Sending Out An SOS

Firewolf,

What part of Maine are you from? I'm from "The County" myself, but
have since relocated. Just curious to find out.

Shaun

firewolf65 wrote:
> You try to come off as really tough, big deal. I grew up in the
> wilderness of Maine, I used to go out on my own all the time, never
> telling anyone where I was going. Fear of your own inadequacies is
> the only thing you need to truly concern yourself about. I have
> had to deal with black bears, bob cats and other creatures of the
> wild. So cut the **** and calling people wussies, and other
> derogatory terms to try and goad others on. I would gladly pit my
> wilderness survival skills against your so called abilities. You get
> no radio, gun, shelter, or any of the other amenities you are used
> to. Oh, you also go without any food. I am sure that you were on
> the radio when your bush plane crashed and gave a distress call with
> basic coordinates for rescuers to find you. I will allow you a knife
> or leatherman.
>
> On the other hand could you survive in NYC. Doubt it.
>
> So hit the road and get a life.

Some top-posting moron is channeling Bill Baka!

all the truly tough guys I've met never tell anyone how tough they are.

Mark Hickey wrote:
> bbaka <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>I don't top post but I can relate to this guy more than the bicycle
>>wusses on here. My rides out of cell phone range are to get away from th
>>deluge of people who would try to tell me how to 'safely' ride my bike
>>or not to hike that trail on the side of a 70% rocky dropoff. I can
>>survive easily enough without having a coffee house or 7-11 every few
>>miles and that is the point, to get away from it all. Short of flat out
>>killing my self I could probably drag myself to a point where people
>>actually go and get help. I sure didn't have cell phones back in the
>>1950's and 60's when I did some seriously life threatening stuff, nor
>>did I worry about it.
>>I just do it, and it I am not back my sometime after sundown then my
>>wife, who stays at home, can call out the search are rescue.

> I have a great idea... we'll air-drop you and "firewolf" on a desert
> island somewhere and have a 'Survivor-clone' TV series about the
> event. We'll put a big panic button on the highest point on the
> island, and the loser is the first one to hit it. Eventually, one of
> you will crack, or have to kill and eat the other. Either way, we'll
> know who the wreck-bike anti-wussie really is.
>
> Mark "did I ever mention the time I was confronted by a mountain
> lion?" Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $695 ti frame

How about we take the whole damn lot of 'super bikers' and drop them all
with flat tires and one patch kit and pump between them? Not even a
power bar for the lot.
I was licked by a baby bear once while camping in Yosemite while the
mother bear stood watch about 20 feet away. My roommate at the time was
building a fire about 100 feet down the hill and trying not to laugh out
loud and wake everyone else up and scare the bears. I thought somebody
had let loose a slobbering over friendly dog until I woke up and looked
around, then suddenly, I was really awake. Last time I camped away from
the main group, too.
Bill Baka

In article <[email protected]>,
"firewolf65" <[email protected]> wrote:

> You try to come off as really tough, big deal. I grew up in the wilderness
> of Maine, I used to go out on my own all the time, never telling anyone
> where I was going. Fear of your own inadequacies is the only thing you need
> to truly concern yourself about. I have had to deal with black bears, bob
> cats and other creatures of the wild. So cut the **** and calling people
> wussies, and other derogatory terms to try and goad others on. I would
> gladly pit my wilderness survival skills against your so called abilities.
> You get no radio, gun, shelter, or any of the other amenities you are used
> to. Oh, you also go without any food. I am sure that you were on the radio
> when your bush plane crashed and gave a distress call with basic coordinates
> for rescuers to find you. I will allow you a knife or leatherman.
>
> On the other hand could you survive in NYC. Doubt it.
>
> So hit the road and get a life.

Actually the radio didn't work because the battery was distroyed,
and this was long before ELT's were invented. We walked out to
tideland, and built a fire using the "Downed Aircraft Kit" that
I always carry in my Traveling Pack, waited for four days
before another aircraft came by. Signalled it, with the Stainless
Steel Mirror in the Kit, and then waited another night for a Amphib
to come get us. We had a nice venison stew, every night, from the
doe, I shot, using my Browning HiPower, the first afternoon. Water
came from the stream we followed down to tideland, and the greens
were collected from the local vacinity. Firewood was not a problem as
there was plenty of beachwoodon the shoreline, and I always carry my
Nepalese Kukkerie, that I purchased from a nice old Nepalese Blacksmith
years ago, that was hand forged from an old WWII Japaneese Truck axle.
Not a big deal, and not much of an inconveniance, either.

Who would want to "Survive" in New York City, anyway??????

As is stated in in another post, "the nearest road is way to far away"
to hit with anything, and I have a life, right here that suits "Me" just
fine.

Me

In article <[email protected]>,
Me <[email protected]> writes:

> We had a nice venison stew, every night, from the
> doe, I shot

You ripped yourself off -- as the bagger, you had
dibs on the liver.

mmmm ... venison liver.

Making stew outa fresh venison??! Oh well. Each to
their own taste, I suppose.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

If you macho people wish to abuse each other can you pls do it via Reply instead of Reply Group.
Whilst it is very good to have the skills claimed, it is not everyone who is interested in sifting
thro' your personal "oneupmanship" statements to get at really what the thread was all about.
Thankyou, H

On 2005-05-07 22:24:00 -0700, Me <[email protected]> said:

> Actually the radio didn't work because the battery was distroyed,
> and this was long before ELT's were invented. We walked out to
> tideland, and built a fire using the "Downed Aircraft Kit" that
> I always carry in my Traveling Pack, waited for four days
> before another aircraft came by. Signalled it, with the Stainless
> Steel Mirror in the Kit, and then waited another night for a Amphib
> to come get us. We had a nice venison stew, every night, from the
> doe, I shot, using my Browning HiPower, the first afternoon. Water
> came from the stream we followed down to tideland, and the greens
> were collected from the local vacinity. Firewood was not a problem as
> there was plenty of beachwoodon the shoreline, and I always carry my
> Nepalese Kukkerie, that I purchased from a nice old Nepalese Blacksmith
> years ago, that was hand forged from an old WWII Japaneese Truck axle.
> Not a big deal, and not much of an inconveniance, either.

Of course, when we were dropped in the ocean, they hadn't invented Japanese
truck axles or Nepalese blacksmiths. It was just the six of us, a couple
of dry-erase markers and a five-subject notebook. The younger members of
the party wanted me to start a fire (using the fire spell I learned from a
Belgian mystic), but I laughed. "Fires are for trail woosies," I said.

"That's not how you spell wussy, is it?" asked Bob.

"If you had to take a course to learn how to spell, you are a spelling
woosie," I told him. Bob had a lot to learn.

I caught a fish with my bare hands. Gutted and smoked (thanks again,
Belgium), it made a suitable container for our rescue note, which we let
drift out to sea. It took seven weeks for them to find us, but we weren't
bored; I taught an intensive linear algebra course to the others, refusing
to introduce determinants until after we'd done eigenvalues. When we
finally got picked up by the rescue boat, several of the party were ready
to try the Putnam Exam.

Gosh, if you think survival is hard, try teaching Gram-Schmidt after a
shark eats your markers.

You

On Sun, 8 May 2005, Christian Claiborn wrote:

> It was just the six of us, a couple
> of dry-erase markers and a five-subject notebook.

Wuss. When I were a kid we went deep-sea fishing without a notebook in
sight. And this was the high Arctic mind, somewhere just a few clicks
from Franz Josef land.

> it made a suitable container for our rescue note

Rescue note?! How would you survive in a post-nuclear holocaust when
every other living thing had been exterminated, eh? Ya couldn't do it, I
bet. Woosies like you would be the first to go under.

Take care

Jon

--
Jon Beasley-Murray Latin American Studies
http://faculty.arts.ubc.ca/jbmurray/ University of British Columbia

On Sun, 08 May 2005 17:55:00 GMT, Stuart Hofmann <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>I think he means 'Khukuri'

aka. Kukri
http://www.army.mod.uk/brigade_of_gurkhas/history/kukri_history.htm

My local Nepalese restaurant is mostly staffed by ex-Gurkhas.
Amazingly they never have any trouble on a Friday night...

On the wall is a picture of the Dalai Lama taken when he came to
England. He stayed with the owner of the restaurant.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

No, mate...he meant exactly what he said. They just have a different
"work" for THAT up there, too, in God's country. Matter of fact, they
don't say "word" up in the bush, obviously. True survivors who refuse
to be just another anonymous NYC-boy loser in the world don't make
mistakes...or at least don't admit them. Kahoonies and kukkeries and
work, oh my!

Anybody remember that band, Survivor?

Shaun

Per Me:
>Nepalese Kukkerie

?

Google came up blank on that one.
--
PeteCresswell

Per Christian Claiborn:
>I caught a fish with my bare hands. Gutted and smoked (thanks again,
>Belgium), it made a suitable container for our rescue note, which we let
>drift out to sea. It took seven weeks for them to find us, but we weren't
>bored; I taught an intensive linear algebra course to the others, refusing
>to introduce determinants until after we'd done eigenvalues. When we
>finally got picked up by the rescue boat, several of the party were ready
>to try the Putnam Exam.

tangental to the point of irrelevance, but it came to mind:
=======================================
THE CASTAWAY ENGINEER

An engineer finally splurged on a luxury cruise to the Caribbean.

Just as he was beginning to enjoy himself, a hurricane roared upon the cruise
ship, capsizing it like a child's toy. Somehow the engineer, desperately
hanging on to a life preserver, managed to wash ashore on a secluded island.

Outside of beautiful scenery, a spring-fed pool, bananas and coconuts, there was
little else. He lost all hope and for hours on end, sat under same palm tree.
One day, after several months had passed, a gorgeous woman in a small rowboat
appeared.

"I'm from the other side of the island," she said. "Were you on the cruise ship,
too?"

"Yes, I was, " he answered. "But where did you get that rowboat?"

"Well, I whittled the oars from gum tree branches, wove the reinforced gunwale
from palm branches, and made the keel and stern from a Eucalyptus tree."

"But, what did you use for tools?" asked the man.

"There was a very unusual strata of alluvial rock exposed on the south side of
the island. I discovered that if I fired it to a certain temperature in my
kiln, it melted into forgeable ductile iron. Anyhow, that's how I got the
tools. But, enough of that," she said. "Where have you been living all this
time? I don't see any shelter."

"To be honest, I've just been sleeping on the beach," he said.

"Would you like to come to my place?" the woman asked. The engineer nodded
dumbly.

She expertly rowed them around to her side of the island, and tied up the boat
with a handsome strand of hand-woven hemp topped with a neat back splice. They
walked up a winding stone walk she had laid and around a Palm tree. There stood
an exquisite bungalow painted in blue and white.

"It's not much, but I call it home." Inside, she said, "Sit down please; would
you like to have a drink?"

"No, thanks," said the man. "One more coconut juice and I'll throw up!"

"It won't be coconut juice," the woman replied. "I have a crude still out back,
so we can have authentic Pina Coladas."

Trying to hide his amazement, the man accepted the drink, and they sat down on
her couch to talk. After they had exchanged stories, the woman asked, "Tell me,
have you always had a beard?"

"No," the man replied, "I was clean shaven all of my life until I ended up on
this island."

"Well if you'd like to shave, there's a razor upstairs in the bathroom cabinet."

The man, no longer questioning anything, went upstairs to the bathroom and
shaved with an intricate bone-and-shell device honed razor sharp. Next he
showered -- not even attempting to fathom a guess as to how she managed to get
warm water into the bathroom -- and went back downstairs. He couldn't help but
admire the masterfully carved banister as he walked.

"You look great," said the woman. "I think I'll go up and slip into something
more comfortable."

As she did, the man continued to sip his Pina Colada. After a short time, the
woman, smelling faintly of gardenias, returned wearing a revealing gown
fashioned out of pounded palm fronds.

"Tell me," she asked, "we've both been out here for a very long time with no
companionship. You know what I mean. Haven't you been lonely, too? Isn't
there something that you really, really miss? Something that all men and woman
need? Something that would be really nice to have right now!"

"Yes there is!" the man replied, shucking off his shyness. "There is something
I've wanted to do for so long. But on this island all alone, it was
just...well, it was impossible."

"Well, it's not impossible, any more," the woman said.

The engineer, panting in excitement, said breathlessly: "You mean... you
actually figured out some way we can check our eMail here?"
=======================================

--
PeteCresswell

BORING!!!!!!!!!
"(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]

> fashioned out of pounded palm fronds.
>
> "Tell me," she asked, "we've both been out here for a very long time with
> no
> companionship. You know what I mean. Haven't you been lonely, too?
> Isn't
> there something that you really, really miss? Something that all men and
> woman
> need? Something that would be really nice to have right now!"
>
> "Yes there is!" the man replied, shucking off his shyness. "There is
> something
> I've wanted to do for so long. But on this island all alone, it was
> just...well, it was impossible."
>
> "Well, it's not impossible, any more," the woman said.
>
> The engineer, panting in excitement, said breathlessly: "You mean... you
> actually figured out some way we can check our eMail here?"

"gds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> all the truly tough guys I've met never tell anyone how tough they are.

This is SO true - I never tell anyone just how damned tough I am, an I
certainly am damned tough = you gotta be right.

Shaun aRe

gds wrote:

> I was thinking about adults.

Well, that rules out Scottieski.

Bill "quoting provides context (duh)" S.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Shaun" <[email protected]> wrote:

> No, mate...he meant exactly what he said. They just have a different
> "work" for THAT up there, too, in God's country. Matter of fact, they
> don't say "word" up in the bush, obviously. True survivors who refuse
> to be just another anonymous NYC-boy loser in the world don't make
> mistakes...or at least don't admit them. Kahoonies and kukkeries and
> work, oh my!
>
> Anybody remember that band, Survivor?
>
> Shaun

I never made it out of the first round at Grammer School Spelling Bee's,
all those long years ago....but it seems that I am able to communicate
well enough to get the Ideas across from out here in the alaskan bush....

Me