RR: Sydney's M7

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by ritcho, Jan 29, 2006.

  1. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    M7 is a good road for bikes - especially for riding ITT...

    It was nice to get out on a Sunday morning for once - normally I like to stay home and spend some quality time with bub. I thought I'd try the M7 for myself. A pretty simple loop of Lane Cove Road, M2, M7 and M4 back to home.

    There were plenty of bikes out and about, especially on the M2 and then again on the M7 and its accompanying bike path. The bike path seems to be attracting a lot of riders on all kinds of bikes, from kids on BMXs to old ladies on comfort bikes which is great. The M7 itself is a nice smooth hotmix with a wide shoulder and plenty of signage, though it is a little exposed to the wind. In contrast to others, I didn't think there were many (if any) bogan droppings. There was some broken taillight glass near a couple of exits, but only a couple of exits were affected. Traffic levels were low, making it easy to scoot across the on and off ramp entrances. The road is nearly flat, with gentle undulations providing the variation, so it enabled some high (for me) speeds.

    The best thing about yesterday morning's ride was that I didn't have a single yobbo blaring a horn or shouting out the window. Maybe they can't afford to drive on a toll road... but I didn't have any on the (free) M4 either, so maybe it was the nice weather putting everyone in a good mood. Ahhh.

    Hmm. Ride stats... HR - unknown, high up hills, less down hills. Distance 71km. Av. 35.1km/h

    Ritch

    Tags:

  2. Brian Watson

    Brian Watson Guest

    ritcho wrote:
    > [..snip..] Traffic levels were low, making it easy to scoot across the on
    > and off ramp entrances.

    I was out on the M7 on the weekend as well. Unfortunately I was in my
    car. Saw a nice small group (5 or 6 maybe) ride along in the breakdown
    lane close to the edge of the road. They went straight past the sign
    saying "cyclists cross here with caution" (or something to that effect),
    got about half way along the dotted line part of the entry ramp and then
    decided (one at a time) to duck across the entry ramp in front of the
    cars coming down at ~100km/h. One car had to brake so hard I was
    surprised it did not lock up - must have had good ABS.

    Was not a good ad for us.

    Brian

  3. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Brian Watson wrote:

    > Was not a good ad for us.
    >
    > Brian

    Is there something about riding in groups that takes away our
    individual common sense? In today's Brisbane rag is a complaint about
    bunches (cafe-racing) going the wrong way around a roundabout. I never
    thought a win was worth it, if it involved a shortcut. I don't
    understand why folks do this, and as you say, it's a bad ad.

    Donga

  4. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-01-30, Donga (aka Bruce)
    > Brian Watson wrote:
    >
    >> Was not a good ad for us.
    >>
    >> Brian

    > Is there something about riding in groups that takes away our
    > individual common sense? In today's Brisbane rag is a complaint about
    > bunches (cafe-racing) going the wrong way around a roundabout. I never
    > thought a win was worth it, if it involved a shortcut. I don't
    > understand why folks do this, and as you say, it's a bad ad.

    You listening you two /naughty/ (and will remain nameless) people on
    the BR!

    --
    TimC
    [On being overcaffeinated...] Yes, this is possible - symptons include

  5. Daz1980

    Daz1980 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2004
    I try get out on the path a few times a week and have braved the shoulder only once so far (only relatively new to cycling). Sunday morning seems like a really good time to ride the shoulder as the traffic is very quiet. I am usually on the path at about seven on sundays and there is always a large number of bikes of all types on both on the shoulder and the Path.

  6. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    TimC wrote:

    >>Is there something about riding in groups that takes away our
    >>individual common sense? In today's Brisbane rag is a complaint about
    >>bunches (cafe-racing) going the wrong way around a roundabout. I never
    >>thought a win was worth it, if it involved a shortcut. I don't
    >>understand why folks do this, and as you say, it's a bad ad.

    > You listening you two /naughty/ (and will remain nameless) people on
    > the BR!

    LOL, I was thinking the same thing Tim. Funny thing is one of them is
    a strong advocate of not running red lights.

    DaveB "names removed to protect the not so innocent"

  7. Donga

    Donga Guest

    I thought it was funny too - clever inoffensive flame on the
    politically incorrect.

    I spend a fair bit of time having a go at motorists who run red lights
    - is that what you mean, Dave? I point out that they kill, whereas
    errant cyclists usually irritate at worst. Both of them in a bit of
    careless hurry, both thinking that it's a bit of a laff. More a matter
    of proportion than principle, IMO.

    Donga.

  8. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Donga wrote:
    > I thought it was funny too - clever inoffensive flame on the
    > politically incorrect.
    >
    > I spend a fair bit of time having a go at motorists who run red lights
    > - is that what you mean, Dave?

    No I'm pretty sure Tim was referring to a particular roundabout on the
    Sunday BR.

    DaveB

  9. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-01-30, DaveB (aka Bruce)

    Two roundabouts on my mind on said ride, actually :)

    --
    TimC
    [advice on riding in traffic:] make eye contact with drivers at every

  10. Donga

    Donga Guest

    TimC wrote:

    > Two roundabouts on my mind on said ride, actually :)

    Arf arf.

  11. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Donga wrote:

    > Brian Watson wrote:
    >
    > > Was not a good ad for us.
    > >
    > > Brian

    > Is there something about riding in groups that takes away our
    > individual common sense? In today's Brisbane rag is a complaint about
    > bunches (cafe-racing) going the wrong way around a roundabout. I never
    > thought a win was worth it, if it involved a shortcut. I don't
    > understand why folks do this, and as you say, it's a bad ad.
    >
    > Donga

    Which roundabout?

  12. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Tam wrote:
    >Which roundabout?

    Indooroopilly and Lambert Roads - presumably outbound. Some bunches are
    pretty massive at this time of the year and it's easy to imagine them
    splitting around the island, with such a choke on that roundabout and
    crashes not uncommon there. It's funny how every year, the wind-up for
    the sprint is getting closer and closer to the start.

  13. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Ulp, I'm being a bit sensitive, sorry!
    rolleyes.

    Donga

  14. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Donga wrote:

    > Tam wrote:
    > >Which roundabout?

    > Indooroopilly and Lambert Roads - presumably outbound. Some bunches are
    > pretty massive at this time of the year and it's easy to imagine them
    > splitting around the island, with such a choke on that roundabout and
    > crashes not uncommon there. It's funny how every year, the wind-up for
    > the sprint is getting closer and closer to the start.

    Oh, that's the reverse camber roundabout. I always go SLOW around that
    one, outbound. Apparently there are quite a few places that the Park Rd
    group splits around islands, including one on the Chelmer Loop (why
    would you need to?)... I nearly got taken out by them once, when they
    were doing the River Ride and I was doing the reverse, up near
    Ormadale/Diana St intersections, they cut the corner completely across
    to my side. Pretty fscking scary stuff - someone needs to point out that
    it's not a race.

    Tam

  15. adam85

    adam85 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004
    Last time I did the 'Wednesday Worlds' everyone was running lights like along HonourAve/Oxley Rd just after the indooroopilly bridge, and near the cemetery at the top of Dutton Park. Even after I stopped everyone else streamed through. It's just not worth the risk and the bad reputation. The fast rides are the worst as noone wants to get left behind. I stopped and still managed to catch up - it's good training :)

    Adam

  16. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    adam85 wrote:

    > Donga Wrote:
    > > Tam wrote:
    > > >Which roundabout?

    > > Indooroopilly and Lambert Roads - presumably outbound. Some bunches
    > > are
    > > pretty massive at this time of the year and it's easy to imagine them
    > > splitting around the island, with such a choke on that roundabout and
    > > crashes not uncommon there. It's funny how every year, the wind-up for
    > > the sprint is getting closer and closer to the start.

    > Last time I did the 'Wednesday Worlds' everyone was running lights like
    > along HonourAve/Oxley Rd just after the indooroopilly bridge, and near
    > the cemetery at the top of Dutton Park. Even after I stopped everyone
    > else streamed through. It's just not worth the risk and the bad
    > reputation. The fast rides are the worst as noone wants to get left
    > behind. I stopped and still managed to catch up - it's good training
    > :)
    >
    > Adam

    See, that's fine for those who are capable of catching up...

    .... the rest of us just created the Lard Arse Rides.

  17. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Recently I was tootling along Orleigh St outbound while the Wednesday
    Worlds (love that, Adam!) was coming at high speed down Hoogley hill
    towards the ferry. As they cornered on my side they yelled 'Bike' and I
    pulled over for the rest of them to blast past. Even some of the
    back-markers were trying to gain time on the wrong side! I could have
    been one of the fairly common buses - nasty thought.

Share This Page