Rude Drivers

Uawadall

Jun 14, 2015
I know this topic has been discussed numerous times but, some drivers are lunatics. I'm on a pretty slow suburban road at 7:30 in the morning,plenty of room to pass. I'm also very close to the shoulder. This guy held onto his horn for a while from at least 6-8 car lengths away. Imo,I think some drivers aren't aware that BIKES ARE SUPPOSE TO BE ON THE ROAD. Its also disgusting that people try to intimidate others and feel above you because there in a car. How often do you deal with lunatic drivers?

If you are on a bike, you're going to deal with them a lot. It also depends on where you are riding, too. I dealt with a guy going about 20 over honking his horn and running me out of the bike lane. I was so angry.

AtlantaSports said:
If you are on a bike, you're going to deal with them a lot. It also depends on where you are riding, too. I dealt with a guy going about 20 over honking his horn and running me out of the bike lane. I was so angry.
What bothers me is I ride on the backroads of a low population area. The kind of area that if you leave early enough you can go miles without seeing any car. When someone goes honk crazy with ample room to pass(even though that isn't even an excuse), I question their motives.

Driving a car inflicts a type of madness into a normally rational person. I've felt it myself, well mostly against slo-peds so it's not THAT irrational.
If you cause them to have to drive a few m/kph less then want too it's essentially insulting them.
I try to deal with it by being aware of my surroundings, I don't have many yell at me, few honks here and there.
It's funny when a friend/family member is driving a car and we pass a bike, it gives me an opportunity and a reminder to tell them what it's like to be the rider in that situation OR I get to point how how the cyclist is fugging up.

It really does suck, but unfortunately bad/rude drivers are always going to be a cause for the need of caution while biking, especially on busy streets. My house is right off the secondary main street in my city car driving mods, so there is a constant stream of traffic, and nearly no one stays out of the bike lanes. It makes it hard to get onto the road in the first place, let alone continue riding safely. Plus there's some drivers that even purposely make it hard for bikers because they feel like those on bikes don't have a right to be on "their" road. If an accident happens with someone on a bike, its the biker that ends up getting blamed in most cases, too. Because y'know... riding a bike is so much more reckless then driving improperly in a huge vehicle that can cause harm & death through accidents.

Anything could happen when you are on the road just open to this kind of people you meet for your own safety. Someone could get so intimidating on purpose and may distract us just focus on your ride and the road ahead. That will save you fro trouble.

I am a car driver too so I should understand riders. But I simply cannot understand the habits of some riders particularly during traffic stops. They would position their bike right in front of my car. What a rude act. And when the traffic light turns to green, it takes time for that bike to move so I would sound my horn only to get an angry stare from the rider. I don't care if they think I am a rude driver but what I want them to know of their bad habit.

It happens. I've accidentally been a terrible person to cyclists on the road, but I try to give them the respect and leeway they deserve. It's the same kind of treatment I expect while on the road on my bike. Some people suck, others make mistakes, and then others are completely fine. I rarely have a bad experience while cycling in relation to motorists, but it can happen randomly and without warning.

Unfortunately, that is just something that you're going to have to get used to, because you will find those types of people all over the place. It is a shame, but sadly true. We have just as much right to be on the road as they do - it isn't safe for us to cycle on the pavement because of the pedestrians, so where else do they expect us to go? I always make sure that I give them as much space as possible, and that I listen out so that I can pull over if I'm on a country road that is difficult to overtake on, so I like to think that I am as considerate as I can possibly be. But that just doesn't seem to be enough for some people, unfortunately!

I always find that riding a bike like I would drive my car avoids most confrontations with motorists. Swerving in and out of traffic, hopping kerbs etc just aggravates people in cars. Of course you're going to get the odd maniac who wants an argument no matter what, but for the most part, people are cool.

GemmaRowlands said:
Unfortunately, that is just something that you're going to have to get used to, because you will find those types of people all over the place. It is a shame, but sadly true. We have just as much right to be on the road as they do - it isn't safe for us to cycle on the pavement because of the pedestrians, so where else do they expect us to go? I always make sure that I give them as much space as possible, and that I listen out so that I can pull over if I'm on a country road that is difficult to overtake on, so I like to think that I am as considerate as I can possibly be. But that just doesn't seem to be enough for some people, unfortunately!
There used to be a campaign here by Nestle, I think, about sharing the road. In their tv commercials, good driving is emphasized. In fairness to me, I am not really a rude car driver and I would never antagonize riders because being a rider myself, I understand their plight on the road - that they are tired from pedaling, annoyed with the pollution, and probably hungry too. What I am posting here are incidents about rude riders.

We had the Giro D'Italia here for 3 stages last year, and the atmosphere around it helped driver-cyclist relations, you could see motorists giving regular cyclists a bit more time. People have short memories though, and it's now pretty much back to normal.

Honestly, it's a really bad situation whenever there are rude drivers on the road. They not only endanger bikers, but also the safety of other cars on the roads. Me personally, I decide to fully stop and get to the side of the road if I know the person isn't going to pass me safely. It sucks and it completely takes me out of the zone for cycling but it's something I've learnt to deal with. I'd rather be safe than deal with these rude drivers.

I have experienced that while cycling. I usually have to assume them. If you have evidence that they are breaking road rules, then you can take a photo or short video and report them to the authorities. Rogue drivers can hit you even from behind, and I have seen that. Obey the road signs and you will be on the safe side incase of an accident.

It's a serious problem down here in South Africa. The arrogant driver and boy racer is all too prevalent on our roads. Road safety is a thing of the past and so is common courtesy. I try to ride on roads that have less traffic in order to avoid as many terrible drivers as I can. It's a good strategy, cycling has become far more enjoyable and my blood pressure doesn't hit the roof by getting angry for any altercations on the road.

It's really unfortunate that it is such a problem here in the United States with so many being lazy and obese and they are usually the impatient ones honking and screaming at you to get out of the way. It is just one of the issues we as cyclists have to deal with when living in areas that are not as cyclist friendly as other areas.

I love to see communities where more bike lanes are being put in place so it becomes a much more safe place for us to ride. I was living in a lovely area in Northern California where this was the case and have just relocated to North Carolina where it is much different and am still learning my way around and finding that some of these southern folks are very impatient drivers. Stay safe out there on the roads!

I follow the rules while riding in traffic, same as a car. I find that drivers are 99% o the time courteous. If we all reach a 4 way stop, they will wave use through. I always wave and thank them to show cyclists are just as courteous too.

I can see how some drivers get annoyed by cyclist who don't follow the rules. Heck I cycle and many cyclists have ****** me off. Just knowing they should stop but run lights etc, cut off cars, gets me annoyed myself.

I say show then some respect and they will show some courtesy. B)

I ride and drive and can understand pet peeves of both cyclists and drivers and to be honest, there are some bad drivers, but then again there are some bad cyclists too.

If I'm on a bike going along country roads I'll always pull in to let a car go by me if one is behind me, and If I'm in a car and I come along a cyclist along a country road I'll give him plenty of room. Some people may not like it but there are points where we are both on the road and we've got to respect each other.

Khatib22 said:
Honestly, it's a really bad situation whenever there are rude drivers on the road. They not only endanger bikers, but also the safety of other cars on the roads. Me personally, I decide to fully stop and get to the side of the road if I know the person isn't going to pass me safely. It sucks and it completely takes me out of the zone for cycling but it's something I've learnt to deal with. I'd rather be safe than deal with these rude drivers.
I don't fully stop, but I definitely slow down a great bit. I think that is really the best school of thinking whenever it comes to driving with bikers that are on the road.

Some drivers seem to hate cyclists regardless of how safe you're being.
I just try to stay super alert, give everyone as much room as I can, and give a lot of indication as to where I'm planning to go.
At the end of the day that's all you can really do. If some driver hates to see cyclists on the road, I can't really do anything to change that.
Instead I just focus on keeping myself and everyone else on the road as safe as I can.
Several times this has meant simply pulling over to the shoulder and giving an aggressive driver room to pass. I've been run into a ditch once by someone in a truck passing way too close, so I try to take steps to make sure something like that doesn't happen again.