Shaved?

mikesbytes said:
Time trial
Less likely to fall off than when commuting.
Well I,m glad I don't commute either. Speaking of time trials, I often see 40k TTs mentioned, is this a common distance. If it is I have an almost uninterupted ride [by intersections etc] of 20ks, if I did 2 laps then I would have it. I would still come first on a given day, because I would be the only one competing:D My flat bar is not quite the TT bike but none the less I could compare my times.

ackgot said:
Remember not to follow to close and over lap someone's tire when your drafting them... If you over lap there are going to be more crashes. Heads up.

Thanks for the tip, but there's a big difference between overlapping someone's wheel (which is something you can control) and having someone fail to hold their line and cross over in front of you (which is far tougher to control). In a crit you're going to be in there tight. Healing up nicely........

nath1 said:
Yes i shave my legs only so it looks like im wearing a pair of fury underpants:) .
Plus my calfs look wicked,:D so yes its posing i suppose for me.cheers
Let's face it, this that's the right answer.

shaving or waxing?
i had my knee waxed for taping in the early stages of an injury and it's taking ages to grow back and match the rest of my legs.
how long does shaving last before nasty stubble shows?

Archibald said:
how long does shaving last before nasty stubble shows?
So now stubble on men is 'nasty'? Geez, can't we all just go back to pretending this has something to do with aerodynamics? :rolleyes:

Can we all go back to being men again!!! I see men wish shaved legs in the gym now.. some men with better looking legs than my wife.. Sad to see the day when men are worried about how their legs look.

Alright, you guys sold me. I'm gonna do the shave/wax thing, but not until next spring (gonna need my hair for the long winter).

No leg hair might help keep me cooler in the summer too, come to think of it.

I don't know if any of you have ever swam competitively but I used to shave for big meets. Even then they said shaving doesn't physically do a whole lot, but you definetly "feel" faster. It's mostly mental because you feel like you're going faster so you just have the positive energy then to push harder.

Hydrodynamic drag is orders of magnitude greater than aerodynamic drag, due to the much greater density and viscosity of the fluid.

I have no problem with the concept of shaving my legs, other than the non-stop redicule that I'm nearly positive I'll get next summer when I'm OFF the bike, say, at a non-cycling friend's BBQ. Apparently I have a fragile self-image or something. I plan on racing as much as I can next year, and so perhaps the mental aspect of actually BEING a racer instead of feeling like a poser/wannabe-racer will be enough to carry me through to actually whipping out the razor.

Related to the topic: what's best - a blade and or electric razor? Frankly, an electric razor would seem infinitely more convenient (and just as effective) - as long as you have a "leg razor" and a separate "face razor".

Opinions on electric or manual razors?

Albert 50 said:
Bugger this crashing thingy... sounds like pain to me...if racing = crashing, then rec riding is the way I'll stay:)
I'm with you on that one. :cool:

As for performance effects, cost of blades, wax, cream would soon add up and pay for that extra 500g weight saving in bike components. :p

ryanspeer said:
I have no problem with the concept of shaving my legs, other than the non-stop redicule that I'm nearly positive I'll get next summer when I'm OFF the bike, say, at a non-cycling friend's BBQ. Apparently I have a fragile self-image or something. I plan on racing as much as I can next year, and so perhaps the mental aspect of actually BEING a racer instead of feeling like a poser/wannabe-racer will be enough to carry me through to actually whipping out the razor.

Related to the topic: what's best - a blade and or electric razor? Frankly, an electric razor would seem infinitely more convenient (and just as effective) - as long as you have a "leg razor" and a separate "face razor".

Opinions on electric or manual razors?
I prefer an electric razor, but I'm not bangin' anybody right now so it doesn't matter that they aren't super smooth like a real razor would get them. I don't like using an actual razor either because living up in the mountains I must say it hurts a bit when you get the chills, which is often.

And my number 1 reason for shaving my arms and legs....I can tell when I'm eating too much because instead of my legs looking like gnarly ripped legs for a guy, they look like really strong women's legs, you know, quite muscular but soft enough that no veins are showing in my quads.

I don't know if I'll ever shave (I'm more of a rec rider...), but if I did, I might have to pick up one of these:

http://www.shaveeverywhere.com/

I have no affiliation whatsoever with Philips or Norelco... I just think the advertising for that electric razor is HILARIOUS.

i had my knee waxed for taping when i injured it and i really felt the cold on it. was quite surprised just how much cooler it was without the forest!

It's not by accident that surgeons shave the areas they are about to operate on. It keeps the infection rate way down. The same goes for abrasions on your legs, keeping the hair out will aid in the dressing adhesion, and help decrease infection rates.

Plus, it labels you as part of an elite sport. :)

ha ha.....I can only chuckle at this thread
rolleyes.gif

AirRescueScott said:
It's not by accident that surgeons shave the areas they are about to operate on. It keeps the infection rate way down. The same goes for abrasions on your legs, keeping the hair out will aid in the dressing adhesion, and help decrease infection rates.
Skin breaks from razor accidents may also give you a hell of an infection.

So which is worse? Weekly risk of infection or do you crash every week? :p

sogood said:
Skin breaks from razor accidents may also give you a hell of an infection.

So which is worse? Weekly risk of infection or do you crash every week? :p

Nah... I'll take the girl absolutely loving the shaved legs against hers every week... Worth the riiiiiiiiiiiisk.

Smooth legs on smooth legs.