Shimano 600 Parts for CAAD 8?

Stoliker32

Apr 25, 2009
I have a CAAD 8 road bike which I crashed and it needs several new parts. I was wondering if shimano 600 parts (cranks, derailers, shifters, brakes) will fit work properly on my bike. I'm really new to road biking so I'm a n00b and I really need to know if this will work because I found a good offer on these parts

Stoliker32 said:
I have a CAAD 8 road bike which I crashed and it needs several new parts. I was wondering if shimano 600 parts (cranks, derailers, shifters, brakes) will fit work properly on my bike. I'm really new to road biking so I'm a n00b and I really need to know if this will work because I found a good offer on these parts
The Shimano 600 uses a SQUARE TAPER Bottom Bracket ... so, you'll probably need to buy one if the seller isn't including the BB with the rest of the components ...

Otherwise, the Shimano 600 parts will fit your frame.

Stoliker32 said:
what's the bottom bracket?
Here's the description of the parts, if it helps: 16 speed shimano 600 group/with matrix wheels
The bottom bracket is the bearing assembly and/or spindle/("axle") which the crankarms are attached to.

Now, whether or not the group that you are looking at is worth what the seller is asking depends on your sensibilities & wallet, or vice-versa ...

If the group doesn't have a bottom bracket, you can get one from your LBS, eBay, or a place like Nashbar/Jenson's/etc. ASK THE SELLER.

You should also be aware that the 600 group for sale is an 8 speed group and old enough that it's not clear if it uses downtube shifters or STI style integrated brake-shifters. What group are you replacing, 7, 8, 9 or 10 speed? And what style shifters have you been using? If your CAAD 8 uses integrated STI brake-shifters (aka brifters) and the 600 group uses old school downtube shifters then you might have a problem mounting the shifters on your frame.

So you trashed every component in your group? You don't have a working crank, brakes, front or rear derailleur or either wheel to salvage for your rebuild?

-Dave