Shifter and Levers? Pod or combined???

GLO

Nov 15, 2004
gclark8 said:
Time to start a lobby on Shimano for some 10 speed pods (Ultegra, R660) :mad:
Hey gclark8!

seen u about on the dtvforums. knew i recognised ur nick!

So what do you reckon bout my Question!

gclark8 said:
Time to start a lobby on Shimano for some 10 speed pods (Ultegra, R660) :mad:
What's the point.You obviously aren't racing the thing. Maybe just like to throw away money? Bling and poseur' points: priceless...eh?

I like the shifter/brake combo unit. Tends to leave slightly more space on the handlebar. I recently bought the Deore LX combo units to put on one of my MTBs. I'll take the old seperate Deore shifters and Tektro brakes and use them to upgrade a 13 year old MTB.

Many riders prefer seperates as they can mix and match to suit them. I have a friend who refuses to use Shimano brakes. He swears up and down by Avid.

Also, with seperates you can adjust the angle of the shifters and brakes differently provided you feel it offers better ergonomics.

What's the point.You obviously aren't racing the thing. Maybe just like to throw away money? Bling and poseur' points: priceless...eh?
Sorry, get your facts right first, I am racing the Felt, in over 55s triathlon, and have a legitimate use for 10 speed pods, not all of us use drops, many in my age group prefer flats, some with aeros, some with road ends.

So, give us some help here, please.

Back to the question underlying this thread!

The situation is that my new bike i just got was supposed to have the deore combo ( Shimano Deore ST-M510) pod as show in the first thread, but instead it came with the deore 9 speed shifter (for use with these derailers; Front: Shimano Deore & Rear: Shimano Deore LX 9 Speed) and separate Avid FR5 brake lever (for use with Hayes MX2 mechanical Disc brakes)

So now my question becomes:
1. is the Deore shifters and Avid FR5 Brake lever a more expensive option if i had to replace both at the same time, compared to the cost of the Shimano Deore ST-M510 combo pod?

2. Is there any reliability issues with the Avid FR5 levers compared to Shimano Brake levers of similar price?

Thanks

gclark8 said:
Sorry, get your facts right first, I am racing the Felt, in over 55s triathlon, and have a legitimate use for 10 speed pods, not all of us use drops, many in my age group prefer flats, some with aeros, some with road ends.

So, give us some help here, please.
Ok, I'll have shimano get right on it. In the meantime,I'll mention having seen road STI shifters mounted on flat bars. Looks goofy to me,but the genius that did it claims it works great. YMMV