Saturday Miles...did You Ride? Hot Miles Today!

Mr. Beanz

Aug 18, 2015
53 miles as a birthday ride for Gina. Just us too today. Found rather quickly we were a couple of the very few out there today. While riding I saw my Garmin rise to 108 on the bike. Got home and plugged in to see the numbers!
icon_eek.gif
Checked out the weather channel and saw it was 103 today.

Poor Gina really suffered. Half way through the ride I offered to call it quits but she said no, we've come this far!
icon_thumbsup.gif

It was hot, arms fatigued and hard breathing but we got it done. It was like riding in slow motion but we got it done. Gina is such a trooper!
icon_biggrin.gif

101015A_zpsagdsft7n.jpg

101015C_zpslj48neyt.jpg

I had a little fun as she let me splash her down a few times along the way!

101015B_zpstmkxexlp.jpg

Numbers!

101015D_zpsstrx6mbe.jpg

Reactions: BobCochran
Happy birthday to Gina! And the two of you are amazing, riding in 109 degree heat. I'll try that some day to see how much determination I have. :)

Well done!

I bet you will both sleep very well tonight.

Bob

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
BobCochran said:
Happy birthday to Gina! And the two of you are amazing, riding in 109 degree heat. I'll try that some day to see how much determination I have. :)

Well done!

I bet you will both sleep very well tonight.

Bob

Thanks Bob! Now it's time for the birthday dinner! I sure hop we get some sleep cause tomorrow it's s'posed to be hot again! :angry:

I give Gina a lot of credit. She used to suffer when it was 80. Now she only suffers at 105! :lol:

Very impressive and to stuff with that heat!

I think the average Brit would melt in that sort of heat :D

Yeah, that's a warm ride! 103 is hot no matter how you slice it. And I see no shade in those pictures.

Yesterday was only 25 miles. Too many chores needed done. Me and The Boy Wonder rolled out for a 71-miler at 12:30 today. Cool and 65° to 70° with a screaming wind running steady 13 to 17 MPH with gusts into the mid-20's.

The last 30 miles were into a block headwind. Boy Wonder wasn't suffering much and kept forcing us through the wind. He pulled longer than me and faster than me...and dropped my sorry ass over the top of a rise that we might normally crest at16-18 MPH. The wind slowed me over the top to 12 MPH like my brakes were dragging! I chased hard over the next three little rollers and only holding onto the big ring over the last one allowed me to bridge after a mile or so of chasing. I finished with some strength left. We did about 2,700' of climbing and averaged 16.4 MPH despite the 30 miles of pain and driving it on.

Still, the views were great, the sun was in a cloudless sky, the trees were turning gold and orange and the talk was mainly about the World Roads and racing.

I got back to the car to find cords showing on the rear tire. Life is measured in worn out bike tires. I allowed a wry smile to cross my face, knowing one more dead soldier was added to life's pile.

I hope everyone's Sunday was as enjoyable as mine.

Nice write up CB! I agree about the worn tires. That is why I keep a stash of 2-4 at all times. Order online way ahead and save lots of cash. that way you are never forced to pay that $75 for one tire at the shop. :lol:

I have a stack of 5 or 6 worn tires in the closet. I have a hard time parting with the old soldiers. I keep thinking they will be good for something.

Actually one time I was not able to make a forum ride up into the mountains. No water available so after I left work, took some tools and water, headed up in my truck to do a little support. Luckily I took one of the old soldiers (best of the bunch). SOme chick ended up slicing a tire so I slapped it on then she finished the ride. B)

Reactions: BobCochran
Thanks to his videos, I feel almost like I know the town where Mr. Beanz lives. Your description of Ohio is so interesting that I wish we could see videos of your rides, CampyBob.

Thanks a ton

Bob

Robert, I have no video camera. My rides are not anything special, but we do have fun! Ohio is a lot like where you live! Colin puts up some really good videos and so does that Cube guy from Germany. His Mallorca rides are spectacular and the videos are top quality. Search the forum for those two guys...it's well worth wasting a couple rainy day hours to watch some of their rides.

Quote by Mr. B.
"I have a hard time parting with the old soldiers. I keep thinking they will be good for something.

I'm the same way with worn out, shredded gloves. I've kept a few well worn or crashed in team jerseys too. And I've only sold off a couple of my old bikes or framesets. The old tires I just pitch. I probably would have filled a couple of closets with them by now!

Thanks, CampyBob! I'm always interested in seeing videos by masters. I can so learn from you. :)

I'm so inexperienced that I don't save too much old stuff. I have very little "old stuff". I'm mostly in buying mode, in fact. My next goal is to get sunglasses and a bike fit, then see if I can keep riding through the Maryland winter.

Thanks a ton

Bob

Watch Cube's warm, sunny Mallorca rides on your trainer during Winter snows and cold spells. They helped keep me fired up to get back outside when Ohio went through those last two Ice-Age Winters.

Quote by CampyBob:

"Colin puts up some really good videos..."

My gosh, so he does. You are talking about user collin2985, yes? A Category 3 racer? I just spent the afternoon taking your advice and watching his race videos. Then I noticed a 25 mile group ride video, I guess of the Artemis racing team members. These people were doing their ride within about 2 miles from my home. I ride on part of their route every now and then, but I don't know the entire route they did use. They are all much fitter than me, with that 23 mph ride average.

Looks like Collin himself had a couple crashes. I also found a thread where you and Collin were discussing his races. I'm real glad of the chance to see actual participant movies of races. It is a really good education for me.

As to CubeRacer and Mallorca, I'm not sure I found the right gent, or the right videos, but they do seem quite interesting. The Mallorca road signs seem quite British.

Thanks a ton

Bob