Shaving legs

amegslw16

Jul 19, 2013
I am new to cycling, but I used to ride here and there back in the day. Question is Im riding 3 times a week is shaving my legs a must. what are the benefits and downsides?

A must? No, unless racing. Then it is expected.

Bennies? Great looking legs.
Drawbacks? Time spent and expense. Quad blades ain't cheap and I haven't used a safety razor in years.

There'll be the usual yada yada regarding massage/crash bandaging/infection, but none of that mattered a hill of beans to me shaved or hairy. First pull of the tape/gauze and the waxing session was over anyway.

There's no reason to shave your legs unless you want to.

Some of the reasons/excuses given are:

1. it's easier to get a massage on hairless skin. However more relevant to the masseur/soigneur, it is also easier to give a massage on hairless skin.
2. Adhesive bandages can be removed more easily (less painfully) from hairless skin. As crashing as a racer is usually not a matter of if but when, it could be a preemptive measure. Less of a factor with the advent of self-adhesive bandages. This doesn't explain why many cyclists shave only their legs but not their arms as well.
3. It's ritualistic, part of the mystique of the racers cabal, and may be a symbolic gesture to the gods of cycling, much in the same way that Abraham chopped of the end of his business to symbolize his covenant.
4. It's more aero (which is always good for a laugh).
5. It feels nice on satin sheets.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

Drawbacks?
Ingrown hairs? They were always fun.

If one feels compelled, I recommend using electric clippers to just above the short line. Eliminates most of the muss fuss and potential for butchery. The wife may not appreciate the stuble when it's cuddle time.

Reactions: Medevack1
"The wife may not appreciate the stuble when it's cuddle time."

That's what girlfriends are for.

You shave your legs? Do you buy those venus products with the cool sexy songs your the venus your the goddes too?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I think just by shaving your legs your chances of crashing are reduced( my own weird superstition) and it comes in handy if you decide to become a cross dresser.
I do it because it helps me track muscle definition, is more comfortable in lycra shorts, feels cooler in hot weather and debris from the road does not stick to my hairs.

So...some guy is studying my legs closely enough to notice I shave, and *I'm* the one who's supposed to be gay? Like others have said, I like how it feels and looks. Maybe road rash will heal more quickly. I'm certain it'll make me .0017 seconds faster in a century. But it has roughly the same relevance to my sexuality and manhood that shaving or not shaving my face does and whether I wear spandex or baggy shorts. Focus on how fast your own legs are spinning... BB

"your gay if you shave your legs and not femail"

You're gay and a gay moron if you don't know the difference between the possessive pronoun "your" and the contraction "you're". Triple moron points are awarded for the creative spelling of female.

"grammer is for sissy gays"

Grammar.

Thanks for confirming your moron status, Nancy.

Originally Posted by Hillrider .

You shave your legs? Do you buy those venus products with the cool sexy songs your the venus your the goddes too?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Could'nt help it...
big-smile.png

Originally Posted by Clancy .

your gay if you shave your legs and not femail
I'm married and have 3 kids, judging by your spelling I'm assuming your a child as well. My kids can all spell though.