Sending Out An SOS

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by SOSman, May 1, 2005.

  1. SOSman

    SOSman Guest

    What if your travel plans go wrong? What if you break a leg out on the
    trail? What will happen to you if nobody knows where to find you?
    http://SendingOutAnSOS.com helps you develop a travel plan before you
    set out. If you don't make it back by a pre-arranged date, we send an
    SOS message containing your travel intentions to your loved ones (or
    other contacts). Hopefully they will come to your rescue!

    Tags:

  2. BS

    BS Guest

    SOSman wrote:
    > What if your travel plans go wrong? What if you break a leg out on

    the
    > trail? What will happen to you if nobody knows where to find you?
    > http://SendingOutAnSOS.com helps you develop a travel plan before you
    > set out. If you don't make it back by a pre-arranged date, we send an
    > SOS message containing your travel intentions to your loved ones (or
    > other contacts). Hopefully they will come to your rescue!

    DUH!!!

  3. Even if you're using https, and I knew and trusted you, no way am I going to
    place my travel plans on any system connected to the Internet wasteland.
    Might as well put a "Break In Now" sign on my front door.

    I'll stick with asking a trusted friend to perform this function.

    (Earl)

    "SOSman" <trevor@netrix.co.nz> wrote in message
    > What if your travel plans go wrong? What if you break a leg out on the
    > trail? What will happen to you if nobody knows where to find you?
    > http://SendingOutAnSOS.com helps you develop a travel plan before you
    > set out. If you don't make it back by a pre-arranged date, we send an
    > SOS message containing your travel intentions to your loved ones (or
    > other contacts). Hopefully they will come to your rescue!

  4. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    Mike Romain wrote:
    > Ya, that sounds just like a new twist on the old 'ticket' scam. They
    > mailed hard to find sports tickets out to folks and cleaned out their

    So do the experiment. Sign up, notify them of your Everest expedition,
    and hang out in the basement with your 12 gauge.

    HTH,
    Shawn

  5. On 1 May 2005 19:11:06 -0700, "SOSman" <trevor@netrix.co.nz> wrote in
    message <1114999866.171594.90730@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>:

    >What if your travel plans go wrong? What if you break a leg out on the
    >trail? What will happen to you if nobody knows where to find you?
    >http://spammingbastard.com helps you develop a travel plan before you
    >set out. If you don't make it back by a pre-arranged date, we send an
    >SOS message containing your travel intentions to your loved ones

    Something which hill walkers and cyclists have been managing to do
    since time immemorial without the need to pay spammers.

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  6. PeterL

    PeterL Guest

    SOSman wrote:
    > What if your travel plans go wrong? What if you break a leg out on

    the
    > trail? What will happen to you if nobody knows where to find you?
    > http://SendingOutAnSOS.com helps you develop a travel plan before you
    > set out. If you don't make it back by a pre-arranged date, we send an
    > SOS message containing your travel intentions to your loved ones (or
    > other contacts). Hopefully they will come to your rescue!

    What if I just send my travel plan to my loved ones before I go?
    Wouldn't that be simpler?

  7. PeterL wrote:

    > SOSman wrote:
    > Hopefully they will come...

    In the States, at least, you can rent a GPS phone with a panic button that
    summons rescuers to your location. Nice for traveling the back country
    solo.
    -S-

  8. D. Dub

    D. Dub Guest

    What................

    ya can't drag yerself out??

    Wussy............

    "SOSman" <trevor@netrix.co.nz> wrote in message
    > What if your travel plans go wrong? What if you break a leg out on the
    > trail? What will happen to you if nobody knows where to find you?
    > http://SendingOutAnSOS.com helps you develop a travel plan before you
    > set out. If you don't make it back by a pre-arranged date, we send an
    > SOS message containing your travel intentions to your loved ones (or
    > other contacts). Hopefully they will come to your rescue!

  9. John Decker

    John Decker Guest

    In article <42766589.EE9292B9@sonic.net>, Stuart Hofmann says...

    >PeterL wrote:
    >
    >> SOSman wrote:
    >> Hopefully they will come...

    >In the States, at least, you can rent a GPS phone with a panic button that
    >summons rescuers to your location. Nice for traveling the back country
    >solo.
    > -S-

    Satellite phone for Rent....

    http://www.travelbygps.com/articles/satphones.php

    JD

  10. Cyli

    Cyli Guest

    On Mon, 02 May 2005 12:11:41 GMT, Chris Phillipo
    <cphillipo@ramsays-online.com> wrote:

    (snipped)

    > a little Beagle with
    >one of those retractable leashes attached, barking his head off in the
    >middle of the woods a good 2 miles from anywhere. We never found who it
    >was formerly attached to but I told the police if anyone is reported
    >missing in that area, that's where they are.

    What did you do about the beagle? I'd hope you took it home or to a
    shelter. I'm a dog lover, in case it's not obvious.

    Cyli
    r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
    Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

    http://www.visi.com/~cyli
    email: cylise@gmail.com.invalid (strip the .invalid to email)

  11. Jon Danniken

    Jon Danniken Guest

    "Earl Jacksboro" wrote:

    > Even if you're using https, and I knew and trusted you, no way am I going

    > place my travel plans on any system connected to the Internet wasteland.
    > Might as well put a "Break In Now" sign on my front door.
    >
    > I'll stick with asking a trusted friend to perform this function.

    I was thinking the same thing. It's also the reason I don't leavew
    wilderness permits in any unlocked receptacle. I've opened them up and
    found literally dozens of nice juicy bits of peoples lives, their addresses,
    and their full itineries; it's a veritable goldmine for thievery.

    Jon

  12. Jon Danniken

    Jon Danniken Guest

    "Stuart Hofmann"
    > PeterL wrote:
    >
    > > SOSman wrote:
    > > Hopefully they will come...

    > In the States, at least, you can rent a GPS phone with a panic button that
    > summons rescuers to your location. Nice for traveling the back country
    > solo.

    Is it okay to press the panic button when I run out of TP?

    Jon

  13. Jon Danniken wrote:

    > Is it okay to press the panic button when I run out of TP?

    If you don't mind paying the bill.
    -S-

  14. Me

    Me Guest

    In article <3dq48gF6t3k5aU1@individual.net>,
    "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > "Stuart Hofmann"
    > > PeterL wrote:
    > >
    > > > SOSman wrote:
    > > > Hopefully they will come...

    > > In the States, at least, you can rent a GPS phone with a panic button that
    > > summons rescuers to your location. Nice for traveling the back country
    > > solo.

    > Is it okay to press the panic button when I run out of TP?
    >
    > Jon

    No, it is only "Ok:" for you to press the "Panic Button" with
    your "LAST Dying Breath", and then you better be dead when they
    find you. Otherwise your just another Trail Woosie.....

    Me

  15. jem

    jem Guest

    Earl Jacksboro wrote:
    > Even if you're using https, and I knew and trusted you, no way am I going to
    > place my travel plans on any system connected to the Internet wasteland.
    > Might as well put a "Break In Now" sign on my front door.

    Yeah, makes a lot more sense to inform a close, trusted friend of your
    travel plans. Besides, the way some people check their email it could be
    days before it's received, if it doesn't get recycled by the spam
    filters. Also, think about all the travelers who forget to turn the
    alarm off when they return home, resulting in false alarms going out. A
    problematic 'solution' all 'round.

  16. Me

    Me Guest

    In article <nq0g719lq3hproa194cd9ojq9pl9mp18j7@4ax.com>,
    Spehro Pefhany <speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote:

    > On Tue, 03 May 2005 22:51:10 GMT, the renowned Me <Me@shadow.orgs>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <3dq48gF6t3k5aU1@individual.net>,
    > > "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Stuart Hofmann"

    > >> Is it okay to press the panic button when I run out of TP?
    > >>
    > >> Jon
    > >>

    > >No, it is only "Ok:" for you to press the "Panic Button" with
    > >your "LAST Dying Breath", and then you better be dead when they
    > >find you. Otherwise your just another Trail Woosie.....
    > >

    > >Me

    > Our survival instructor always drilled into us that it was better to
    > be judged by twelve than carried by six.
    >

    > Best regards,
    > Spehro Pefhany

    If you had to take a course to learn how to survive, then you,
    by definition, are a "Trail Woosie". Most folks have an embred
    Survival Instinct, and don't need to be instructed on how.

    Me

  17. Shaun Haines wrote:

    > Where exactly "far out in the Alaskan bush" do you live? I'd be curious to
    > know. By the way, I'm not a city boy, and I think what you meant to say is
    > that we don't have "cojones."

    "Kohhooonies" is the original Inuit.............maybe.

  18. Shaun Haines wrote:
    > "Kohhooonies" is the original Inuit.............maybe.

    I checked dictionary.com and no reference to it.

    I searched google and the term seem to mean "courage to do a high risk
    item" or a synonym for testicles.

    As far as a location, synonym for boondocks form http://dictionary.com
    1. Wild and dense brush; jungle.
    2. Rural country; the backwoods.

  19. Gary S.

    Gary S. Guest

    On 6 May 2005 08:01:46 -0700, "mike.a.schwab@gmail.com"
    <mike.a.schwab@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Shaun Haines wrote:
    >> "Kohhooonies" is the original Inuit.............maybe.

    >I checked dictionary.com and no reference to it.
    >
    >I searched google and the term seem to mean "courage to do a high risk
    >item" or a synonym for testicles.
    >
    >As far as a location, synonym for boondocks form http://dictionary.com
    >1. Wild and dense brush; jungle.
    >2. Rural country; the backwoods.

    It might be a reference to "cojones", a Spanish word meaning
    testicles, common usage is more the sense of "brass balls" or
    gutsy/courage/audacity.

    Unlikely such a similar word with the same meaning would have evolved
    in such a different language.

    Try again with the correct spelling and you might get a better result.

    Happy trails,
    Gary (net.yogi.bear)
    --
    At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

    Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

  20. firewolf65

    firewolf65 Guest

    You try to come off as really tough, big deal. I grew up in the wilderness
    of Maine, I used to go out on my own all the time, never telling anyone
    where I was going. Fear of your own inadequacies is the only thing you need
    to truly concern yourself about. I have had to deal with black bears, bob
    cats and other creatures of the wild. So cut the crap and calling people
    wussies, and other derogatory terms to try and goad others on. I would
    gladly pit my wilderness survival skills against your so called abilities.
    You get no radio, gun, shelter, or any of the other amenities you are used
    to. Oh, you also go without any food. I am sure that you were on the radio
    when your bush plane crashed and gave a distress call with basic coordinates
    for rescuers to find you. I will allow you a knife or leatherman.

    On the other hand could you survive in NYC. Doubt it.

    So hit the road and get a life.

    "Me" <Me@shadow.orgs> wrote in message
    > In article <3dq48gF6t3k5aU1@individual.net>,
    > "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >> > In the States, at least, you can rent a GPS phone with a panic button
    >> > that
    >> > summons rescuers to your location. Nice for traveling the back country
    >> > solo.

    >> Is it okay to press the panic button when I run out of TP?
    >>
    >> Jon
    >>

    > No, it is only "Ok:" for you to press the "Panic Button" with
    > your "LAST Dying Breath", and then you better be dead when they
    > find you. Otherwise your just another Trail Woosie.....
    >

    > Me

Share This Page