"Soup Bones" vs. "Beef Marrow Bones"

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Strategy510@gmail.com, Feb 14, 2005.

  1. So I always make my beef soup with these generic "soup bones" from
    Safeways (the assumption here is that they are beef, they sure look
    like it).

    They were out, so I went to Albertson's and couldn't find "soup bones"
    and picked up these "beef marrow bones" instead.

    They *kinda* look alike

    am I on the right track here, or am I setting myself up for an unknown
    taste sensation that may be nasty?

    Thanks,

    STRATEGY

    Tags:

  2. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Dog3 wrote:
    > Strategy510@gmail.com wrote in
    >

    > > So I always make my beef soup with these generic "soup bones" from
    > > Safeways (the assumption here is that they are beef, they sure look
    > > like it).
    > >
    > > They were out, so I went to Albertson's and couldn't find "soup

    bones"
    > > and picked up these "beef marrow bones" instead.
    > >
    > > They *kinda* look alike
    > >
    > > am I on the right track here, or am I setting myself up for an

    unknown
    > > taste sensation that may be nasty?

    > The biggest difference between the two (that I have been able to see)

    is
    > the soup bone has more meat on it.

    "Soup Bone" is simply a generic term for any bone regardless how much
    meat is present... even fowl bones are "Soup Bones", and fowl bones are
    hollow and contain no marrow. Marrow bones are the long bones of
    mammals, typically the leg bones.... usually sawn into 2" sections so
    the marrow can be more easily extracted. If you're not going to eat
    the marrow then there is no point in paying for marrow bones. Marrow
    bones are typically roasted, the marrow extracted and eaten, often
    spread on bread. Marrow bones are not typically used for stock, but
    can be if one deigns to extravagance. With some recipes, like braised
    shanks, the marrow is considered the choicest part... sending the eaten
    dish back with the marrow still intact tells the chef that culinarilly
    you're a clod.

  3. pavane

    pavane Guest

    <Strategy510@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > So I always make my beef soup with these generic "soup bones" from
    > Safeways (the assumption here is that they are beef, they sure look
    > like it).
    >
    > They were out, so I went to Albertson's and couldn't find "soup bones"
    > and picked up these "beef marrow bones" instead.
    >
    > They *kinda* look alike
    >
    > am I on the right track here, or am I setting myself up for an unknown
    > taste sensation that may be nasty?

    Actually you are setting yourself up for a fabulous flavor, that of
    beef marrow, an essential component of Sauce Bordelaise and
    a not-to-be-without flavor in beef stews and so forth. The marrow
    is the softish beige colored stuff in the middle of the bones, btw,
    and is eminently edible spread on bread and lightly salted after
    it has been poached a bit. You made a step in the right direction.

    pavane

  4. rosie

    rosie Guest

    Oh Boy !! The marrow is the best part!! When I was a kid, we used to
    all fight over the " weasel " I wonder why we called it that ....
    Rosie

  5. In article <1108401234.933205.87670@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
    Strategy510@gmail.com wrote:

    > So I always make my beef soup with these generic "soup bones" from
    > Safeways (the assumption here is that they are beef, they sure look
    > like it).
    >
    > They were out, so I went to Albertson's and couldn't find "soup
    > bones" and picked up these "beef marrow bones" instead.

    > They *kinda* look alike
    >
    > am I on the right track here, or am I setting myself up for an unknown
    > taste sensation that may be nasty?
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > STRATEGY

    I always look for marrow bones with meat surrounding the bone for soup.
    I like the cooked marrow smeared on a piece of bread. Long ago they
    were cheap, too.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sam pics added 2-7-05.

  6. In article <1108417390.686066.188960@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    "rosie" <RMi1013934@aol.com> wrote:

    > Oh Boy !! The marrow is the best part!! When I was a kid, we used to
    > all fight over the " weasel " I wonder why we called it that ....
    > Rosie

    That's the "schpik" (shpeek). :) Slovak word.
    --
    -Barb
    <www.jamlady.eboard.com>; Sam pics added 2-7-05
    "I got the motive, which is money; and the body, which is dead!" - Rod
    Steiger as Sheriff Gillespie, "In the Heat of the Night," 1967.

  7. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > I always look for marrow bones with meat surrounding the bone for

    soup.
    > I like the cooked marrow smeared on a piece of bread. Long ago they
    > were cheap, too.

    Cheap, nuthin'... that's right, nuthin'... bones were free. In fact
    you didn't even need to ask, the butcher would automatically shtup a
    couple pounds of bone in the order... 'specially a young pretty woman.

  8. Thanks for all the responses.

    Well, I used the marrow bones just like I would the soup bones, boiled
    them for 4 hours for the stock, did not do anything special to extract
    the marrow, but I imagine some or all came out throught the boiling..

    Short story...best damn soup I've made in years!

    I boiled the bones with a couple of carrots and a couple celery stalks
    and an onion, then took out the solids (I like vegetables but not when
    they're all soggy) then started my white beans, added a lb of ground
    browned beef, cut up 3 small roma tomatoes and put them in for the last
    hour, salt, pepper and some celery salt.

    I don't know how much of a difference the marrow bones made, but I
    could swear there was a new enhanced flavor never before tasted in my
    soup :)

    STRATEGY

  9. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <1108492402.869151.69630@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    Strategy510@gmail.com wrote:

    > Thanks for all the responses.
    >
    > Well, I used the marrow bones just like I would the soup bones, boiled
    > them for 4 hours for the stock, did not do anything special to extract
    > the marrow, but I imagine some or all came out throught the boiling..
    >
    > Short story...best damn soup I've made in years!
    >
    > I boiled the bones with a couple of carrots and a couple celery stalks
    > and an onion, then took out the solids (I like vegetables but not when
    > they're all soggy) then started my white beans, added a lb of ground
    > browned beef, cut up 3 small roma tomatoes and put them in for the last
    > hour, salt, pepper and some celery salt.
    >
    > I don't know how much of a difference the marrow bones made, but I
    > could swear there was a new enhanced flavor never before tasted in my
    > soup :)
    >

    > STRATEGY

    Sounds yummy! :)

    Did you blanch and peel the tomatoes first?
    I find tomato peels to be pretty much inedible in soups?

    --
    K.

    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
    tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
    to use mental floss twice a day. -- Swami Beyondanada

  10. Maverick

    Maverick Guest

    "Dog3" <uhoh@ajfl;ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote in message
    > Strategy510@gmail.com wrote in
    >
    > Strategy,
    >
    > The biggest difference between the two (that I have been able to see) is
    > the soup bone has more meat on it. Both soup bones and beef marrow bones
    > make excellent additions to stock or broth. OTOH, the marrow bones are
    > safe
    > for dogs and a lot of people buy them as treats for their pets.
    >
    > Michael

    Michael, My MIL had me grill some marrow bones the last time we visited.
    FOR THE DOGS! I love my dogs, got three of them, but I don't
    grill/cook/marinade/stew anything for them. From my MIL's reaction, I now
    know what a conniption-fit(sp) looks like. I finally said, "Ok, I'll grill
    'em."

    I buy my dogs treats but I ain't cooking for them. Period.

    Bret
    <Hopes his wife doesn't decided to start cooking for them>

  11. Katra wrote:
    > In article <1108492402.869151.69630@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    > Strategy510@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for all the responses.
    > >
    > > Well, I used the marrow bones just like I would the soup bones,

    boiled
    > > them for 4 hours for the stock, did not do anything special to

    extract
    > > the marrow, but I imagine some or all came out throught the

    boiling..

    > > Short story...best damn soup I've made in years!
    > >
    > > I boiled the bones with a couple of carrots and a couple celery

    stalks
    > > and an onion, then took out the solids (I like vegetables but not

    when
    > > they're all soggy) then started my white beans, added a lb of

    ground
    > > browned beef, cut up 3 small roma tomatoes and put them in for the

    last
    > > hour, salt, pepper and some celery salt.
    > >
    > > I don't know how much of a difference the marrow bones made, but I
    > > could swear there was a new enhanced flavor never before tasted in

    my
    > > soup :)
    > >

    > > STRATEGY
    > >

    > Sounds yummy! :)

    it sounds pretty simple and plain, but it is soooooooooo good and
    flavorful!

    I don't cook a lot, but this is one worth bragging about :)

    > Did you blanch and peel the tomatoes first?

    I did not

    > I find tomato peels to be pretty much inedible in soups?

    I do recall, somewhere around my 2nd bowl, having to pause to pick
    something out of my teeth :)

    STRATEGY

    > --
    > K.
    >
    > Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...
    >
    > As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
    > tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
    > to use mental floss twice a day. -- Swami Beyondanada
    >
    > >,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katraatcenturyteldotnet>,,<

  12. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <Xns95FF2A07DFD79abtrulynastyevil@69.28.186.121>,
    Dog3 <uhoh@ajfl;ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote:

    > "Maverick" <bmcginty@hotmail.NOSPAM.com> wrote in
    >
    > > "Dog3" <uhoh@ajfl;ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote in message
    > >> Strategy510@gmail.com wrote in
    > >>
    > >> Strategy,
    > >>
    > >> The biggest difference between the two (that I have been able to see)
    > >> is the soup bone has more meat on it. Both soup bones and beef marrow
    > >> bones make excellent additions to stock or broth. OTOH, the marrow
    > >> bones are safe
    > >> for dogs and a lot of people buy them as treats for their pets.
    > >>
    > >> Michael

    > > Michael, My MIL had me grill some marrow bones the last time we
    > > visited. FOR THE DOGS! I love my dogs, got three of them, but I don't
    > > grill/cook/marinade/stew anything for them. From my MIL's reaction, I
    > > now know what a conniption-fit(sp) looks like. I finally said, "Ok,
    > > I'll grill 'em."
    > >
    > > I buy my dogs treats but I ain't cooking for them. Period.
    > >
    > > Bret
    > > <Hopes his wife doesn't decided to start cooking for them>

    > Visiting my mother was always a pain, especially when we had 3 dogs. Mother
    > made them hamburgers, pancakes etc. The 2 Scotties were diabetic (2 insulin
    > shots daily). I kept telling her not to feed them but she did anyway. All
    > of my pets are on strict diets and get no table food. Well, the Mutt
    > (Missy) discovered how to beg from my mother and brought the bad habit home
    > with her. The Scotties died several years ago about 8 months apart. We now
    > have the begging Missy and the greedy cat, Hoot.
    >
    > Michael

    I buy pre-cooked/smoked marrow bones (knobby joint ends) for my dogs...
    They chew them down until they get all the smoked marrow out. ;-)

    --
    K.

    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
    tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
    to use mental floss twice a day. -- Swami Beyondanada

  13. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    > Are the marrow bones really okay for dogs? I am sure Missy would
    > appreciate a late night snack other than rawhide chews from the
    > veterinarian.
    >
    > Michael

    If you boil them first...That stops splintering getting into their gums
    etc.

    Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
    Continuing to be Manitoban

  14. Hahabogus <invalid@invalid.null>, if that's their real name, wrote:

    >Dog3 <uhoh@ajfl;ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote in
    >
    >> Are the marrow bones really okay for dogs? I am sure Missy would
    >> appreciate a late night snack other than rawhide chews from the
    >> veterinarian.

    >If you boil them first...That stops splintering getting into their gums
    >etc.

    We give the bones to our dogs straight out of the package. No injuries or
    deaths to date.

    Carol

  15. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <Xns95FFA79D41CCDabtrulynastyevil@69.28.186.121>,
    Dog3 <uhoh@ajfl;ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote:

    > Katra <KatraMungBean@centurytel.net> wrote in
    >
    > > In article <Xns95FF2A07DFD79abtrulynastyevil@69.28.186.121>,
    > > Dog3 <uhoh@ajfl;ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Maverick" <bmcginty@hotmail.NOSPAM.com> wrote in

    > >> Visiting my mother was always a pain, especially when we had 3 dogs.
    > >> Mother made them hamburgers, pancakes etc. The 2 Scotties were
    > >> diabetic (2 insulin shots daily). I kept telling her not to feed them
    > >> but she did anyway. All of my pets are on strict diets and get no
    > >> table food. Well, the Mutt (Missy) discovered how to beg from my
    > >> mother and brought the bad habit home with her. The Scotties died
    > >> several years ago about 8 months apart. We now have the begging Missy
    > >> and the greedy cat, Hoot.
    > >>
    > >> Michael

    > > I buy pre-cooked/smoked marrow bones (knobby joint ends) for my
    > > dogs... They chew them down until they get all the smoked marrow out.
    > > ;-)
    > >

    > Are the marrow bones really okay for dogs? I am sure Missy would appreciate
    > a late night snack other than rawhide chews from the veterinarian.
    >
    > Michael

    I actually rarely buy rawhide for my dogs.
    There can be a choking risk with it. Not common, but it does happen!

    The pre-smoked marrow joints I get for my dogs are sold for dogs at pet
    stores, feed stores, and even Wal-mart in the pet section!

    My border collie also loves squeekie toys, (in fact, I heard her
    molesting the new one I bought the other night a little bit ago, right
    outside my bedroom window! <lol>) as well as rubber Kong's stuffed with
    p-nut butter or cheese.

    I've also bought them dried piggy noses and ears, as well as the calf
    hooves.

    When I adopted Jewely (the border collie) from the shelter, I discovered
    the first couple of days that she had an unacceptable chewing habit! She
    was about 9 months old. I really prefer adopting older dogs as I really
    don't have time for puppies.

    I called the shelter (aka dog pound) that I had adopted her from and
    asked for advice. They recommended Kong's, and jewels loved both cheese
    and p-nut butter, (turns out the shelties did too!) and the kong turned
    her on to dog toys so that helped solve the innapropriate chewing
    problem. I'm really sold on that toy! They appear to be expensive at
    first, but they really are not as they are nearly indestructable so last
    forever!

    Kat

    --
    K.

    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
    tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
    to use mental floss twice a day. -- Swami Beyondanada

  16. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress <damsel@mailblocks.com> wrote in

    > Hahabogus <invalid@invalid.null>, if that's their real name, wrote:
    >
    > >Dog3 <uhoh@ajfl;ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote in
    > >
    > >> Are the marrow bones really okay for dogs? I am sure Missy would
    > >> appreciate a late night snack other than rawhide chews from the
    > >> veterinarian.

    > >If you boil them first...That stops splintering getting into their
    > >gums etc.

    > We give the bones to our dogs straight out of the package. No
    > injuries or deaths to date.
    >
    > Carol

    Not that long ago we (the ex and me) bought a 1/2 a cow. It came
    wrapped...fat, bones and meat. I gave the neighbour several knuckle bones
    for their dogs. Those german shepherds loved the bones, but the uncooked
    bones broke into small splinters getting caught in their teeth and gums.
    We didn't know at that time that we shoulda pre-cooked the bones. This
    softens the bones thus elliminating such a hazard.

  17. Hahabogus <invalid@invalid.null>, if that's their real name, wrote:

    >Not that long ago we (the ex and me) bought a 1/2 a cow. It came
    >wrapped...fat, bones and meat. I gave the neighbour several knuckle bones
    >for their dogs. Those german shepherds loved the bones, but the uncooked
    >bones broke into small splinters getting caught in their teeth and gums.
    >We didn't know at that time that we shoulda pre-cooked the bones. This
    >softens the bones thus elliminating such a hazard.

    Ahhhhhhh! Our mutts weigh 13 and 26 pounds, respectively. They don't have
    nearly the jaw strength of a shepherd. However, I'll start roasting them
    first. They'll probably taste better, too.

    I used to eat the marrow out of bones when I was a kid. Now the mere
    thought makes me queasy.

    Carol, who only got up at this ungodly hour because the 26 pounder sounded
    like he was gonna barf, and I wanted him to do it outside. Now that he's
    fine, I'm going back to bed.

  18. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    > Damsel in dis Dress <damsel@mailblocks.com> wrote in
    >
    >> Hahabogus <invalid@invalid.null>, if that's their real name, wrote:
    >>
    >>>Not that long ago we (the ex and me) bought a 1/2 a cow. It came
    >>>wrapped...fat, bones and meat. I gave the neighbour several knuckle
    >>>bones for their dogs. Those german shepherds loved the bones, but the
    >>>uncooked bones broke into small splinters getting caught in their
    >>>teeth and gums. We didn't know at that time that we shoulda pre-cooked
    >>>the bones. This softens the bones thus elliminating such a hazard.

    >> Ahhhhhhh! Our mutts weigh 13 and 26 pounds, respectively. They don't
    >> have nearly the jaw strength of a shepherd. However, I'll start
    >> roasting them first. They'll probably taste better, too.
    >>
    >> I used to eat the marrow out of bones when I was a kid. Now the mere
    >> thought makes me queasy.
    >>
    >> Carol, who only got up at this ungodly hour because the 26 pounder
    >> sounded like he was gonna barf, and I wanted him to do it outside.
    >> Now that he's fine, I'm going back to bed.

    > I'm up because both of them are screaming for food at 6am. I feed them,
    > play online and then hit the sack again. Don't take all the blankets Dams.
    >
    > Michael <- on the way to bed
    > =======================

    Yep. I'll see ya and raise you a 100.8 ° temperature... ugghhh. Maxi
    wanted to freshen up at 3:45 this morning. No problem. I was awake
    anyway... couldn't decide if I was chilled or sweating. Poor baby dog - *I*
    was probably why she was awake.. all of my tossing and turning and problems
    keeping my head clear enough to breathe. She's a good dog - she seems to be
    taking it all in stride.

    Thyndi

  19. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <Xns96003A3294DEBabtrulynastyevil@69.28.186.121>,

    That is what pets are for!!! <lol>

    Missy sounds like a real fun pup......

    --
    K.

    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
    tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
    to use mental floss twice a day. -- Swami Beyondanada

  20. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <2f2911lvt534dns127jom5207avsjp0k75@4ax.com>,
    Damsel in dis Dress <damsel@mailblocks.com> wrote:

    > Dog3 <uhoh@ajfl;ajklsd;ajlds.nutz>, if that's their real name, wrote:
    >
    > >Hoot plays with anything. I've given her expensive toys that
    > >she looks at with disdain. Her fave toy is a rolled up ball of aluminum
    > >foil.

    > Until a couple of years ago, we had a black lab named Panther. Her
    > favorite toy was rocks. We'd let her out to do her thing, and she'd come
    > back with a rock in her mouth. We had a big pile of them on the deck, and
    > they were all over the house, as well. She chewed on them like they were
    > bones. Goofy dog!
    >
    > Carol

    Misty, my old Australian Shepard, also chewed on rocks.

    It cracked her back teeth and she had to have teeth pulled later on in
    life. :p

    She passed on a couple of years ago at age 15.

    Kat

    --
    K.

    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
    tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
    to use mental floss twice a day. -- Swami Beyondanada

Share This Page