Small Chips in Carbon Fiber Fork

stormin30

May 3, 2005
Hello All,

My new frame and fork accidently fell over this morning and the end result is a number of small chips in the leg of the carbon fiber fork. The chips seem to be superficial but I'm no expert at these things.

Should I be worried about the integrity of the fork? Is there a way to fix the chips in the carbon?

Thanks.

Stormin30

PS - If it matter's the frame and fork is a Specialized S-WORKS E5.

I can't imagine it would matter, as it's probably just the paint that's chipped. I have hundreds of chips in both of my carbon frames, including a nasty one on my road bike where the chain got jammed between the chainrings and chainstay.

If you're really worried you can have your shop look at it, but I'm pretty sure the damage is just cosmetic. Some people have this image of carbon in their mind that makes it like delicate china, and that's just not the case.

Agree, a blow from your frame falling over (unweighted) isn't going to do more than superficial damage.

T-boned a dump truck at 30mph? -- be worried. Kids knocked the frame over in the living room? -- definitely a 'time-out' coming, but no structural concerns.

Thanks for the reply. I figured as much.

Does anyone know if there is a way "touch up" the nicks in the carbon so they don't get any larger?

Thanks again.

Stormin30

stormin30 said:
Thanks for the reply. I figured as much.

Does anyone know if there is a way "touch up" the nicks in the carbon so they don't get any larger?

Thanks again.

Stormin30
There's usually a thick enough clear coat on carbon parts that a small chip isn't going to cause problems. Unless you see fibers sticking out, you can fill the chip with clear nail polish or superglue and not worry about it.