Safe winter biking.

coffee&bikes

Oct 10, 2017
Hey guys. Hope that the admin will not ban me for sharing a guide with that found yesterday.

As the winter is getting stronger in my country, i had to do some research about biking in winter. This is my first year commuting at this time of the year. I always commuted only in summer and spring.

I liked the idea that you put zip ties on your tire. Il update later how my bike looks with those zip ties. ;)

So this is something new for me and maybe someone will find it useful too.

Here is the post that im taking as a tutorial for me- Safe Winter Biking

Maybe you can share some tips how you deal with winter and how are you staying safe on the slippery roads?

I am lucky to be in a tropical country because a friend in Canada is telling me that the ice is slippery so she cannot use her bike during winter. Over here, it is also slippery when it is raining but the rubber tires can definitely get hold of a good traction unless the road is greasy. And I have seen on the news what a slippery road can do to us bikers. Another friend in Japan who commutes by bike on her way to work was complaining the other day to me that she had to take the train which is adding cost to her expenses. She said that it is foolish to use the bike when there is snow for you are putting yourself at risk.

Now I musing on this idea of zip ties for safe winter biking. Is it really worth to ride the bike in winter?

Reactions: coffee&bikes
I am lucky to be in a tropical country because a friend in Canada is telling me that the ice is slippery so she cannot use her bike during winter. Over here, it is also slippery when it is raining but the rubber tires can definitely get hold of a good traction unless the road is greasy. And I have seen on the news what a slippery road can do to us bikers. Another friend in Japan who commutes by bike on her way to work was complaining the other day to me that she had to take the train which is adding cost to her expenses. She said that it is foolish to use the bike when there is snow for you are putting yourself at risk.

Now I musing on this idea of zip ties for safe winter biking. Is it really worth to ride the bike in winter?

It is. Maybe it is not so safe, but maybe someone has no other way to get to work.

And i think it is kind of fun.