Special Request: Chain Cleaning And Lube Video

BobCochran

May 3, 2015
Could one or more of you experienced folks consider posting a YouTube video showing how to do chain cleanings and chain lubes? Yes, I know there are plenty of them already on YouTube, but I wonder how you, the members of Cycling Forums, take care of this task.

I wonder how you folks deal with crud like bits of leaves, dirt, and so on that cake on the drive line.

There is no pressure -- you don't need to do anything.

And you can do it when you feel like it, of course. If you feel like it.

Thanks a ton

Bob

chain cleaner.JPGI don't have a video but I do saturate a rag with WD40 maybe once a month and run my chain through it. I grip the chain with the rag and back pedal. It cleans most of the junk off. I let it dry then lube the chain.

I let it dry for a while.

I myself put one drop on each bearing/roller of the chain. I start at the connecting pin or the quick connect link whichever is present.

Maybe once every 3 months I run mine through a plastic chain cleaner thingie I bought at Performance. I use one of those purple safe degreaser solutions. Works very well.

I let it dry then lube a few hours later. B)

Reactions: BobCochran
I tried the WD40 thing and I didn't like it. I've since switched to cleaning my chain with Purple Power, I get it at the automotive store and it's way cheaper than the solvents they sell at LBS's and it works far better than WD40...truth be known the solvents from LBS's worked better than WD40.

Videos are galore on You Tube, keep in mind these are opinions, none of which are wrong just different, so chose the one you think will work best for you; see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz0VoNo6JzQ (this one is the noisiest drivetrain I've ever heard!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOZLa539wd0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6icycUGNJSU
http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/article/how-to-clean-and-lube-your-bikes-drivechain-video-18259/ (scan down till you see the blue screen with the play button)
http://www.bicycling.com/video/how-to-clean-and-lube-a-bicycle-chain (use your mouse curser and hover in the lower section to show the play button)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHKECsqYjLA (this is what I do, except I fill it to the line with the Purple Power degreaser; I also think it does a better job than a rag; also there is a magnet on the bottom that attracts metal particles; they sell the internal scrubber parts when the original ones wear out; I pedal backwards slower than she does in the video to prevent splatter more; you need to make sure you don't do any cleaning over carpet or flooring you care about.) If you let this video run to the end a 2nd one starts for the same cleaning machine done by a different person but he spins it way too fast, doing that will splatter dirty solvent all over the floor, bike, and walls; I also don't use water which I kind of cringe doing so on a naked chain.

Usually when I get done cleaning it I will spray it with Finish Line Speed Bike Degreaser instead of water, this will take off the solvent which takes a awhile to dry and this stuff dries very fast like within a couple of minutes.

Buying a solvent because it dries faster than another solvent.

Hmmmmm.

swampy1970 said:
Buying a solvent because it dries faster than another solvent.

Hmmmmm.
Hmmmm, I can tell you never tried that speed solvent. It dries within a couple of minutes, regular solvent takes about 8 to 12 hours which is why people use water to chase out the solvent then you have to use air to chase out the water, but I don't like all that extra work and time, so this method is a lot faster. Keep in mind, this is just how I do it, there are dozens of ways and methods none of which are wrong unless you use Simple Green or gasoline.

Please tell us why Simple Green is 'wrong'. I've used it every week for over 10 years with no problems. The chain comes out spotless. Re-lubricate and ride.

Rinse, lather, repeat.

Supposedly you can drink the stuff and while you may barf, it won't make you dead.

"This formula is orally non-toxic per The Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals and readily biodegradable per OECD 301D."

Simple Green sells a bike cleaning kit: http://buy.simplegreen.com/bike-cleaning-kit Will the product somehow destroy my chain or just melt my carbon fiber into a gelatinous puddle?

Simple Green also manufactures Boeing and Pratt & Whitney approved degreasers: http://industrial.simplegreen.com/ind_products_extreme.php

Looking forward to hearing 'why' I've been 'wrong' while spending the last decade on brilliantly gleaming chains that have never once asploded.

There's nothing wrong with using WD-40 to displace water. As a lubricant it might be OK for ultralight use, but I prefer something heavier. It does make a good spot-cleaner IMO. Hose it down and rag it off. Then add lube of choice. Go ride.

I am using Simple Green myself, and like it a lot more than the expensive Park degreasers/cleaners.

Thanks for the videos, I've already seen most of them...my goal with the original post is to see how Cycling Forums members do it.

Bob

BobCochran said:
I am using Simple Green myself, and like it a lot more than the expensive Park degreasers/cleaners.

Thanks for the videos, I've already seen most of them...my goal with the original post is to see how Cycling Forums members do it.

Bob
It's a greasy job. Not sure I would want to handle my video recorders while cleaning the chain. :eek:

ahh the SImple Green issue; ok, then read this, granted the comment about leaving it to soak a chain for 5 months is bit obsurd, but more the stuff probably won't damage chains if used briefly instead of for 5 months, but I've never been a fan of the stuff; there is also a comment about their new product which may be ok but I will personally stay away from it till more is known, anyway see: http://velonews.competitor.com/2005/11/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/technical-qa-with-lennard-zinn-not-so-simple-green-2_9216

BobCochran said:

Bob

Bob. :D

I am not gonna record a video of me getting blitzed with beer and greased with blacked tf2 lube for you. :D

What are you gonna do? :D Fire me? :D

You cant Fire me! :D I quit! :D

Just use handwashing powder soap. ;) It cleans real fast and easy. Just dont rub it on the frame much. I suspect it might be a bit abbrasive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmL54tqqWZg

Wait until more is known???

You do realize Zinn's column was from 2005?

There's been 10 years of data collected since then. How much more do we need before some imaginary rash of asploding chains internet hoax is put to rest forever?

There has simply been no rash of chain breakage traced to spraying, hosing or soaking in Simple Green or ANY other cleaning agent since that blog. The purported 'Hydrogen Embrittlement' mentioned is both physically and chemically impossible.

There WAS a well known issue with SRAM chain breakage that was traced to the manufacturer. Simple Green, nor ANY other cleaner/degreaser had anything to do with that problem.

Frankly, short of using some percentage of concentrated acid or alkalis used to attack the steel...which WOULD result in readily identifiable micro-cracking, pitting, etching or surface treatment degradation. And there has been NONE of this reported.

I would have been the poster child for chain breakage 'if' cleaning a bicycle chain in Simple Green could somehow work an impossible chemical attack on the many chains I've cleaned with Simple Green. These include Sedis, Regina, Campagnolo...and yes...even my shitmaNO chain on the Emonda. Not the el cheapo Sedis...which is cheaply black oxided carbon steel...or the most expensive Campagnolo high Nickel plated chains were damaged in any way.

Looking at once-a-week and many times twice-a-week cleanings on multiple bikes over at least 10 years, I'm guessing I've performed well over 600 cleanings with Simple Green and have yet to die or sustain even a hangnail as the result of using that excellent product.

From the MSDS the active ingredients in Purple Power are:
INGREDIENTS: Water, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Metasilicate, 2-butoxyethanol, and surfacants
MANUFACTURER: Aiken Chemical Co., Inc., Greenville, SC

2- Butoxyethanol* 111-76-2 <8 25 ppm N/A
Sodium Metasilicate
Sodium Hydroxide 1344-09-8 1310-73-2 <5 <6 N/A 2 mg/m3 N/A N/A 25 ppm N

This product is destructive to eye tissues. Will cause burns that result in damage to the eyes and blindness if the solution remains in contact with the eye.

Swallowing will irritate throat, esophagus and digestive tract. Product may cause burns to mucous membranes of the mouth, throat, esophagus and stomach.

Airborne concentrations of mists/vapors may cause damage to the upper respiratory tract and even to lung tissue. If the product is heated, vapors are acutely toxic if inhaled.

From the MSDS the active ingredients in Simple Green are:
Water ≥ 78%
2‐butoxyethanol ≤ 5%
Ethoxylated Alcohol ≤ 5%
Tetrapotassium Pyrophosphate ≤ 5%
Sodium Citrate ≤ 5%
Fragrance Proprietary Mixture ≤ 1%
Colorant Proprietary Mixture ≤ 1%

NFPA/HMIS Rating:
Health = 1 = slight
Fire, Reactivity, and Special = 0 = minimal

Eye Contact: Mildly irritating.
Skin Contact: No adverse effects expected under typical use conditions. Prolonged exposure may cause dryness. Chemically sensitive individuals may experience mild irritation.
Ingestion: May cause stomach or intestinal irritation if swallowed.
Inhalation: No adverse effects expected under typical use conditions. Adequate ventilation should be present for prolonged usage in small enclosed areas.

If anything, the reactivity, toxicity and corrosive effects of Purple Power are greater than those of Simple Green. And despite the dire warnings on the Purple Power MSDS I highly doubt there has been one person in the entire United States hospitalized due to its use.

They give this stuff to housewives to clean with so I could be completely wrong on that! Please don't shoot me for qualifying my statement!

...and Bob,

I have to join the others in not providing a superfulous chain cleaning video.

I will briefly describe my procedure...which is almost identical to every video already made.

The actual cleaning:
Put Park Tool chain cleaner on chain.
Over-fill with Simple Green (I really want to destroy my chain)
Back pedal about 50 revolutions.
Add MORE Simple Green to Park chain cleaner.
Back pedal some more.

The Post Cleaning:
Wipe chain and bike with clean, dry rags.
Lubricate chain with handy chain lube of choice.
Admire Brilliantly Sparkling Clean Chain for a few seconds.
Go ride and ignore the morons on the internet for a few peaceful hours and get back to having a black, oily chain...as life should be.

Note:
If at all possible and barring only Winter snow and sub-zero temperatures I clean my chain outdoors in my driveway. I can make all the mess I want to without retribution from She Who Must Be Obeyed and if I accidentally grab a bottle of Purple Power my lungs will not be at risk of melting from toxic fumes.

Froze said:
I tried the WD40 thing and I didn't like it. I've since switched to cleaning my chain with Purple Power, I get it at the automotive store and it's way cheaper than the solvents they sell at LBS's and it works far better than WD40...truth be known the solvents from LBS's worked better than WD40.
You realize you pretty much just said the same thing I just said. I use the WD as a quick cleaner then I use the purple stuff for a good cleaning.

Funny you don't care what CampyBob like, just what everybody else likes! :lol:

There's a whole lot of 'opinions', but only one fact: Simple Green is just fine for cleaning bike chains. ANY Simple Green. I'm living, breathing, typing proof of that.

Provide me some metallurgical evidence any of the citrus or water based household cleaners damage a bike chain. I've never diluted the Simple Green I've used or the Orange Stuff I stole from my wife when I ran out. I've never ruined any aluminum Campy pieces parts. Not one. Not ever. I wish someone would explain to me just how they manage to ruin their bikes from paint to bar tape to brake hoods to chainrings to steel, plated chains!!! with a household cleaner that's safe in the hands of true blonde housewives on every damned painted, plastic, chrome and aluminum thing in the entire house?

<From your link> "Avoid rinsing chains in water..."??? I guess I'll stop riding in the rain and through mud puddles too. WTF? Are people retarded? Don't answer that! Maybe he should tell the pro team mechanics not to use a pressure washer after every stage of the world's most famous races to...clean chains. Oh wait...I'm certain they heat them up to dry them before applying the approved lubes from the link...otherwise an asplode will make them deaded.

There's way too many 'experts' out there and not enough common sense. Or just plain old sense.

And again, I don't care if YOU happen to like Purple Power...even having been shown is likely MORE toxic and reactive than Simple Green. This is America and you and I have the freedom to use what we plea But telling people that cleaning with Simple Green, or gasoline for that matter, is "wrong" is beyond dumb. You would probably **** yourself if you saw us clean components in acetone.

Meh...it's no biggee. We all have opinions and we all know what opinions are like.

While I do like mine at least somewhat based on facts I will <Voltaire the Franchie dude or some author somewhere else mode> defend anyone's right to patriotically clean their chain in the non-denominational, Ph neutral, organically grown, biodiverse, sustainable color of their choice! We are all Orange on the inside!

Here ya go, Bob...a horror show that would make morons all over the intarwebz cringe.

Bike-Washing-Tip-How-To-Wash.jpg

Don't worries folks...it's only a shitmaNO chain that's getting hosed.

Remember kidz...Simple Green bad. Hose Bad. Purple Juice good. Fast solvents applied over slow solvents good.

Yo dog, I knew you liked solvents so I got you a solvent for your solvent.

Yer doin' it wrong!

Water running all over the asphalt? Check!
Simple Green Chain Destroyer? Check!
A lube not the 'approved' list of some dweeb on the intarnetz? Check!

modif.-chain1.jpg

Pssssst! Hey kid. Yeahs you!

Don't tell no one, but last year Simple Green started marketing their plot to destroy stuff directly to dumbass bikers...er...cyclists.

0400000113075.jpg

Just like the WD-40 folks got fed up with internet retards and started selling stuff in a new bottle with a bike on the label, Simple Green diluted their stuff to 86% water (up from 78%) and upped the price tag!

Profit!!! How does it work?!?!

But please, you dumbass Slow Twitch morons...please, please, please don't store your bike chain, precious jewelry, Dutch masters cigars, condoms or dildos in it for five months. Apply and use according to label instructions and you'll be fine.

Mr. Beanz said:
You realize you pretty much just said the same thing I just said. I use the WD as a quick cleaner then I use the purple stuff for a good cleaning.

Funny you don't care what CampyBob like, just what everybody else likes! :lol:
I like to get a rise out of Preposterous Bob (he admits he's campy), he goes on and on and on, it's hysterical. :D

From the Urban Dictionary: “Camp” n. or “Campy” adj. refers to intentionally exaggerated thematic or genre elements, especially in television and motion picture mediums. “Camp” style willfully over-emphasizes certain elements of the genre or theme, creating an almost self-satirical milieu.