Running with an ICD

Icd Mic

Guest
I have been lurking for months, and now have a question which I hope you guys can help me with. I
ran regularly until the end of September. I then had several episodes of Ventricular tachycardia
(VTAC), and now have an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) in my chest. Until my episodes
(which came out of left field, totally asymptomatic), I ran 20-25 miles a week, plus some bicycling
and swimming (no interest in tri's, just like the sports). The doctors say that I can expect to
recover and continue my lifestyle and occupation (U.S. Marine), but right now I am fighting the
funk: I am only permitted to walk 1/2 mile a day, can't shave or get a haircut, no pullups or
pushups, and am turning into a big fat slug. While the doctors say I should return to normal, I
haven't met or talked to anyone with my condition. Anyone out there have any knowledge of someone
who has overcome VTAC? I could use the motivation. Thanks!

You'll be dead in a week.

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 20:12:00 GMT, "ICD Mic" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have been lurking for months, and now have a question which I hope you guys can help me with. I
>ran regularly until the end of September. I then had several episodes of Ventricular tachycardia
>(VTAC), and now have an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) in my chest. Until my episodes
>(which came out of left field, totally asymptomatic), I ran 20-25 miles a week, plus some bicycling
>and swimming (no interest in tri's, just like the sports). The doctors say that I can expect to
>recover and continue my lifestyle and occupation (U.S. Marine), but right now I am fighting the
>funk: I am only permitted to walk 1/2 mile a day, can't shave or get a haircut, no pullups or
>pushups, and am turning into a big fat slug. While the doctors say I should return to normal, I
>haven't met or talked to anyone with my condition. Anyone out there have any knowledge of someone
>who has overcome VTAC? I could use the motivation. Thanks!

I developed VT in April and have an ICD and am also on beta blockers that limit my HR to a max of
140-145 (my VT occurs at about 150 and I wear a HR monitor when running to make sure I don't go over
145). Mine developed while I was training for a 100 mile race and an attempted ablation failed so I
know exactly what you're going through. I was initially told that I "might" be able to run 5 miles
again if everything went perfect. Yesterday I did a trail marathon with 4000' of climb and took
first in my AG. In 2 weeks I'm doing my first 50K since the onset of the VT and I hope to be back up
to 50 mile races by next spring. I'm obviously a little slower than before and uphills are a
struggle but I'm proof that it can be done.

Are you on beta blockers and how can you stay on active duty?

BTW, what's with the no shaving/haircut?

--
- The Trailrunner

Anti-Spam Alert: If you wish to reply, cut the *BS*

Trails of The Diablo Valley *Running - Hiking - Nature*

Thanks for the info!! I'm starting to feel better, and am getting itchy to get more exercise in, but
SWMBO is understandably nervous. I have a follow-up tomorrow to examine the incision, and hopefully
I will be permitted to go further on my walks. I know I can't run until the leads settle in place,
but I really don't understand why I can't walk further if I don't sweat and compromise the DermaBond
or accelerate the heart and pull the leads. In regards to the Beta Blockers, I'm taking Pacerone to
slow the heart a little, but haven't heard it called a Beta Blocker. I will ask on my follow-up. The
hope is to get the dosage lowered to the minimum and eventually eliminated. I don't want to turn
into Papa Smurf. As far as I have learned, as long as I can maintain physical standards after
recuperation, I should be able to stay green. And about the shave and haircut, after 22 years, it
just doesn't feel right. I was on tubes and wires during my stay in the hospital, and am not
permitted to shave or get a haircut until the incision heals, to prevent infection in case one gets
where it doesn't belong. I'm used to a weekly lowering of the ears every Sunday, and I've now missed
three straight. Grumble, Grumble, Gripe...a *****ing Marine is a happy Marine.

Mic

"The Trailrunner" <TheTrailhead*BS*@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> I developed VT in April and have an ICD and am also on beta blockers that limit my HR to a max of
> 140-145 (my VT occurs at about 150 and I wear a HR monitor when running to make sure I don't go
> over 145). Mine developed while I was training for a 100 mile race and an attempted ablation
> failed so I know exactly what you're going through. I was initially told that I "might" be able to
> run 5 miles again if everything went perfect. Yesterday I did a trail marathon with 4000' of climb
> and took first in my AG. In 2 weeks I'm doing my first 50K since the onset of the VT and I hope to
> be back up to 50 mile races by next spring. I'm obviously a little slower than before and uphills
> are a struggle but I'm proof that it can be done.
>
> Are you on beta blockers and how can you stay on active duty?
>
> BTW, what's with the no shaving/haircut?
>
> ICD Mic wrote:
>
> > I have been lurking for months, and now have a question which I hope you guys can help me with.
> > I ran regularly until the end of September. I then had several episodes
of
> > Ventricular tachycardia (VTAC), and now have an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) in
> > my chest. Until my episodes (which
came
> > out of left field, totally asymptomatic), I ran 20-25 miles a week, plus some bicycling and
> > swimming (no interest in tri's, just like the
sports).
> > The doctors say that I can expect to recover and continue my lifestyle
and
> > occupation (U.S. Marine), but right now I am fighting the funk: I am
only
> > permitted to walk 1/2 mile a day, can't shave or get a haircut, no
pullups
> > or pushups, and am turning into a big fat slug. While the doctors say I should return to normal,
> > I haven't met or talked
> > anyone with my condition. Anyone out there have any knowledge of
someone
> > who has overcome VTAC? I could use the motivation. Thanks!
> >

> --
> - The Trailrunner
>
> Anti-Spam Alert: If you wish to reply, cut the *BS*
>
> Trails of The Diablo Valley *Running - Hiking - Nature*
> http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/6016/

Hey there,
I just found this thread. I've been running for 45 years, done 50 marathons and some ultras, and just had a VTach last month after a mediocre 10K. An ambulance was called and I was shocked back into a normal heart rhythm. Had an EPS where they found several spots in my ventricle that would trigger tachycardia, so now I have an ICD. Wondering how you are doing with your running.
The doctor doesn't want me to do any more marathons, which I could live with, but I'm initially concerned about going into tachycardia again. I've been stable since my one event and am starting to do some walking to get my fitness back. I was in the hospital for 1 1/2 weeks.
Have you been shocked at all? How often? Is that something you live with? Tachycardia scares the **** out of me; the doctor says I'm lucky to still be here. I would love to think about running again but the whole thing is difficult to get used to.
I'm 59, have run a couple marathons a year during the last 25 years (Boston twice) and wondering what the future looks like. Would love to hear about your experiences. They have me on a light dose of metoprolol, a beta blocker. I think my ICD is set to shock at 178 or so. I don't have any idea what heart rate might set off tachycardia. I've been thinking about getting a watch with a heart rate monitor, so I can keep in a safe zone - but I don't know what a safe zone is at this point. I have a stress test set in a couple weeks; maybe that will help me figure of what a "safe zone" is, if there is such a thing.
How are things going for you?
Thanks,
Dave
Santa Cruz, CA

Hi, 39 yr old avid runner. Had sustained vtach a few months ago. Damage, scarring, to my right ventricle and a little on my left. Passed all invasive tests. Docs still not sure what I have. I now have an icd and on the beta blocker, sotalol. Just started to run again after 8 weeks of icd healing time. I am much slower but i will take it over nothing. I am slowly getting miles in, but it's going to take a while. I am only up to 3 miles. I have anxiety about being shocked. My icd is set to shock at 230. I wear an hrm. I realize this is an old post but wanted to see how you all were doing today? Is there hope for me?