Salsa too spicy..add cilantro?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by nickolas80@gmail.com, May 19, 2007.

  1. I made some salsa, and added a bit of some new habenero sauce I picked
    up while in New Mexico. Long story short...it is a bit too hot (and I
    like Hot!).
    What can I do to tone the heat down? Someone once told me cilantro
    will milden it up a bit, is this true? Any other ideas?

    Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    nickolas80@gmail.com wrote:
    > I made some salsa, and added a bit of some new habenero sauce I picked
    > up while in New Mexico. Long story short...it is a bit too hot (and I
    > like Hot!).
    > What can I do to tone the heat down? Someone once told me cilantro
    > will milden it up a bit, is this true? Any other ideas?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Cilantro will make it taste like soap. I guess that might be a good
    thing...

    Add tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers. "The solution to pollution is
    dilution."

    Bob

  3. Tara

    Tara Guest

    On 19 May 2007 08:18:56 -0700, nickolas80@gmail.com wrote:

    >I made some salsa, and added a bit of some new habenero sauce I picked
    >up while in New Mexico. Long story short...it is a bit too hot (and I
    >like Hot!).
    >What can I do to tone the heat down? Someone once told me cilantro
    >will milden it up a bit, is this true? Any other ideas?

    I would make a bit more unspiced salsa and mix it with the spicy
    salsa. I love cilantro in salsa, but I don't know that it would tame
    the heat.

    Tara

  4. Zilbandy

    Zilbandy Guest

    On Sat, 19 May 2007 10:23:32 -0500, zxcvbob <zxcvbob@charter.net>
    wrote:

    >> What can I do to tone the heat down? Someone once told me cilantro
    >> will milden it up a bit, is this true? Any other ideas?
    >>

    >Cilantro will make it taste like soap. I guess that might be a good
    >thing...
    >
    >Add tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers. "The solution to pollution is
    >dilution."

    It's amazing what a couple of jars of mild salsa can do, huh? LOL

    --
    Zilbandy

  5. The Joneses

    The Joneses Guest

    "zxcvbob" <zxcvbob@charter.net> wrote in message
    > nickolas80@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I made some salsa, and added a bit of some new habenero sauce I picked
    >> up while in New Mexico. Long story short...it is a bit too hot (and I
    >> like Hot!).
    >> What can I do to tone the heat down? Someone once told me cilantro
    >> will milden it up a bit, is this true? Any other ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>

    > Cilantro will make it taste like soap. I guess that might be a good
    > thing...
    >
    > Add tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers. "The solution to pollution is
    > dilution."
    >
    > Bob

    Sugar is a good antidote, but then your salsa would be sweet. If you didn't
    make a lot, just toss and try again. Not *everything* I make is perfect.
    Chalk it up to learning.
    Edrena
    Life's too short to waste it worrying.

  6. sf

    sf Guest

    On 19 May 2007 08:18:56 -0700, nickolas80@gmail.com wrote:

    >I made some salsa, and added a bit of some new habenero sauce I picked
    >up while in New Mexico. Long story short...it is a bit too hot (and I
    >like Hot!).
    >What can I do to tone the heat down? Someone once told me cilantro
    >will milden it up a bit, is this true? Any other ideas?

    Cilantro won't tone down the heat, but it will add flavor (I love
    cilantro) - so maybe the heat won't be as noticed. Try adding a
    little more lime/lemon. A decent hot salsa is all the better for beer
    and chips, my dear. So go with it and toughen up.

    The best way to tone down heat is to make a big batch of guacomole to
    go with it, then people cah scoop the guacomole and salsa together.
    Have dish of sour cream on the side too.

    If you don't want to do any of the above, then the only thing that
    really works is to dilute with more "unheated" salsa ingredients.

    --
    See return address to reply by email

  7. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    nickolas80@gmail.com wrote:
    > I made some salsa, and added a bit of some new habenero sauce I picked
    > up while in New Mexico. Long story short...it is a bit too hot (and I
    > like Hot!).
    > What can I do to tone the heat down? Someone once told me cilantro
    > will milden it up a bit, is this true? Any other ideas?
    >
    > Thanks!

    I would maybe add a little more tomato and perhaps lime juice? You never
    said what ingredients you originally used and what porportions, so it's hard
    to say. When I make salsa, I generally use lime and vinegar to help dilute
    the jalepenos. Other people's ideas may vary from mine, but that's just
    what I do. I don't think cilantro is going to cut it. It's just a leaf
    like parsley. (Doesn't taste like parsley, but I mean, how can that help
    eliminate the heat of peppers? Does parsley eliminate garlic from a pasta
    dish?)

    Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

    kili

  8. Chatty Cathy

    Chatty Cathy Guest

    zxcvbob wrote:

    > Cilantro will make it taste like soap.

    Hmpf, That's IYHO, no doubt?
    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy

  9. Skyhooks

    Skyhooks Guest

    nickolas80@gmail.com wrote:

    > I made some salsa, and added a bit of some new habenero sauce I picked
    > up while in New Mexico. Long story short...it is a bit too hot (and I
    > like Hot!).
    > What can I do to tone the heat down? Someone once told me cilantro
    > will milden it up a bit, is this true? Any other ideas?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Just make more salsa without the heat and add to the hot salsa to dilute
    it.

    Sky

  10. Chatty Cathy

    Chatty Cathy Guest

    sf wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 May 2007 18:24:03 +0200, Chatty Cathy
    > <cathy1234@mailinator.com> wrote:
    >
    >> zxcvbob wrote:
    >>
    >>> Cilantro will make it taste like soap.

    >> Hmpf, That's IYHO, no doubt?

    > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/survey/result.html?survey=92

    I rest my case! LOL

    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy

  11. sf

    sf Guest

  12. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "Chatty Cathy" <cathy1234@mailinator.com> wrote in message
    > sf wrote:
    >> On Sat, 19 May 2007 18:24:03 +0200, Chatty Cathy
    >> <cathy1234@mailinator.com> wrote:

    >>> Hmpf, That's IYHO, no doubt?

    >> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/survey/result.html?survey=92
    >>

    > I rest my case! LOL
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Chatty Cathy

    I always thought pickled ginger tasted like soap, I do like cilantro though.

  13. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    nickolas80@gmail.com wrote:
    > I made some salsa, and added a bit of some new habenero sauce I picked
    > up while in New Mexico. Long story short...it is a bit too hot (and I
    > like Hot!).
    > What can I do to tone the heat down? Someone once told me cilantro
    > will milden it up a bit, is this true? Any other ideas?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Add a can of crushed tomatoes in tomato puree.

  14. Perhaps not appropriate for your salsa, but dairy products (especially
    yogurt) will tame the heat. And who knows, maybe a creamy salsa would
    be good?

  15. Perhaps not appropriate for your salsa, but dairy products (especially
    yogurt) will tame the heat. And who knows, maybe a creamy salsa would
    be good?

  16. Serene

    Serene Guest

    blaimue@gmail.com wrote:
    > Perhaps not appropriate for your salsa, but dairy products (especially
    > yogurt) will tame the heat. And who knows, maybe a creamy salsa would
    > be good?

    I love salsa mixed with sour cream. YUM.

    Serene

  17. "zxcvbob" <zxcvbob@charter.net> wrote in message
    > nickolas80@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I made some salsa, and added a bit of some new habenero sauce I picked
    >> up while in New Mexico. Long story short...it is a bit too hot (and I
    >> like Hot!).
    >> What can I do to tone the heat down? Someone once told me cilantro
    >> will milden it up a bit, is this true? Any other ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>

    > Cilantro will make it taste like soap. I guess that might be a good
    > thing...
    >
    > Add tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers. "The solution to pollution is
    > dilution."
    >
    > Bob

    Cilantro will make it taste like salsa. Bell peppers will make it taste
    like garbage. To make it less hot, add tomatoes.

    Habanero is for masochists; it has practically no flavor, only hot. Make
    salsa out of some decent peppers next time.

    Mitch

  18. The Joneses

    The Joneses Guest

    "Mitch Scherer" <mitch@dont.reply> wrote in message
    > "zxcvbob" <zxcvbob@charter.net> wrote in message
    >> nickolas80@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> I made some salsa, and added a bit of some new habenero sauce I picked
    >>> up while in New Mexico. Long story short...it is a bit too hot (and I
    >>> like Hot!).
    >>> What can I do to tone the heat down? Someone once told me cilantro
    >>> will milden it up a bit, is this true? Any other ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>

    >> Cilantro will make it taste like soap. I guess that might be a good
    >> thing...
    >>
    >> Add tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers. "The solution to pollution is
    >> dilution."
    >>
    >> Bob

    > Cilantro will make it taste like salsa. Bell peppers will make it taste
    > like garbage. To make it less hot, add tomatoes.
    >
    > Habanero is for masochists; it has practically no flavor, only hot. Make
    > salsa out of some decent peppers next time.
    >
    > Mitch

    I don't agree. I use habs in strawberry or peach jam, but clear the ribs &
    seeds. One isn't enough for me, but more than three in the batch is too
    much. A pile of habs so cleaned, sliced, with seasoned vinegar poured over
    can add a nice kick to casseroles, soups & salad. And keeps forever.
    A body can go overboard on anything though. Habs to me have a fruity sort
    of flavor, but I use them with caution. And rubber gloves.
    Edrena

  19. Peter

    Peter Guest

    > "zxcvbob" <zxcvbob@charter.net> wrote in message
    >> nickolas80@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> I made some salsa, and added a bit of some new habenero sauce I picked
    >>> up while in New Mexico. Long story short...it is a bit too hot (and I
    >>> like Hot!).
    >>> What can I do to tone the heat down? Someone once told me cilantro
    >>> will milden it up a bit, is this true? Any other ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>

    >> Cilantro will make it taste like soap. I guess that might be a good
    >> thing...
    >>
    >> Add tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers. "The solution to pollution is
    >> dilution."
    >>
    >> Bob

    > Cilantro will make it taste like salsa. Bell peppers will make it taste
    > like garbage. To make it less hot, add tomatoes.
    >
    > Habanero is for masochists; it has practically no flavor, only hot. Make
    > salsa out of some decent peppers next time.
    >
    > Mitch

    Nah, Habs are OK when used properly, they do have a nice flavour. I would
    still not suggest them to anyone who doesn't like very hot food though.

Share This Page