'Speeding Bikes'

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
The Age Letters...

"Speeding Bikes

Interesting to read (11/1) that on footpaths in Victoria, a motorised vehicle such as a Segway (electric scooter) is limited to 10km/h.
So is there a similar speed limit for cyclists who ride (legally or not) on footpaths? If so, there is little evidence of enforcement around inner Melbourne.
Bernie Joyce, Parkville"

flyingdutch said:
The Age Letters...

"Speeding Bikes

Interesting to read (11/1) that on footpaths in Victoria, a motorised vehicle such as a Segway (electric scooter) is limited to 10km/h.
So is there a similar speed limit for cyclists who ride (legally or not) on footpaths? If so, there is little evidence of enforcement around inner Melbourne.
Bernie Joyce, Parkville"

onya Bernie!! Time to slow those illegal footpath riders down.. that'll make them less illegal?

gplama said:
onya Bernie!! Time to slow those illegal footpath riders down.. that'll make them less illegal?

Bernie you are some piece of work.......

Also Bernie we should enforce people who stumble across bike only paths and cause unneccessary havock....

I saw bring back the death penalty....shoot em all :rolleyes:

spiz said:

Also Bernie we should enforce people who stumble across bike only paths and cause unneccessary havock....

:rolleyes:
and drivers of urban assault vehicles, stopped, parked in, driven on or just harrasssing anyone riding in a marked bike lane (& anyone on a bike) ......

I'm left wondering whether it is Bernie, or his alter ego, Joyce???

Who gets to ride the good bike or draught the other. and who wears the pants...

Back OT, should there be a speed limit for joggers? dogs?
shouldnt pedestrians pay rego? or get in the ped-lanes?

sigh...
:rolleyes:

flyingdutch wrote:
> The Age Letters...
>
> "Speeding Bikes
>
> Interesting to read (11/1) that on footpaths in Victoria, a motorised
> vehicle such as a Segway (electric scooter) is limited to 10km/h.
> So is there a similar speed limit for cyclists who ride (legally or
> not) on footpaths? If so, there is little evidence of enforcement
> around inner Melbourne.
> Bernie Joyce, Parkville"

I think Bernie may have a point. Is there a speed limit for 12y/o's on
the footpath? If not, should there be? You could also reasonably ask
if there should be a speed limit on shared use paths. I don't think
that's an unreasonable thing to discuss.

Some granny gets skittled by a 12y/o doing 30km/h down the footpath?
Unlikely? Nope ...

flyingdutch said:
I'm left wondering whether it is Bernie, or his alter ego, Joyce???

Who gets to ride the good bike or draught the other. and who wears the pants...

Back OT, should there be a speed limit for joggers? dogs?
shouldnt pedestrians pay rego? or get in the ped-lanes?

sigh...
:rolleyes:

Yes there should be a speed limit for dogs - about 98% of the speed limit for bikes, so, for a while they think they have a chance but ultimately they loose - I had a mut chase me this week that couldn't keep up so I slowed down to maxmise the chase and the distance the owner would have to walk to collect their dog.

Bleve said:
flyingdutch wrote:
> The Age Letters...
>
> "Speeding Bikes
>
> Interesting to read (11/1) that on footpaths in Victoria, a motorised
> vehicle such as a Segway (electric scooter) is limited to 10km/h.
> So is there a similar speed limit for cyclists who ride (legally or
> not) on footpaths? If so, there is little evidence of enforcement
> around inner Melbourne.
> Bernie Joyce, Parkville"

I think Bernie may have a point. Is there a speed limit for 12y/o's on
the footpath? If not, should there be? You could also reasonably ask
if there should be a speed limit on shared use paths. I don't think
that's an unreasonable thing to discuss.

Some granny gets skittled by a 12y/o doing 30km/h down the footpath?
Unlikely? Nope ...
My understanding is the speed limit is one of circumstance, in that pedestrians on a footpath have an absolute right of way...cyclists must avoid them, so it is an interesting concept to discuss as to a theoretical kph limit as opposed to riding in a manner and at a speed that is acceptable in the circumstances to avoid injury to a pedestrian or property...

It seems we are asking a lot of children under 12 to exercise the care and responsibility of a reasonable man so as to discharge their duty of care under the laws of Tort (negligence)...

hence my general theory is that the parent of any child involved in such an incident ( or the person in loco parentis- legal guardian etc) should carry the consequence of the child's action, (providing) the child's action was not the action of a child of that age in those circumstances acting in a reasonable manner ( for a child)...

you still with me....it is a difficult concept to force a child to carry the burden of a duty of care equal to that of an adult....we can teach them, seek to ensure they understand the concept and have the skills to do it, but when it comes to the crunch, should we then hit them with penalties that might start them on a course of anti-social behaviour ( out of something as innocent as a child being a child).

This is a monster issue, that's why IMHO the law allows children up to 12 to ride on a footpath, with little other control as to their behaviour...and the other users of the footpath whether old, young or blind etc, have to understand that a child on a bike may not have the control to avoid them.

We all had to learn to ride as kids, many did this just as above, on a footpath, amongst pedestrians and we probably all ran into some one's grandmother too!....but we didnt do it maliciously ( did we?), and we had to learn all about controlling ourselves and our equipment ( no smirks now) in the presence of others....so unless the action was clearly malicious, I think society will continue to give kids the leeway to make mistakes on footpaths at our cost....its the price we pay for our kids to grow.

HOWEVER, I am for ensuring that older kids over 12, dont leave their bikes laying across the paths, ride on the footpaths harrassing anyone and have a greater obligation to observe the road laws...they owe this to themselves as well as society, and if they stuff up on purpose, they should bear the consequences and in many instances their adult guardians should have the final liability...:eek:

here endeth the lesson.......watchathunk?

Bleve said:
I think Bernie may have a point. Is there a speed limit for 12y/o's on
the footpath? If not, should there be? You could also reasonably ask
if there should be a speed limit on shared use paths. I don't think
that's an unreasonable thing to discuss.

Some granny gets skittled by a 12y/o doing 30km/h down the footpath?
Unlikely? Nope ...

What about speed limiting those gofer things the olds crank around in? I've seen many of them zip by at 2-3x walking speed... danger I say!

flyingdutch said:
The Age Letters...

"Speeding Bikes

Interesting to read (11/1) that on footpaths in Victoria, a motorised vehicle such as a Segway (electric scooter) is limited to 10km/h.
So is there a similar speed limit for cyclists who ride (legally or not) on footpaths? If so, there is little evidence of enforcement around inner Melbourne.
Bernie Joyce, Parkville"

Goddamn speeding uni students! Bernie is right - western civilisation is crashing down about our ears due to this foolish behaviour.

Wonder if it ever crossed Bernies brain (it maybe possible) to contact Melb Uni admin or the on campus bicycle users group?

Dunno. The stuff I ride on says 'Bike path' or 'shared path'.
No signs saying 'footpath'.

I jog/run at average 13kms/hr.
How does that effect things?

Marx SS said:
Dunno. The stuff I ride on says 'Bike path' or 'shared path'.
No signs saying 'footpath'.
I jog/run at average 13kms/hr.
How does that effect things?

90+ kilos of hippy r_nning along a path. Gran dives out at me (it wouldn't be my inattention or anything like that! ;-) ). It could be lights out for Gran. :S

Solution: BAN ALL MOVING OBJECTS!!!

hippy

Marx SS wrote:
> Dunno. The stuff I ride on says 'Bike path' or 'shared path'.
> No signs saying 'footpath'.
>
> I jog/run at average 13kms/hr.
> How does that effect things?

That's a dangerous speed to run at on footpaths, that's why I choose to
run much slower, purely for the safety of others ;) .

DaveB

DaveB wrote:

> Marx SS wrote:
> > Dunno. The stuff I ride on says 'Bike path' or 'shared path'.
> > No signs saying 'footpath'.
> >
> > I jog/run at average 13kms/hr.
> > How does that effect things?
> >

> That's a dangerous speed to run at on footpaths, that's why I choose to
> run much slower, purely for the safety of others ;) .
>
> DaveB

The goodwill bridge has a 10km/h speed limit. I regularly break this
(while running). I have no idea how they picked that number, it must
have been picked randomly, or by sedentary types.

Tam

Tamyka Bell said:
DaveB wrote:

> Marx SS wrote:
> > Dunno. The stuff I ride on says 'Bike path' or 'shared path'.
> > No signs saying 'footpath'.
> >
> > I jog/run at average 13kms/hr.
> > How does that effect things?
> >

> That's a dangerous speed to run at on footpaths, that's why I choose to
> run much slower, purely for the safety of others ;) .
>
> DaveB

The goodwill bridge has a 10km/h speed limit. I regularly break this
(while running). I have no idea how they picked that number, it must
have been picked randomly, or by sedentary types.

Tam
yeah thats like those walking trail time guides, where they tell you it will take 2 hours and normal walking speed you are back in 30 minutes, wondering what to do with the other 1 1/2 hours.

MikeyOz wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> > DaveB wrote:

> > > That's a dangerous speed to run at on footpaths, that's why I choose

> > > run much slower, purely for the safety of others ;) .
> > >
> > > DaveB

> > The goodwill bridge has a 10km/h speed limit. I regularly break this
> > (while running). I have no idea how they picked that number, it must
> > have been picked randomly, or by sedentary types.
> >
> > Tam

> yeah thats like those walking trail time guides, where they tell you
> it will take 2 hours and normal walking speed you are back in 30
> minutes, wondering what to do with the other 1 1/2 hours.

Last weekend, Steven and I did a 7 hour circuit in 2.5 hours. Including
a few view breaks and snack breaks.

On 2006-01-20, MikeyOz <[email protected]> wrote:
> yeah thats like those walking trail time guides, where they tell you
> it will take 2 hours and normal walking speed you are back in 30
> minutes, wondering what to do with the other 1 1/2 hours.

Well, you could take a leaf out of Tom Lehrer's book and go poisoning
pigeons in the park ...

(No, I haven't been reading the monastery. Really. Honest.)

On 2006-01-20, MikeyOz <[email protected]> wrote:
> yeah thats like those walking trail time guides, where they tell you
> it will take 2 hours and normal walking speed you are back in 30
> minutes, wondering what to do with the other 1 1/2 hours.

Well, you could take a leaf out of Tom Lehrer's book and go poisoning
pigeons in the park ...

(No, I haven't been reading the monastery. Really. Honest.)

I think my favourite Lehrer song is the plagiarism song (Lobachevsky song)..

Who made me the genius I am today,
The mathematician that others all quote?
Who's the professor that made me that way,
The greatest that ever got chalk on his coat?

One man deserves the credit,
One man deserves the blame,
and Nicolai Ivanovich Lobachevsky is his name. Oy!
Nicolai Ivanovich Lobache...

I am never forget the day I first meet the great Lobachevsky.
In one word he told me secret of success in mathematics: Plagiarize!

Plagiarize,
Let no one else's work evade your eyes,
Remember why the good Lord made your eyes,
So don't shade your eyes,
But plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize...
Only be sure always to call it please, "research".

SteveA

Tamyka Bell wrote:

> The goodwill bridge has a 10km/h speed limit. I regularly break this
> (while running). I have no idea how they picked that number, it must
> have been picked randomly, or by sedentary types.

Oi! I have trouble maintaining that speed while running. I just managed
to do about 4km in 20 minutes today. I blew up towards the end and just
managed to pace myself to the finish line.

I need to get fitter than this if I am going to compete in my first
triathlon in March. If I was knackered after a 4km run, I can only
imagine how I will feel during the run after the swim and bike legs.

petulance said:

Oi! I have trouble maintaining that speed while running. I just managed
to do about 4km in 20 minutes today. I blew up towards the end and just
managed to pace myself to the finish line.

I need to get fitter than this if I am going to compete in my first
triathlon in March. If I was knackered after a 4km run, I can only
imagine how I will feel during the run after the swim and bike legs.

Ummmm well, let's just say your legs will feel terrible. :D

I've done a couple of short triathlons now and let's just say that I'm not exactly going to ever win but I've found the main thing with triathlons is to finish. I've written up my triathlons at http://suziebuch.blogspot.com/ and as you will see it took me 17:41 to do 2.5km last weekend because my legs were already dead after the rest of the fun but hey, I had a great time. :)

Good luck for your triathlon.