Sending Out An SOS

SOSman

Guest
What if your travel plans go wrong? What if you break a leg out on the
trail? What will happen to you if nobody knows where to find you?
http://SendingOutAnSOS.com helps you develop a travel plan before you
set out. If you don't make it back by a pre-arranged date, we send an
SOS message containing your travel intentions to your loved ones (or
other contacts). Hopefully they will come to your rescue!

SOSman wrote:
> What if your travel plans go wrong? What if you break a leg out on

the
> trail? What will happen to you if nobody knows where to find you?
> http://SendingOutAnSOS.com helps you develop a travel plan before you
> set out. If you don't make it back by a pre-arranged date, we send an
> SOS message containing your travel intentions to your loved ones (or
> other contacts). Hopefully they will come to your rescue!

DUH!!!

Even if you're using https, and I knew and trusted you, no way am I going to
place my travel plans on any system connected to the Internet wasteland.
Might as well put a "Break In Now" sign on my front door.

I'll stick with asking a trusted friend to perform this function.

(Earl)

news:[email protected]...

Mike Romain wrote:
> Ya, that sounds just like a new twist on the old 'ticket' scam. They
> mailed hard to find sports tickets out to folks and cleaned out their

So do the experiment. Sign up, notify them of your Everest expedition,
and hang out in the basement with your 12 gauge.

HTH,
Shawn

On 1 May 2005 19:11:06 -0700, "SOSman" <[email protected]> wrote in
message <[email protected]>:

>What if your travel plans go wrong? What if you break a leg out on the
>trail? What will happen to you if nobody knows where to find you?
>http://spammingbastard.com helps you develop a travel plan before you
>set out. If you don't make it back by a pre-arranged date, we send an
>SOS message containing your travel intentions to your loved ones

Something which hill walkers and cyclists have been managing to do
since time immemorial without the need to pay spammers.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

SOSman wrote:
> What if your travel plans go wrong? What if you break a leg out on

the
> trail? What will happen to you if nobody knows where to find you?
> http://SendingOutAnSOS.com helps you develop a travel plan before you
> set out. If you don't make it back by a pre-arranged date, we send an
> SOS message containing your travel intentions to your loved ones (or
> other contacts). Hopefully they will come to your rescue!

What if I just send my travel plan to my loved ones before I go?
Wouldn't that be simpler?

PeterL wrote:

> SOSman wrote:
> Hopefully they will come...

In the States, at least, you can rent a GPS phone with a panic button that
summons rescuers to your location. Nice for traveling the back country
solo.
-S-

What................

ya can't drag yerself out??

Wussy............

"SOSman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What if your travel plans go wrong? What if you break a leg out on the
> trail? What will happen to you if nobody knows where to find you?
> http://SendingOutAnSOS.com helps you develop a travel plan before you
> set out. If you don't make it back by a pre-arranged date, we send an
> SOS message containing your travel intentions to your loved ones (or
> other contacts). Hopefully they will come to your rescue!

In article <[email protected]>, Stuart Hofmann says...

>PeterL wrote:
>
>> SOSman wrote:
>> Hopefully they will come...

>In the States, at least, you can rent a GPS phone with a panic button that
>summons rescuers to your location. Nice for traveling the back country
>solo.
> -S-

Satellite phone for Rent....

http://www.travelbygps.com/articles/satphones.php

JD

On Mon, 02 May 2005 12:11:41 GMT, Chris Phillipo
<[email protected]> wrote:

(snipped)

> a little Beagle with
>one of those retractable leashes attached, barking his head off in the
>middle of the woods a good 2 miles from anywhere. We never found who it
>was formerly attached to but I told the police if anyone is reported
>missing in that area, that's where they are.

What did you do about the beagle? I'd hope you took it home or to a
shelter. I'm a dog lover, in case it's not obvious.

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: [email protected]lid (strip the .invalid to email)

"Earl Jacksboro" wrote:

> Even if you're using https, and I knew and trusted you, no way am I going

> place my travel plans on any system connected to the Internet wasteland.
> Might as well put a "Break In Now" sign on my front door.
>
> I'll stick with asking a trusted friend to perform this function.

I was thinking the same thing. It's also the reason I don't leavew
wilderness permits in any unlocked receptacle. I've opened them up and
found literally dozens of nice juicy bits of peoples lives, their addresses,
and their full itineries; it's a veritable goldmine for thievery.

Jon

"Stuart Hofmann"
> PeterL wrote:
>
> > SOSman wrote:
> > Hopefully they will come...

> In the States, at least, you can rent a GPS phone with a panic button that
> summons rescuers to your location. Nice for traveling the back country
> solo.

Is it okay to press the panic button when I run out of TP?

Jon

Jon Danniken wrote:

> Is it okay to press the panic button when I run out of TP?

If you don't mind paying the bill.
-S-

In article <[email protected]>,
"Jon Danniken" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Stuart Hofmann"
> > PeterL wrote:
> >
> > > SOSman wrote:
> > > Hopefully they will come...

> > In the States, at least, you can rent a GPS phone with a panic button that
> > summons rescuers to your location. Nice for traveling the back country
> > solo.

> Is it okay to press the panic button when I run out of TP?
>
> Jon

No, it is only "Ok:" for you to press the "Panic Button" with
your "LAST Dying Breath", and then you better be dead when they
find you. Otherwise your just another Trail Woosie.....

Me

Earl Jacksboro wrote:
> Even if you're using https, and I knew and trusted you, no way am I going to
> place my travel plans on any system connected to the Internet wasteland.
> Might as well put a "Break In Now" sign on my front door.

Yeah, makes a lot more sense to inform a close, trusted friend of your
travel plans. Besides, the way some people check their email it could be
days before it's received, if it doesn't get recycled by the spam
filters. Also, think about all the travelers who forget to turn the
alarm off when they return home, resulting in false alarms going out. A
problematic 'solution' all 'round.

In article <[email protected]>,
Spehro Pefhany <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 03 May 2005 22:51:10 GMT, the renowned Me <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Jon Danniken" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> "Stuart Hofmann"

> >> Is it okay to press the panic button when I run out of TP?
> >>
> >> Jon
> >>

> >No, it is only "Ok:" for you to press the "Panic Button" with
> >your "LAST Dying Breath", and then you better be dead when they
> >find you. Otherwise your just another Trail Woosie.....
> >

> >Me

> Our survival instructor always drilled into us that it was better to
> be judged by twelve than carried by six.
>

> Best regards,
> Spehro Pefhany

If you had to take a course to learn how to survive, then you,
by definition, are a "Trail Woosie". Most folks have an embred
Survival Instinct, and don't need to be instructed on how.

Me

Shaun Haines wrote:

> Where exactly "far out in the Alaskan bush" do you live? I'd be curious to
> know. By the way, I'm not a city boy, and I think what you meant to say is
> that we don't have "cojones."

"Kohhooonies" is the original Inuit.............maybe.

Shaun Haines wrote:
> "Kohhooonies" is the original Inuit.............maybe.

I checked dictionary.com and no reference to it.

I searched google and the term seem to mean "courage to do a high risk
item" or a synonym for testicles.

As far as a location, synonym for boondocks form http://dictionary.com
1. Wild and dense brush; jungle.
2. Rural country; the backwoods.

On 6 May 2005 08:01:46 -0700, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Shaun Haines wrote:
>> "Kohhooonies" is the original Inuit.............maybe.

>I checked dictionary.com and no reference to it.
>
>I searched google and the term seem to mean "courage to do a high risk
>item" or a synonym for testicles.
>
>As far as a location, synonym for boondocks form http://dictionary.com
>1. Wild and dense brush; jungle.
>2. Rural country; the backwoods.

It might be a reference to "cojones", a Spanish word meaning
testicles, common usage is more the sense of "brass balls" or
gutsy/courage/audacity.

Unlikely such a similar word with the same meaning would have evolved
in such a different language.

Try again with the correct spelling and you might get a better result.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

You try to come off as really tough, big deal. I grew up in the wilderness
of Maine, I used to go out on my own all the time, never telling anyone
where I was going. Fear of your own inadequacies is the only thing you need
to truly concern yourself about. I have had to deal with black bears, bob
cats and other creatures of the wild. So cut the **** and calling people
wussies, and other derogatory terms to try and goad others on. I would
gladly pit my wilderness survival skills against your so called abilities.
You get no radio, gun, shelter, or any of the other amenities you are used
to. Oh, you also go without any food. I am sure that you were on the radio
when your bush plane crashed and gave a distress call with basic coordinates
for rescuers to find you. I will allow you a knife or leatherman.

On the other hand could you survive in NYC. Doubt it.

So hit the road and get a life.

news:[email protected]...