeeDubb wrote:
    > OK. First off my skills as a guide suck.......and I apologize to Mitch
    > (Ride-A-Lot) for making the poor guy walk through the desert because I got
    > us lost within 20 minutes of starting our ride yesterday!
    >
    > I met up with Mitch at an area known as Pima and Dynamite. It's a very
    > popular riding area with over 100 miles of cris- crossing trails.
    > Unfortunately the motorized users have thoroughly trashed the trails since
    > the last time I rode here (I ride this area about once a year and I'm always
    > chasing and not paying attention, obviously) and many of the single track
    > trails are now wide two tracks.....which lead to my early demise as I took a
    > wrong turn. Then another turn into a very sandy wash <(;-}.
    >
    > Being from Philly Mitch hadn't experienced sand riding so I broke him in the
    > hard way and eventually bailed out of the wash (after about what seemed like
    > forever) and started the hike east to find the trail I wanted to be on.
    > About 1/4 mile of bushwhack and we found it. (for you stay on the trail
    > sorts, we walked our bikes through this section).
    >
    > The area trails are not technical but can be difficult to ride due to the
    > loose granite, rutted trails and short steep climbs coming out of washes.
    > Add to this that from the start you're gradually climbing (making for some
    > fun return trips) w/o realizing it until you turn around to see where you
    > were.

    <SNIP>
    > We rode about 16 miles then went out for lunch. I had a fun ride with Mitch
    > and enjoyed the lunch he bought. I'm still trying to convince him to ride
    > Sunday but he probably figures I'll get him lost again <g>.
    >
    > Gary

    You did a very decent job as a guide and I really appreciate the company
    and conversation on the ride. It was a good time and the bomb back to
    the car was fun even if the gears skipped every time I landed after
    getting some air.

    Here are some pics of our desert experience:

    http://tinyurl.com/5d5cn

    I can be convinced to ride on Sunday, now that I can feel my legs again.
    Where? When? How far? Is the proflex rideable? Because I could not
    stomach that K2 shifting nightmare.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  3. GeeDubb

    GeeDubb Guest

    Ride-A-Lot" <"mitchel[nospam] wrote:

    > You did a very decent job as a guide and I really appreciate the
    > company and conversation on the ride. It was a good time and the
    > bomb back to the car was fun even if the gears skipped every time I
    > landed after getting some air.
    >
    > Here are some pics of our desert experience:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/5d5cn
    >
    > I can be convinced to ride on Sunday, now that I can feel my legs
    > again. Where? When? How far? Is the proflex rideable? Because I
    > could not stomach that K2 shifting nightmare.

    I promise I'll guide better tomorrow since I ride this trail several times a
    week! Sent you an email with directions, time and other details. Left out
    the out and back is about 23 miles, mostly flat rocky terrain with a few
    little rocky sections.

    If it looks like rain call me.

    Gary

  4. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 15:14:34 -0700, GeeDubb <GeeDubb@qwest.net> wrote:

    > Ride-A-Lot" <"mitchel[nospam] wrote:
    >
    >> You did a very decent job as a guide and I really appreciate the
    >> company and conversation on the ride. It was a good time and the
    >> bomb back to the car was fun even if the gears skipped every time I
    >> landed after getting some air.
    >>
    >> Here are some pics of our desert experience:
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/5d5cn
    >>
    >> I can be convinced to ride on Sunday, now that I can feel my legs
    >> again. Where? When? How far? Is the proflex rideable? Because I
    >> could not stomach that K2 shifting nightmare.

    > I promise I'll guide better tomorrow since I ride this trail several
    > times a
    > week! Sent you an email with directions, time and other details. Left
    > out
    > the out and back is about 23 miles, mostly flat rocky terrain with a few
    > little rocky sections.
    >
    > If it looks like rain call me.
    >
    > Gary

    Shoot... that's gotta be the largest belly button I've ever seen
    http://www.pchospital.net/photoalbum/PAViewPhoto.asp?AlbumID=31&Photo=7

    --
    Slacker

  5. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Slacker wrote:

    > On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 15:14:34 -0700, GeeDubb <GeeDubb@qwest.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Ride-A-Lot" <"mitchel[nospam] wrote:
    >>
    >>> You did a very decent job as a guide and I really appreciate the
    >>> company and conversation on the ride. It was a good time and the
    >>> bomb back to the car was fun even if the gears skipped every time I
    >>> landed after getting some air.
    >>>
    >>> Here are some pics of our desert experience:
    >>>
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/5d5cn
    >>>
    >>> I can be convinced to ride on Sunday, now that I can feel my legs
    >>> again. Where? When? How far? Is the proflex rideable? Because I
    >>> could not stomach that K2 shifting nightmare.

    >> I promise I'll guide better tomorrow since I ride this trail several
    >> times a
    >> week! Sent you an email with directions, time and other details.
    >> Left out
    >> the out and back is about 23 miles, mostly flat rocky terrain with a few
    >> little rocky sections.
    >>
    >> If it looks like rain call me.
    >>
    >> Gary
    >>

    > Shoot... that's gotta be the largest belly button I've ever seen
    > http://www.pchospital.net/photoalbum/PAViewPhoto.asp?AlbumID=31&Photo=7

    WTF is that? I swear I have an inny. Maybe it's an alien trying to
    come out of my stomach.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  6. GeeDubb

    GeeDubb Guest

    Ride-A-Lot" <"mitchel[nospam] wrote:
    > Slacker wrote:

    >>> I promise I'll guide better tomorrow since I ride this trail several
    >>> times a
    >>> week! Sent you an email with directions, time and other details.
    >>> Left out
    >>> the out and back is about 23 miles, mostly flat rocky terrain with
    >>> a few little rocky sections.
    >>>
    >>> If it looks like rain call me.
    >>>
    >>> Gary
    >>>

    >> Shoot... that's gotta be the largest belly button I've ever seen
    >> http://www.pchospital.net/photoalbum/PAViewPhoto.asp?AlbumID=31&Photo=7
    >>

    > WTF is that? I swear I have an inny. Maybe it's an alien trying to
    > come out of my stomach.

    End of a full length zipper on your shirt? OK, alien!

    Gary

Share This Page