Sora rear derailler - -> 7 speed cassette???

richard_k

May 30, 2006
Hi, i recently bought a raleigh airlite road bike as a starter to get into the sport. right from the start i wasnt happy with the rear derailler, changes where sluggish and unreliable. i have fully adjusted it to run as best it can but i am at the point where i would like to maybe upgrade it. im a student and do not have alot of money to spend so i have been looking at the shimano sora range. The rear cassette is 7 speed the current derailer is a RD-TY18 (which seems to be non existant on the shimano website!) and the shifter is a bar mounted 7 speed SIS. Im wondering if its as simple as replacing the the rear derailler? i will probably upgrade to the sora STI shifters soon.
Any help will be greatly apprechiated!

Rich

I guess its this one: http://www.raleighbikes.com/cyclesproductdetails.aspx?ID=1

Your problem is more the shifters than the derailleur. Also have a look at the cassette, is it a Shimano and the model number? MF spin on or CS slide on with a lock nut?

If considering an upgrade to 7 speed STI shifters, doing this with a 7 speed hub may prove difficult as they are no longer listed in the Shimano Book. You may have to use 8 speed Sora STIs, front and rear derailleurs and adjust the rear to only shift the high 7 of the 8. This will cost more than the bike is worth. :eek:

richard_k said:
Hi, i recently bought a raleigh airlite road bike as a starter to get into the sport. right from the start i wasnt happy with the rear derailler, changes where sluggish and unreliable. i have fully adjusted it to run as best it can but i am at the point where i would like to maybe upgrade it. im a student and do not have alot of money to spend so i have been looking at the shimano sora range. The rear cassette is 7 speed the current derailer is a RD-TY18 (which seems to be non existant on the shimano website!) and the shifter is a bar mounted 7 speed SIS. Im wondering if its as simple as replacing the the rear derailler? i will probably upgrade to the sora STI shifters soon.
Any help will be greatly apprechiated!

Rich
Any current Shimano road derailleur, such as the Sora, will work fine. The reason you can't find your old RD on the Shimano site is that they only archive back three or four years at most (which is absurd, IMHO).

Sora 7spd STI shifters are now available at Nashbar for $69US (!!!). Use code "W215" (until 6/14) and you can get 10% off of that price. So, for about $62 you can get to STI. Not bad. I'm going to guess they won't be in stock for long at that price.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=104&subcategory=1194&brand=&sku=17867&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

Also, if your shifting is "sluggish and unreliable", are you sure it's not a cable issue? A little lightweight oil, like TriFlow, in the cable housing will solve a lot of shifting problems. Better yet, get a new cable and housing - they're cheap.