Shaving legs

riceman

Sep 22, 2006
Can anyone tell me the why cyclists shave there legs? What are the real advantages of this. I know the disadvantages. Look forward to some positive feed back:cool:

riceman said:
Can anyone tell me the why cyclists shave there legs? What are the real advantages of this. I know the disadvantages. Look forward to some positive feed back:cool:
When you go down in a race or a training ride and suffer road rash it will be easier to treat without hair. I also appriciate having self message my legs with no hair while using massage oils. I have been shaving for so many years it seems natural to me. :D

Also, you might want to get rid of chest hair for a similar reason - if you have a bad crash and end up in the ER (broken bone(s) for example), and they "put you under", they put monitors on you that stick better than duck tape. Nuff' said?

easier to clean your legs, it`s uncomfortable having tights on hairy legs, electrodes for EMS get a better grip, less wind resistance, muscles are more defined.

riceman said:

Shaved legs have nothing to do with massage or easier treatment of road rash or even looking pretty, although those are among the reasons most frequently given.

Shaved legs are sort of a badge of membership, sort of like gang colors. They indicate that the rider has made a serious commitment to the sport (although there are posers with shaved legs too). Further, one who has not made that commitment (unshaved legs) will be given little respect in the peloton, and as any racer can tell you, the peloton is a very political, suspicious and ruthless animal. Those who don't get equal respect had better be damned strong otherwise they're going to get ridden into the gutter, cut out of the paceline and otherwise worked over. It's just the nature of the beast.

Shaved legs just let a rider fit in with the peloton without predjudice.

A colleague lent me Hell on Wheels, which I watched last night. It's a behind the scenes view of the 2003 TdF, focussing on what goes on from the riders' perspective that you don't see on the official telecast.

The reason Erik Zabel gave for shaving was, if you don't do it the constant rubbing from the daily prolonged deep tissue massage will end up leaving you with a massive pimple rash from infected hair follicles, which is not only unsightly but doesn't do a lot for your general wellbeing.

No idea if it's true, but it sorta made sense.

I used to have fairly hairy legs, but oddly enough some years ago for reasons unknown to me 99% of it disappeared from my calves. I suppose cyclists way above my level might regard me as a poser for appearing to shave my legs while at the same time my friends razz me for appearing to super-streamline myself. With them I play along and try to convince them I pick up almost a full 1 MPH on my average speed due to lowered wind resistance in the hope that will prompt one of them to shave their own legs. Can't do anything about it except try to have some fun with it. :D

It's looks. I asked my massage therapist about whether it is easier to massage shaved legs, and he said no, it just takes a bit more oil. I read a long time ago that some good racers would come to races hairy, just to appear to be a novice.

Speed on the road consists of many "small" things: aerodrag, other things that slow down the speed, like the bearings in wheels and even a one number larger jersey ;) so, absence of hair on legs besides some other good things does not make an extra resistance to airflow...
besides, let`s concentrate not on peanuts, let`s do it on a big fish - that`s your engine, what makes a real difference

riceman said:
by the International Cycliing Fashion Federation. Chapter 13, paragraph 22, clearly states "it is unfashionable to ride a bicycle without the use of proper cycling accouterments and paraphernalia as described in Chapter 2 paragraph 3,. See Chapter 2 paragraph 3, about 3 sentences down, just below " spandex cycling shorts" listed is, "properly shaved legs are an absolute requirement when operating, racing, training, or standing next to a bicycle. Those who fail to adhere to ICFF regulations will be subject to contempt, ridicule, disrespect, and mockery by members of the ICFF.

100% just for looks. all those other excuses are not even reasons. my legs are hairy

Most of us that shave are gigolos. We cycle merely to pass the time between clients.

existence said:
Most of us that shave are gigolos. We cycle merely to pass the time between clients.
" That's right....most of you ride because you need an excuse to shave your legs without being ridiculed by your other manly peers"! (But not me)

"Ride to shave...shave to ride"

existence said:
They are some ugly calves existence!

I shave because every1 else does, If you dont shave you look like a real novice.

Plus they look cool shaved and they have there advantages...easier to apply sunscreen, more comfy under warmers, massage and of course aerodynamics I am an aero weenie I have to race on deep carbon rims, tight fighting clothes, my race number has to be pinned down perefectly etc. I will probably shave my arms for this reason, I have seen plenty of pro riders shaving there arms now. new trend?

New to cycling and this shaving legs/chest thing is something I hadn't heard of and initially seemed rather bizarre.

How often do you have to shave leg/chest hair? Why not waxing? Aren't you cold? Why not arms too?

dm69 said:
They are some ugly calves existence!
Whats that? I cant hear you...oh you are complaining because you have to stare at them all day because you cant come by me to take a turn. Im so sick of riding you right off my wheel....

Bloody amateurs.