S-works Venge Vs Tarmac

jwroubaix

Jun 6, 2007
Let me start by saying I am by no means a great rider. My rides are 30 miles tops. I know both of these bikes are both over my skill level, however I just love the looks of them. I haven't been able to ride either of the bikes since it's winter here. How are these bikes from a comfort level? I really want the Venge but am m a little concerned that it appears you in more of an aero position, is it not as comfortable? I'm also thinking of buying used since you can get a great deal, what are people's opinions on buying used?

jwroubaix said:
Let me start by saying I am by no means a great rider. My rides are 30 miles tops. I know both of these bikes are both over my skill level, however I just love the looks of them. I haven't been able to ride either of the bikes since it's winter here. How are these bikes from a comfort level? I really want the Venge but am m a little concerned that it appears you in more of an aero position, is it not as comfortable? I'm also thinking of buying used since you can get a great deal, what are people's opinions on buying used?
Both are better bikes that us mortals need, go for the one that looks the best ;)

The Venge and Upper level Tarmacs share the same geometry. Depending on how you rig either of them you can look like a squirrel begging for a nut or like a flat-back domestique out front on a 150 Km break.

"Comfortable" is a very subjective adjective to apply to a bicycle. Their are too many variables for one rider to transfer to another. Both the Venge and Tarmac are comfortable enough for professional stage racers to pound away on for 120-mile day after 120-mile day.

Would you rate it as comfy while attempting that?

For 30 mile rides both of these fine frames are going to be smooth enough that with the right wheels and tires/tire pressure you'll be fine. Again, you may look a bit odd to some folks if your seen on a Venge with 30 MM of spacers under a stem that's flipped up, but if it works for you, keeps you feeling good during your 30 mile rides...who knows? You may end up feeling like one of those pro's and going hard for 60 miles.

One last word of advice. Before I dropped the kind of money a Venge or high-end Tarmac runs, I would wait for a Spring thaw and go test ride one for an hour or so ride. Hell, if it's as cold and snowy as Ohio is right now you would be really smart, in my opinion, to book a flight to dealer down south that has them in your size and spend the next two weeks test riding and buying one down there.

Reactions: steve