"Strange" object attached to downtube

V-Mook

Guest
Check out:

http://tinyurl.com/cd5pr

What is that cylindrical object attached to the downtube of Bobet's
bike?

I've seen these in other pix from the 1950's but have never found an
explanation of what they are.

TIA,

'mook

V-Mook wrote:
> Check out:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cd5pr
>
> What is that cylindrical object attached to the downtube of Bobet's
> bike?
>
> I've seen these in other pix from the 1950's but have never found an
> explanation of what they are.
>
> TIA,
>
> 'mook

Turbo?

V-Mook wrote:

> Check out:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cd5pr
>
> What is that cylindrical object attached to the downtube of Bobet's
> bike?
>
> I've seen these in other pix from the 1950's but have never found an
> explanation of what they are.
>
> TIA,
>
> 'mook

I asked this same question two years ago and started a long thread.
It's a "gonfleur", a tire inflator, but not a pump, and not CO2. Lots
of other interesting conjecture though. Here's the archive link.
http://tinyurl.com/8bc8b

--
My bike blog:
http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

V-Mook wrote:
> Check out:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cd5pr
>
> What is that cylindrical object attached to the downtube of Bobet's
> bike?
>
> I've seen these in other pix from the 1950's but have never found an
> explanation of what they are.
>
> TIA,
>
> 'mook

Are those handlebar bottle holders still readily available?

--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:07:31 -0400, Paul Hobson wrote:

> Are those handlebar bottle holders still readily available?

Ha--that's always what I want to know when I see those old photos!

:D

maxo wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:07:31 -0400, Paul Hobson wrote:
>

>>Are those handlebar bottle holders still readily available?

> Ha--that's always what I want to know when I see those old photos!
>
> :D

I seriously want one for my Peugeot fixie!

ps maxo: can I email you some SS questions?
--

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 03:38:50 +0000, maxo wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:07:31 -0400, Paul Hobson wrote:
>

>> Are those handlebar bottle holders still readily available?

> Ha--that's always what I want to know when I see those old photos!

Me, I want to know where to get jerseys with front pockets like they have.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember
_`\(,_ | that your initial objective was to drain the swamp. -- LBJ
(_)/ (_) |

maxo wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:07:31 -0400, Paul Hobson wrote:
>

>>Are those handlebar bottle holders still readily available?

> Ha--that's always what I want to know when I see those old photos!
>
> :D

Also, tell me this isn't the coolest thing ever:

http://disaster.nu/surloid2.jpg

--

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 00:11:59 -0400, David L. Johnson wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 03:38:50 +0000, maxo wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:07:31 -0400, Paul Hobson wrote:
>>

>>> Are those handlebar bottle holders still readily available?

>> Ha--that's always what I want to know when I see those old photos!

> Me, I want to know where to get jerseys with front pockets like they have.

Sure they aren't vents?

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 00:09:09 -0400, Paul Hobson wrote:

> ps maxo: can I email you some SS questions?

Sure, but I'm no expert--just ride one a lot--and a freewheeled one at
that.

Might want to post to the group, but feel free to email if you can figure
out the "cryptic" domain. :p

Tue, 09 Aug 2005 00:09:09 -0400, <[email protected]>,
Paul Hobson <[email protected]> wrote:

>> On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:07:31 -0400, Paul Hobson wrote:
>>

>>>Are those handlebar bottle holders still readily available?

>> Ha--that's always what I want to know when I see those old photos!

Not like those but there is the Minoura line of bottle holders for
mounting on handlebars.
Single: BH-60
Dual: BH-2B

http://www.minoura.jp/acc-e.html
--
zk

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 04:25:42 +0000, maxo wrote:

>> Me, I want to know where to get jerseys with front pockets like they have.

> Sure they aren't vents?

Quite. I used to have such jerseys. Two front pockets, with buttons.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Let's not escape into mathematics. Let's stay with reality. --
_`\(,_ | Michael Crichton
(_)/ (_) |

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 09:03:44 -0400, "David L. Johnson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 04:25:42 +0000, maxo wrote:
>
>>> Me, I want to know where to get jerseys with front pockets like they have.

>> Sure they aren't vents?

>Quite. I used to have such jerseys. Two front pockets, with buttons.

That way you can carry two packs of smokes on the longer rides. The
buttons keep the packs from falling out.

Wow, where can I find someone to crochet me a bike jersey?

Paul

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 21:40:19 +0000, Paul wrote:

> Wow, where can I find someone to crochet me a bike jersey?
>
> Paul

Damn hippie.

Why don't you knit a whole bike out of steel wool instead?

:p ;)

"V-Mook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> What is that cylindrical object attached to the downtube of Bobet's
> bike?

For a brief time, Schwinn Varsity models such as the one pictured came with
an optional pipe-bomb cage.

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 21:08:37 -0500, "Bob the Cow" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"V-Mook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>

>> What is that cylindrical object attached to the downtube of Bobet's
>> bike?

>For a brief time, Schwinn Varsity models such as the one pictured came with
>an optional pipe-bomb cage.

Yes, but that was only for the Irish models.

Paul