Still Own A Singlespeed?

Discussion in 'Singlespeed' started by egrocket, May 14, 2015.

1. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I sure do, and I am holding on to it for when my son gets to be old enough to ride it. We are not quite there yet, and he is still growing and I am thinking about one or two more years, but I will be super excited when I see that day and I already have my camera ready. I still get some use out of it personally, but not that much, but I am just glad that it will be going to a nice young man.

Jcycle likes this.

2. hades_leae

hades_leae Member

I never owned a big like that one, but all my bikes are BMX style, and obviously single speed. I can't do gears because I still find it confusing, and the bike is to big anyways.

I don't like being passed up by mountain bikers though, I remember riding down the street one day and this guy passed me, but he was peddling much slower than me.

I was so confused until I learned that bigger bikes means bigger wheels, which also means more distance covered in a shorter amount of time, even with the same pedaling speed as someone who is on a smaller bike.

3. Leo001

Leo001 New Member

Just an update: Been riding my single speed on a 17 mile loop, great training ride, fun winter bike (as long as the roads are clean and snow free), makes me work harder on the hills, but I think it will improve my fitness level overall.

4. zipp2001

zipp2001 Well-Known Member

I will tend to ride my single speed more in the winter when the roads are wet and dirty, because it's far quicker and easier to clean than the road bike.

5. RodneyOrlando

RodneyOrlando New Member

I still have my single speed, use it occasionally when I'm out on my own

6. Kakashi

Kakashi Active Member

I still got my old Haro BMX bike and it's still shiny with no rust at all. My kids ride it now but when no one's looking I still take it out for a spin nearby. For a long time I've used it, in running errands in nearby stores, I'm more comfortable using it then in short distances. Nowadays I seldom use it, my kids are the ones enjoying it.

7. Pion

Pion New Member

To reduce wear/easier maintenance/less costs, I started to ride a singlespeed 52/16, now about 7 years ago. 2.5 years ago, I also digged the remaining tech, the freewheel, because in winter it frooze and in heavy rain the springs suddenly failed to return the sticky pawls. (=end of riding, freewheel in both directions).
    Since, I ride a fixed gear, with an 'empty' (default luggage) weight of 25 kg. The 3 drive train components 1/8", extra heavy chain (550 grammes), extra thick sprocket teeth. I'm now riding 8 months, 15000 km with the same drivetrain components, and as it looks like, a whole year without replacement should be doable. The years with 4 chain, 2 rear cassettes, 1 chainring replacements, are long gone.
    Braking, that's just pushing back.
    Balancing, much easier, since you have support on both pedals instead of just the front spinning one.
    Only drawback: don't turn sharp corners, a pedal may strike the ground and you're thrown somewhere you didn't intend to be.