Self rotating brakes. How to fix?

kristiancyclist

Dec 13, 2005
I am having problems with my brakes. They never seem to stay centered! I end up having to rotate them and recenter them when I stop for a break. The brakes are Tektro RX40 and they are mounted on a carbon frame and carbon fork (both made by Pedal Force). The nut holding the brake is pretty tight and I am afraid to tighten it more because I don't want to damage the carbon. The brakes work fine otherwise.

If this is just the nature of Tektro brakes then I will certainly upgrade to something else.

If this is just the nature of brakes in general then I will learn to live with it.

I would love to hear your words of advise. Thanks! :)

-- Boris

kristiancyclist said:
I am having problems with my brakes. They never seem to stay centered! I end up having to rotate them and recenter them when I stop for a break. The brakes are Tektro RX40 and they are mounted on a carbon frame and carbon fork (both made by Pedal Force). The nut holding the brake is pretty tight and I am afraid to tighten it more because I don't want to damage the carbon. The brakes work fine otherwise.

If this is just the nature of Tektro brakes then I will certainly upgrade to something else.

If this is just the nature of brakes in general then I will learn to live with it.

I would love to hear your words of advise. Thanks! :)

-- Boris

How are you centering the brakes? If you are just pulling them to the side with your hands, then they are likely to go back to being off-center when you apply the brake lever. See the Park tool site for some pictures on how to center different types of dual pivot brakes. The tektros should adjust similar to Shimanos.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=20

Hi John!

Thanks for the link! :)

-- Boris

John M said:
How are you centering the brakes? If you are just pulling them to the side with your hands, then they are likely to go back to being off-center when you apply the brake lever. See the Park tool site for some pictures on how to center different types of dual pivot brakes. The tektros should adjust similar to Shimanos.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=20