Snow Damage

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by fcwegnm0b, Jan 22, 2005.

  1. fcwegnm0b

    fcwegnm0b Guest

    Because of the great Northeast weather, everything is covered in snow.
    Can any of the water damage my uni? I want to ride, but I don't want to
    do anything to my KH Trials... is there any preventative maintenance I
    can do to avoid permanent damage?

    Dave.

    --
    fcwegnm0b - HammerTron

    I caught you a delicious bass.
    fcwegnm0b's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8357

  2. Unitik908

    Unitik908 Guest

    In oen of catboys videos he gives his uni a shower after he rides it in
    the snow to prevent rusting ....

    POW

    --
    Unitik908 - Level 5

    "What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?"

    --Vincent Van Gogh
    R.I.P Unibiker

  3. foozy

    foozy Guest

    I'm not very familiar with the innards of the unicycle, but bearings in
    general (speedskates from my experiences) can be screwed up pretty bad
    if you ride in the rain. Unicycles have bearings too so riding in
    water/snow wouldn't be a very good idea. Then again, if you don't reach
    very highspeeds or do lots of coasting, the higher rolling resistance of
    messed up bearings probably wouldn't matter too much. But alot of people
    seem to ride in the snow so maybe its not a big deal.

    --
    foozy - ...
    foozy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8949

  4. ulph

    ulph Guest

  5. markf

    markf Guest

    make sure it dries well. and if you're really worried disassemble. let
    dry and grease then reassemble. it should be fine. i ride in the snow
    all the time.

    --
    markf - movie nerd

    stuck in iowa and unemployed.
    markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

  6. Catboy

    Catboy Guest

    Unitik908 wrote:
    > *In one of catboys videos he gives his uni a shower after he rides it
    > in the snow to prevent rusting ....
    >

    > POW *

    I do, and I do after every ride in the snow, the snow-water has cruddy
    minerals and such which can cause uni rust, so I give it a thorough
    washing, and then use a spray bottle for the small crannies and nooks.

    --
    Catboy - I enjoy the taste of dirt!!!

    'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)

    RIP Unibiker

  7. lleberg

    lleberg Guest

  8. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    fcwegnm0b wrote:
    > *Because of the great Northeast weather, everything is covered in
    > snow. Can any of the water damage my uni? I want to ride, but I don't
    > want to do anything to my KH Trials... is there any preventative
    > maintenance I can do to avoid permanent damage?
    >
    > Dave. *

    Go play in the snow. It's fun. But a little preventative maintenance
    is also in order to keep the unicycle running good for summer and next
    season.

    The two problems are rust combined with the snow and water washing away
    any grease in the bearings, pedals, and other places.

    When you ride in the snow, water will get everywhere. It will get
    inside the frame. It will get inside the pedals. It will get inside
    the cranks (if they're hollow). It will get inside the seat tube.

    If you've got a steel frame you're going to want to spray WD-40 or some
    other rust preventative inside the frame, inside the hollow cranks, and
    inside other hollow areas. WD-40 will work, but isn't the best product
    for this. There are better products available for this (ask your bike
    shop) if you want to get serious about it. Take the frame off and look
    for vent holes where you can spray the WD-40 inside the frame tubes.
    Take the cranks off and the pedals off. Look for vent holes in the
    cranks where you can spray the WD-40. Spray WD-40 down the neck of the
    frame.

    Don't use WD-40 as a lubricant. It's not a lubricant like grease or
    oil. Its purpose is to treat rust and protect against rust. If you
    need lubrication then use something else than WD-40.

    When reassembling the unicycle make sure that all bare metal areas are
    covered with waterproof grease or anti-seize. Make sure all threads
    have grease, anti-seize, or Loctite on them. All areas with metal to
    metal contact should get grease or anti-seize where they contact.

    Put anti-seize on the splines and everywhere on the axle that is
    exposed, including the area under the spacers. Put anti-seize on the
    retaining bolt threads and the pinch bolt threads. Put it all back
    together. Put a layer of waterproof bicycle grease all over the
    bearing, including on the seal.

    Put grease or Loctite on the bolt threads that tighten the bearing
    caps.

    Put grease on the pedal threads when you put the pedals back on the
    cranks.

    Put grease or anti-seize on the bolt threads for the seatpost clamp.
    Put some grease under the seatpost clamp where it contacts the frame.

    Put some grease on the seatpost where it slides into the frame.

    Check the bolts under the seat. They should probably get Loctited. Put
    grease on washers that are under the seat.

    Then after the Winter riding is done you do it all over again to get it
    ready for Summer riding. :)

    After riding in the snow you're going to have to overhaul the pedals.
    Snow and water will get inside the pedal and wash away all of the
    grease. If you have sealed pedals this just means taking the pedal body
    off the spindle, putting a little grease on the spindle and on the
    bushing, checking to see if the sealed bearing needs replacing, then
    putting it back together. If you have unsealed pedals you'll take it
    all apart and regrease the ball bearings, regrease the spindle, and put
    it all back together. If you have an unsealed pedal it is a good idea
    to take it apart inside a shoe box so you don't loose any of the little
    ball bearings.

    You're still going to get rust on bolt threads and other areas even
    though they're greased. You can use a wire brush and WD-40 to remove
    the rust after the Winter riding is over.

    When rinsing off the unicycle after a ride don't use a high pressure
    spray. A high pressure spray will wash away more grease and will get
    water into areas where you don't want it. Then use an old towel to dry
    it off.

    When it's time to get the unicycle cleaned up for Summer you may have to
    replace the bearings on the hub. Snow and water will work their way
    into the bearing and wash away all the grease. The seals on sealed
    bearings aren't designed to seal out water and snow completely.

    It's a bit of work, but easier than maintaining a bike.

    Have fun in the snow.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  9. fcwegnm0b

    fcwegnm0b Guest

  10. ICP8456

    ICP8456 Guest

  11. Ken Cline

    Ken Cline Guest

    "john_childs" <john_childs@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> writes:

    > The two problems are rust combined with the snow and water washing away
    > any grease in the bearings, pedals, and other places.

    Is stress corrosion cracking another issue here? Chlorine ion from
    slat-treated slush can work their way into metals and seriously weaken
    them. I don't know if this applies to unicycles in ractice, though.

    > Don't use WD-40 as a lubricant. It's not a lubricant like grease or
    > oil. Its purpose is to treat rust and protect against rust. If you
    > need lubrication then use something else than WD-40.

    I have to disagree. WD-40 now claims to be a "light lubricant"
    [http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_faqs.html], and is specifically
    marketed for some cycling applications including chain and derailleur.
    Frequent use of WD-40 on a chain used in a dirty environment is, in my
    experience, preferable to occasional use of better lubricants. I am
    specifically thinking back to the years I commuted through heavily
    salted, grimy slush during the week, then rode muddy trails on
    weekends.

    I use other lubricants now that I tend to ride in cleaner conditions.
    Choosing the right product for the application is important, as you
    know.

    Ken

  12. Catboy

    Catboy Guest

    ICP8456 wrote:
    > *what kind of grease do you put on the bearings *

    'LOTSA PEOPLE USE THIS STUFF'
    (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=386)

    but you can go to almost any hardware/skateboard shop and ask for
    bearing grease.

    --
    Catboy - Black Soap fo' Black Faces!

    'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)

    RIP Unibiker

  13. Ken Cline

    Ken Cline Guest

    "ICP8456" <ICP8456@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> writes:

    > what kind of grease do you put on the bearings

    Phil Wood [www.philwood.com] is alway a good choice for bearing used
    in cycling.

    Ken

  14. DigitalDave

    DigitalDave Guest

    ICP8456 wrote:
    > *what kind of grease do you put on the bearings *

    Bicycle grease ... the stuff I have is colored red.

    I was wondering about this myself ...
    Cuz', I just took my brand new DX out in the snow.

    I must admit thou ... I'm not so worried about rust on the frame.

    I have a Schwinn 'SuperSport' that I think is over 40 years old now...
    the frame has no rust... the only part frame related that broke was the
    neck of the handle bars. Seems the years of jumping curbs had it's toll
    one day when I ripped the handle bars off the bike when hopping a
    curb.
    (my gurl thought I was superhuman)

    On closer inspection ... the handle bar post (neck) fused itself to the
    inside of the frame nut due to oxidation from 40 years in the
    elements.

    So, use the WD40 on the joints also.
    (wipe with rag sprayed with it (it's less messy that way)

    I believe my DX is a frame made of casted parts. So, I'm not so worried
    about rust immediately. There's stuff posted in this forum and on the
    web for treating frames and metals.

    --
    DigitalDave - scabless

    'nf7-s ~ xp2400mobile'
    (http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=21988)
    '19,812 3dm01' (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8347718)

    my will to live was stronger than my will to die. - iggy pop
    that which does not kill me, makes me stronger. - friedrich nietzsche

    DigitalDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8003

  15. Ride in the snow, water, mud, whatever you like.
    You will probably cause noticable damage (as in performance) to the
    bearings and the pedals.
    Use the "damaged" bearings (and pedals) for such rides, and use good
    bearings for everything else.

    My thought is that you will destroy, replace or upgrade your uni BEFORE
    it "rusts to death."

    --
    ChangingLINKS.com - member

    Drew Brown
    http://www.ChangingLINKS.com
    ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

  16. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    ICP8456 wrote:
    > *what kind of grease do you put on the bearings *

    I mostly use the Phil Wood grease (the green stuff). It's good for use
    when overhauling and regreasing a pedal. I also use it for smearing on
    bolt threads and other surfaces just because it's what I have on hand.

    I recommended putting some grease on the outside of the hub bearings to
    cut down on rust on the bearing and to also give a little more
    protection to keep water out of the bearing seals.

    In the summer you'll want to put less grease on the outside of the
    bearing because the excess grease will just attract more dirt. In the
    summer I just put a little bit of grease on the outside of the bearing
    race (the outer metal ring) where it contacts the frame and the bearing
    cap. That is just to prevent rust.

    In the Winter you can smear some grease on the outside of the rubber or
    metal seal to help keep some water and dirt from entering the inside of
    the bearing. In the Winter it is the water getting inside the bearing
    and washing away the grease that kills the bearing. Snow packed around
    the bearing is very good at working its way around the seal and into the
    bearing.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  17. KcTheAcy

    KcTheAcy Guest

  18. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    The rainy season has started here in Seattle. Time to resurrect a good
    thread from last year. Read up on the posts from JC, then take the
    time to "winterize" your uni(s). I've found my weekend project.

    --
    tomblackwood

    Tailgate at your own risk...

Share This Page