Santa Cruz 2006

Mntbikegal80305

Sep 24, 2012
I purchased a 2006 Santa Cruz superlight mnt bike for my 18 year old daughter. The fork broke. Should I shell out $250 - $300 for a new RockShox REBA, or purchase another used bike for $1,200??

Originally Posted by Mntbikegal80305 .

I purchased a 2006 Santa Cruz superlight mnt bike for my 18 year old daughter. The fork broke. Should I shell out $250 - $300 for a new RockShox REBA, or purchase another used bike for $1,200??
Buy the fork if the rest of the bike is in good condition. It is speced with some very good components and if they are all working well and not worn out, then it should be good. Of course, if your daughter is just going to commute to and from school on a paved surface, then you can get away with turning the bike into a hartail by putting a standard, non-suspension fork on it. BTW, I hope that it was a Superlight R. If it was a Superlight D, and you paid $1200 for it, I think that you paid too much. 7 year old bikes that sold for $1500 usually lose more than $300 when they are resold. If it was a Superlight R, then it's MSRP was close to $2000 and would be a much more sane deal.

Isn't the REBA a 29er fork?

Or, has that label been extended to 26er forks, too?

Just buy a replacement suspenson fork ... I recommend a MARZOCCHI fork.

BTW. Many suspension forks can be 'rebuilt' to spec ... of course, some are not worth rebuilding (e.g., some inexpensive OEM forks which have steel lowers come to mind).

For reasons which are not clear to me, Manitou forks which are rebuilt are not restored to spec according to those who have had their forks rebuilt.