Self-designed Seat Cover

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by UNIquelyCanadian, Jan 31, 2005.

  1. Here is a photo of a seat cover I designed for my KH20 Unicycle (Fusion
    saddle). Made of denim material, with draw-string attachment
    underneath. What do you think of the prototype?

    | Attachment filename: camerondonaldsonseat.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/273361|

    UNIquelyCanadian - Muni Rider

    "The skull is great helmet, and with no brain inside you can have
    maximum protection; your teeth are safe " - Always wear a helmet.
    UNIquelyCanadian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7524

  2. Kayote

    Kayote Guest

  3. DigitalDave

    DigitalDave Guest

    Looks great !

    But denim holds moisture :(
    It wont be long before mildew sets in :(

    --
    DigitalDave - scabless

    'nf7-s ~ xp2400mobile'
    (http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=21988)
    '20,124 3dm01' (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8399731)

    my will to live was stronger than my will to die. - iggy pop
    that which does not kill me, makes me stronger. - friedrich nietzsche

    DigitalDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8003

  4. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    That looks nice. Many years ago (1982?) my mom made me a denim Miyata
    seat replacement. To give you an idea how long ago this was, it was for
    the old Miyata seats with *metal bumpers*. We kept the white vinyl top
    part from a seat where the sides were all ripped up, and replaced the
    sides with blue-jean denim.

    I thought that should be really tough. I was surprised to see how fast
    it wore through. This is in part due to the high friction areas along
    the bottom edge of the seat. I think the KH saddle will have less
    friction in those areas, so it should hold up a lot better. But that old
    vinyl seat stuff was definitely stronger than the denim we used back
    then.

    --
    johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

  5. Thanks for the comments! I see how demin probably isn't the greatest
    material to use. That material was really just as a "trial" to get a
    pattern worked out, since it was easy to work with. I've got a leather
    jacket, which I can cut up and use for the next round of testing. Any
    other suggestions for a good material to use?

    | Attachment filename: cdseatpattern.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/273379|

  6. UNIquelyCanadian wrote:
    > *Thanks for the comments! I see how demin probably isn't the greatest
    > material to use. Any other suggestions for a good material to use? *

    That is a really great looking cover. I have made quite a few myself.
    Vinyl is my material of choice :) It wears well and has some stretch to
    it which makes fitting it onto the saddle a little easier

    --
    Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

    If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

    Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

  7. brockfisher05: yes, we were really pleased with how the seat turned
    out!

    Krashin'Kenny: As soon as I can find some vinyl, I'll give that a try;
    thanks for the suggestion!

    I now have the coat disassembled and the pattern cut out in dark-green
    smooth leather. We are in the process of machine-stitching it together
    now. Here are the pieces...

    | Attachment filename: leather_seat.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/273436|

    UNIquelyCanadian - Muni Rider

    "The skull is great helmet, and with no brain inside you can have
    maximum protection; your teeth are safe " - Always wear a helmet.
    UNIquelyCanadian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7524

  8. DigitalDave

    DigitalDave Guest

    Leather wouldn't hold up good.

    You would need to constantly maintain it though, if you want to keep it
    water resistant.
    Remember that leather is heavy, esp. when wet.
    It also changes size too.
    (shrinks when dry)
    And it's not very strong, it may rip at your stiching.

    So, maybe not so good either, but hey!,,, for looks and comfort
    :thumbsup

    --
    DigitalDave - scabless

    'nf7-s ~ xp2400mobile'
    (http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=21988)
    '20,124 3dm01' (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8399731)

    my will to live was stronger than my will to die. - iggy pop
    that which does not kill me, makes me stronger. - friedrich nietzsche

    DigitalDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8003

  9. I've finished my newest prototype. The leather looks quite nice, and
    feels comfortable. We will have to see how it wears.

    | Attachment filename: camerondonaldsonleatherseat.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/273925|

    UNIquelyCanadian - Muni Rider

    "The skull is great helmet, and with no brain inside you can have
    maximum protection; your teeth are safe " - Always wear a helmet.
    UNIquelyCanadian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7524

  10. bugman

    bugman Guest

    UNIquelyCanadian wrote:
    > *I've finished my newest prototype. The leather looks quite nice, and
    > feels comfortable. We will have to see how it wears. *

    That turned out really nice. Do you have an upolstry sewing machine, or
    did you use a standard sewing machine? I think leather will be fine,
    saddles-leather, motorcycle seats-leather, car seats-leather,
    cows-leather. They all seem to do fine. So are you going to sell your
    covers? And do they have draw strings? And how are you knocking these
    out so fast?

    --
    bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who
    are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

    Albert Einstein

  11. bugman, Thanks for your comments/encouragement! Yes, I am planning to
    try and sell these at some point. However, until I have done extensive
    testing (and any required mods), I won't consider offering them for
    sale. I'll certainly keep everyone posted on the results of our
    testing.

    Thanks for your interest...

    --
    UNIquelyCanadian - Muni Rider

    "The skull is great helmet, and with no brain inside you can have
    maximum protection; your teeth are safe " - Always wear a helmet.
    UNIquelyCanadian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7524

  12. maestro8

    maestro8 Guest

    This is what you're looking for:

    Ripstop Nylon

    This is (I believe) the stuff that a lot of durable consumer goods are
    made of, like tents and gloves and gaiters and the like. I found some
    remnants at the local fabric store for around $4 / yd.

    It looks like you just copied the design of the Fusion cover. Did you
    do the same design for the draw string attachment? I was hoping to
    re-enforce the attachment with some gussets or something to keep the
    string from ripping out...

    --
    maestro8 - Mad Scientists for World Domination

    Groucho Marx

  13. Ken Cline

    Ken Cline Guest

    "maestro8" <maestro8@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> writes:

    > Ripstop Nylon

    Nylon is the standard which high strength fibers are measured against,
    but rip stop isn't what yer after. Rip stop is a very thin fabric,
    and can be recognized by heavier threads in the weave at regular
    intervals forming a grid. "Pack cloth" and "Cordura" are examples of
    heavier nylon fabrics.

    Still, I'd stick with leather for performance. Leather is strong,
    supple, stands up to heavy use, and looks great. The only downside is
    the cost. By the way, don't use suede - it can be very strong, but is
    too sticky to ride comfortably. Don't ask how I know...

    For high fashon, you can't go wrong with the "shampelt"
    [http://fishproducts.com/catalog/pelts.html] that Fish Products uses
    in their climbing harnesses and chalkbags. I don't claim to know how
    strong the stuff is, but I'd be first in line to buy seat covers with
    leather in the high wear areas and some oh so suave Honey Dalmation
    accents. Drop Russ at line at fishproducts.com for the dirt on
    shampelt.

    Ken

  14. nathan

    nathan Guest

    I've used three materials for unicycle seats, vinyl (Miyata), cordura
    nylon (Roach), and leather (Gemcrest). Of these the leather is the best
    for durability. Also it deals with getting wet better and looks better
    too. I think you'll be very happy with your custom seat - nice job.

    ---Nathan

    --
    nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
    nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

  15. General Dibbles wrote:
    > *Any chance in getting one of those seat covers for a miyata seat?
    > They look great. *

    I don't have that particular seat, so it would be difficult to make a
    pattern which would fit nicely. Thanks for your interest though...

    So far, I've done about 20 kms on the leather seat. It still looks
    great, and is holding together perfectly. What kind of testing would
    people like to see before I consider offering them for sale?

    Thanks to everyone for your comments! Also, thanks for suggestions on
    materials for the seat. I'll have to give them a try...

    --
    UNIquelyCanadian - Muni Rider

    "The skull is great helmet, and with no brain inside you can have
    maximum protection; your teeth are safe " - Always wear a helmet.
    UNIquelyCanadian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7524

  16. bugman

    bugman Guest

    UNIquelyCanadian wrote:
    > *I don't have that particular seat, so it would be difficult to make a
    > pattern which would fit nicely. Thanks for your interest though...
    >

    > So far, I've done about 20 kms on the leather seat. It still looks
    > great, and is holding together perfectly. What kind of testing would
    > people like to see before I consider offering them for sale?
    >
    > Thanks to everyone for your comments! Also, thanks for suggestions on
    > materials for the seat. I'll have to give them a try... *

    I would like to test one before you start selling them.:D

    --
    bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who
    are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

    Albert Einstein

  17. i have some yellow kevlar fabric i would like to have a cover made from
    one day.

    --
    hungfromhooks - uni newbie

    Philip Barbosa

    people photographer- side show performer - newbie unicyclist

    Witness an average man, flesh skewered deeply and imbedded with shark
    fishing hooks! Marvel as a mere mortal fueled only by free will...
    Ferociosly Pulls, twists, and stretches hooked apendages to transform
    the pastey dermal landscape of his own hide and finally ascend to new
    heights, literally!" This is NO ILLUSION! What you will see is real...
    and remember ladies and gentlemen all this done without the assistance
    of his unicycle.
    hungfromhooks's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6954

  18. Just an update on the leather seat cover I designed/made last fall.
    After a couple hundered KMs of trials-type riding it still looks and
    works great...other then a little scuffing, the material has held up
    fine.

    Also, I made a similar seat cover for my brother out of a black leather
    jacket; after over 500 KMs of riding, it too still looks like the day I
    made it.

    --
    UNIquelyCanadian - 8~)[==)--O

    There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive
    idiots.
    UNIquelyCanadian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7524

Share This Page