Running Shoe cyclist in need of pedal recommendation

jsull14

Nov 26, 2005
Hi,

I'm new to cycling but I have begun to accessorize quite a bit with pumps, tubes, a car rack and more. But one thing I need are pedals. I still wear my Asics while cycling.

I have been looking at the Shimano Ultegra PD-6610 SPD-SL Pedal
but to be honest I wouldn't know if this is a good pedal or not.

Any advice for someone looking for a good pedal? I'm willing to spend a decent amount $$ but I certainly don't need top of the line.

I'm not sure it matters, but I weigh about 165lbs with 9 shoe size.

Thanks for any recommendations!

These pedals are not suitable for running shoes.

I use platform pedals with Power Grips or strapless toe clips for short try-events.

gclark8 said:
These pedals are not suitable for running shoes.

I use platform pedals with Power Grips or strapless toe clips for short try-events.
I am actually going to get new shoes (cleats) and the whole package. Sorry for not clarifying

jsull14 said:
I am actually going to get new shoes (cleats) and the whole package. Sorry for not clarifying
The Ultegra pedals that you mention are perfectly fine and will work with any road cycling shoe. Pedals are really a matter of preference. I use Speedplays, but I have also had good luck with Look and Shimano (I have never tried Time, but I hear good things about them too). Cyling shoe sizes vary quite a bit from company to company and I would recommend trying on a few brands to see what you like. I use a Diadora size 44, and I'm a US 10 1/2. I also have a pair of Pearl Izumi 44's and they are noticeably bigger. I wouldn't order shoes on-line unless you know exactly what brand and size you need, or are prepared to send them back. I prefer a stiff sole and a rachet closure for a fast and snug shoe.

jsull14 said:
The Ultegra pedals that you mention are perfectly fine and will work with any road cycling shoe. Pedals are really a matter of preference. I use Speedplays, but I have also had good luck with Look and Shimano (I have never tried Time, but I hear good things about them too). Cyling shoe sizes vary quite a bit from company to company and I would recommend trying on a few brands to see what you like. I use a Diadora size 44, and I'm a US 10 1/2. I also have a pair of Pearl Izumi 44's and they are noticeably bigger. I wouldn't order shoes on-line unless you know exactly what brand and size you need, or are prepared to send them back. I prefer a stiff sole and a rachet closure for a fast and snug shoe.

jsull14 said:

jsull14 said:
I'm new to cycling but I have begun to accessorize quite a bit with pumps

While I applaud your fashion sense, it's not practical to either bicycle or to run while wearing pumps. I would, at the very least, wear flats ...

:D

jsull14 said:

What ever you do, dont get caught up in the whole "weight junkie" thing, when it comes to your pedals/saddle.

With that said, you'll probably spend more on your shoes(I would)... a Sidi(Genius 3... 4.... 5) etc, or possibly a DMT, or certain Shimano shoes are good.

Pedals can be tricky to figure out what works best for you. I personally use the older Time Pro Equipes(1995-02).. great platform, easy on the knees, great overall design .......... and they can be found on Ebay for between $20-75 ....... depending if you want Mag./ Ti. spindal- $75ish , or Mag./steel spindal- $40ish , or Criterium Pro- Alum. body/steel spindal - $20ish.

Just make sure you get the proper fit shoe... better fit like a glove :)

Have you also considered the use of a double-sided mountain bike style pedal? These can be good if you are new to clipless pedals because they are much easier to clip into. You can also walk around much easier because of the smaller cleat. If you get mountain bike style shoes the cleat will be recessed into the sole of the shoe so its even easier.

That being said, if you are serious about road riding then a single-sided road pedal is the way to go. I use Looks myself which I have found pretty easy to use and very solid.

There's a rundown of different shoe/pedal systems and how they work at http://www.danonthe.net/clipless.html (my website)

I have used SPD and EGG BEATERS on my mountain bike, and Shimano R600 (older model from 2003). The platform on the Shimano feels much more sturdy for the road, and only took a short while to learn to walk a little more smoothly with the stiffer soled road shoes. Road shoes are not as comfortable for walking, so if you plan to often walk it would be easier with SPDs or eggbeaters. I walk whenever I shop, as I do not drive, and getting around the stores is easy enough in my road shoes. The cleats do wear more than SPD because they are not steel, but are relatively inexpensive to replace.
I am buying a pair of pedals for a friend and hoping to talk him into changing from his old SPD's to the Shimano road for his new road bike. :cool:

Hi

If you haven't already decided on your solution for shoes and pedals
the Shimano RB215 b shoes are excellent, the have the stiffest carbon soles in the market (don't know if this is a good or bad thing), ventilation ports etc http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/content/australia/en/cycling/products/shoes_and_pedals/road_shoes.html

also the ultegra or dura-ace spd sl pedals are good value as the have a wide foot platform (no hotspots on feet), relatively light, adjustable release tension (good for new to clipless pedals as you can set an light release tension intially), narrow profile for greater ground clearance while going around corners, neutral looks to match all frames (if your that way inclined), alloy bodies (have heard of some injection moulded pedal bodies breaking). Can't be all that bad if Lance used them.

http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/content/australia/en/cycling/products/shoes_and_pedals/road_pedals.html

Regards

I'm new to cycling but I have begun to accessorize quite a bit with pumps, tubes, a car rack and more. But one thing I need are pedals. I still wear my Asics while cycling.

I have been looking at the Shimano Ultegra PD-6610 SPD-SL Pedal
but to be honest I wouldn't know if this is a good pedal or not.

Any advice for someone looking for a good pedal? I'm willing to spend a decent amount $$ but I certainly don't need top of the line.

I'm not sure it matters, but I weigh about 165lbs with 9 shoe size.

Thanks for any recommendations![/QUOTE]

kleng said:
Hi

If you haven't already decided on your solution for shoes and pedals
the Shimano RB215 b shoes are excellent, the have the stiffest carbon soles in the market (don't know if this is a good or bad thing), ventilation ports etc http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/content/australia/en/cycling/products/shoes_and_pedals/road_shoes.html

also the ultegra or dura-ace spd sl pedals are good value as the have a wide foot platform (no hotspots on feet), relatively light, adjustable release tension (good for new to clipless pedals as you can set an light release tension intially), narrow profile for greater ground clearance while going around corners, neutral looks to match all frames (if your that way inclined), alloy bodies (have heard of some injection moulded pedal bodies breaking). Can't be all that bad if Lance used them.

http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/content/australia/en/cycling/products/shoes_and_pedals/road_pedals.html

Regards
Thanks Kleng. I actually got the Shimano R151 shoes which have a stiff carbon sole. They're not quite the 215 but still nice. I also got Look 296 pedals. Today was the first ride with both. It was great. I can't believe I ever went a day without clipless. I had two minor crashes when I couldn't eject in time but nothing too serious. My only concern is that my knees are hurting a bit more than normal after I ride. I'm hoping this is a "good" soreness.

Hi

sore knees could be the result of wrong seat height, to get an approximate, this link tells you how to do it. I have used inseam x .883
to get the approximate bottom bracket to seat measurement.
This can be then tweaked with slight adjustments.

http://www.bikenow.com.au/u-fit/index.htm

remember to only make small adjustments

also have a look at the seat postion sections and cleat positioning (in the shoes sections).

Regards
Ken

jsull14 said:
Thanks Kleng. I actually got the Shimano R151 shoes which have a stiff carbon sole. They're not quite the 215 but still nice. I also got Look 296 pedals. Today was the first ride with both. It was great. I can't believe I ever went a day without clipless. I had two minor crashes when I couldn't eject in time but nothing too serious. My only concern is that my knees are hurting a bit more than normal after I ride. I'm hoping this is a "good" soreness.

kleng said:
Hi

sore knees could be the result of wrong seat height, to get an approximate, this link tells you how to do it. I have used inseam x .883
to get the approximate bottom bracket to seat measurement.
This can be then tweaked with slight adjustments.

http://www.bikenow.com.au/u-fit/index.htm

remember to only make small adjustments

also have a look at the seat postion sections and cleat positioning (in the shoes sections).

Regards
Ken
i like the look pedals that i have