Slightly Worried Male ?

Muddy Fox

Oct 30, 2005
I'm new to this forum so go easy on me :)

My problem is ... i've always found ladies jeans to be a comfier fit than mens jeans but ive never thought to much into it but my bike was in for some repair work and i took my wife's bike out for a ride and i found this to be alot comfier than riding my own bike ... so my Question is ~ does your Husband/Partner find a ladies bike better to ride than a mans bike ? or should i be Seriously Worried ?

Simon

Muddy Fox said:

My problem is ... i've always found ladies jeans to be a comfier fit than mens jeans but ive never thought to much into it but my bike was in for some repair work and i took my wife's bike out for a ride and i found this to be alot comfier than riding my own bike ... so my Question is ~ does your Husband/Partner find a ladies bike better to ride than a mans bike ? or should i be Seriously Worried ?

Simon
Men's jeans don't fit for **** these days. It doesn't matter what size or shape a girl is, she can find a nicely fitting pair of jeans. Men's jeans just sort of hang from the waist and look like something from a jumble sale. If you care what you look like, you pretty much have to get womens jeans.
My wife's bike is not comfier than my own, if yours is then you should work out why. Is it the shape of the saddle or the geometry of the frame or the type of bars? It may be something that you could change on yours. However, short term comfort can lead to long term discomfort and a bike that feels good for two miles or so might be worse than the one you are used to for longer journeys. Also, comfort and performance are often a trade-off, with men's bikes leaning towards performance and women's bikes towards comfort.

Muddy Fox said:

Simon

Its not like a bike has anything to do with your reproductive organs - its all about the geometry fitting your body size/type and WSD bike has modifications that make it fit better for a certain body type that is often, but not exclusively found on a woman. If your are short or you've got narrow shoulders and/or a short torso and short arms there is no reason why you might not find a WSD bike more comfy even if you happen to be a man.
Chill, just pull off the WSD sticker - its not like someone caught you wearing a dress.

Eden said:
Its not like a bike has anything to do with your reproductive organs - its all about the geometry fitting your body size/type and WSD bike has modifications that make it fit better for a certain body type that is often, but not exclusively found on a woman. If your are short or you've got narrow shoulders and/or a short torso and short arms there is no reason why you might not find a WSD bike more comfy even if you happen to be a man.
Chill, just pull off the WSD sticker - its not like someone caught you wearing a dress.

Eden,

Do you suppose we have an out-of-the-closet cross dresser here? :eek:

You know I see hundreds of blokes riding women's bikes and a similar number of women riding men's bikes...........Never thought of them as cross dressers, before :D

I'll have to be more circumspect; You know I just arrived home from Tahiti and was riding a ladies pushy most of the time as thats what they seem to hire over there.

I'm worried now....................

Kind regards,

Bluto

Eden said:

Eden,

Do you suppose we have an out-of-the-closet cross dresser here? :eek:

You know I see hundreds of blokes riding women's bikes and a similar number of women riding men's bikes...........Never thought of them as cross dressers, before :D

I'll have to be more circumspect; You know I just arrived home from Tahiti and was riding a ladies pushy most of the time as thats what they seem to hire over there.

I'm worried now....................

Kind regards,

Bluto

Eden said:
Chill - its not like someone caught you wearing a dress.
Well ... now that you mention it ~ I'm Kidding ~ No really i'm just Kidding

As you can probably tell i'm new(ish) to cycling so i dont really know all the Techy stuff (yet) but i did'nt want to buy something that i felt comfortable on but looked a complete Tw@t riding ...

Thank you for your replys ... im sure i will have lots more silly Newbie questions to ask in the future (my appologies in advance ;-)

Simon

So, men's bikes=performance, women's bikes=comfort. :confused: HA! Obviously, you haven't met all the women out there that can whoop you with their "comfortable" bikes.
FYI- most men and avg-tall women ride the same (unisex) bikes if they are competitive, unless of course they are shorter/smaller people (in which case the Women's Specific Design is more comfortable). And there are many performance oriented WSD bicycles, and even more very crappy "men's" performance bikes.
Chances are, our friend here simply has a bike that doesnt fit him well, so he should go to a reputable bike dealer and get a fitting, new saddle, or new bike if needed. I dont know what to say about his wife's jeans, however. :D

Don Shipp said:
Also, comfort and performance are often a trade-off, with men's bikes leaning towards performance and women's bikes towards comfort.

So, men's bikes=performance, women's bikes=comfort. :confused: HA! Obviously, you haven't met all the women out there that can whoop you with their "comfortable" bikes.
FYI- most men and avg-tall women ride the same (unisex) bikes if they are competitive, unless of course they are shorter/smaller people (in which case the Women's Specific Design is more comfortable). And there are many performance oriented WSD bicycles, and even more very crappy "men's" performance bikes.
Chances are, our friend here simply has a bike that doesnt fit him well, so he should go to a reputable bike dealer and get a fitting, new saddle, or new bike if needed. I dont know what to say about his wife's jeans, however. :D

Don Shipp said:
Also, comfort and performance are often a trade-off, with men's bikes leaning towards performance and women's bikes towards comfort.

awest1982 said:

Alex,

Bring on the mixed competition. I love chasing lady cyclists from behind. :p

Kind regards,

Muddy Fox said:
so my Question is ~ does your Husband/Partner find a ladies bike better to ride than a mans bike ? or should i be Seriously Worried ?

Simon
Simon, I wouldn't worry about it. My better half is an inch shorter than me and has a 27" inseam. He finds that the WSD & small frame bikes fit him best.

If the smaller frame bike feels better, GET IT! You're going to ride better if the bike fits.

Dee
PS, he says my Wranglers fit him better than the mens style. he'd wear mine, but the legs would be to long for him. :p

awest1982 said:
So, men's bikes=performance, women's bikes=comfort. :confused: HA! :D
HA! (I second tha HA!):D

This site has great information on women's bicycle geometry.

http://www.teamestrogen.com/wsdBikes.asp

As for men's pants..... There is no "good fit" anymore. We may as well go back to wearing our Kilts again.... Just wear cycling shorts under them when riding.

Lw