"Strange" object attached to downtube

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by V-Mook, Aug 8, 2005.

  1. V-Mook

    V-Mook Guest

    Check out:

    http://tinyurl.com/cd5pr

    What is that cylindrical object attached to the downtube of Bobet's
    bike?

    I've seen these in other pix from the 1950's but have never found an
    explanation of what they are.

    TIA,

    'mook

    Tags:

  2. traditionally, that's a coke holder.

  3. catzz66

    catzz66 Guest

    V-Mook wrote:
    > Check out:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/cd5pr
    >
    > What is that cylindrical object attached to the downtube of Bobet's
    > bike?
    >
    > I've seen these in other pix from the 1950's but have never found an
    > explanation of what they are.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > 'mook

    Turbo?

  4. Hank Wirtz

    Hank Wirtz Guest

    "V-Mook" <velomook@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Check out:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/cd5pr
    >
    > What is that cylindrical object attached to the downtube of Bobet's
    > bike?

    Looks like a waterbottle to me....

    (ducks)

  5. Diablo Scott

    Diablo Scott Guest

    V-Mook wrote:

    > Check out:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/cd5pr
    >
    > What is that cylindrical object attached to the downtube of Bobet's
    > bike?
    >
    > I've seen these in other pix from the 1950's but have never found an
    > explanation of what they are.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > 'mook

    I asked this same question two years ago and started a long thread.
    It's a "gonfleur", a tire inflator, but not a pump, and not CO2. Lots
    of other interesting conjecture though. Here's the archive link.
    http://tinyurl.com/8bc8b

    --
    My bike blog:
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

  6. Paul Hobson

    Paul Hobson Guest

    V-Mook wrote:
    > Check out:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/cd5pr
    >
    > What is that cylindrical object attached to the downtube of Bobet's
    > bike?
    >
    > I've seen these in other pix from the 1950's but have never found an
    > explanation of what they are.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > 'mook

    Are those handlebar bottle holders still readily available?

    --
    Paul M. Hobson
    Georgia Institute of Technology

  7. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:07:31 -0400, Paul Hobson wrote:

    > Are those handlebar bottle holders still readily available?

    Ha--that's always what I want to know when I see those old photos!

    :D

  8. Paul Hobson

    Paul Hobson Guest

    maxo wrote:
    > On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:07:31 -0400, Paul Hobson wrote:
    >

    >>Are those handlebar bottle holders still readily available?

    > Ha--that's always what I want to know when I see those old photos!
    >
    > :D

    I seriously want one for my Peugeot fixie!

    ps maxo: can I email you some SS questions?
    --

  9. On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 03:38:50 +0000, maxo wrote:

    > On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:07:31 -0400, Paul Hobson wrote:
    >

    >> Are those handlebar bottle holders still readily available?

    > Ha--that's always what I want to know when I see those old photos!

    Me, I want to know where to get jerseys with front pockets like they have.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember
    _`\(,_ | that your initial objective was to drain the swamp. -- LBJ
    (_)/ (_) |

  10. Paul Hobson

    Paul Hobson Guest

    maxo wrote:
    > On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:07:31 -0400, Paul Hobson wrote:
    >

    >>Are those handlebar bottle holders still readily available?

    > Ha--that's always what I want to know when I see those old photos!
    >
    > :D

    Also, tell me this isn't the coolest thing ever:

    http://disaster.nu/surloid2.jpg

    --
    Paul M. Hobson
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    http://www.underthecouch.org
    ..:you may want to fix my email
    address before you send anything:.

  11. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 00:11:59 -0400, David L. Johnson wrote:

    > On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 03:38:50 +0000, maxo wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:07:31 -0400, Paul Hobson wrote:
    >>

    >>> Are those handlebar bottle holders still readily available?

    >> Ha--that's always what I want to know when I see those old photos!

    > Me, I want to know where to get jerseys with front pockets like they have.

    Sure they aren't vents?

  12. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 00:09:09 -0400, Paul Hobson wrote:

    > ps maxo: can I email you some SS questions?

    Sure, but I'm no expert--just ride one a lot--and a freewheeled one at
    that.

    Might want to post to the group, but feel free to email if you can figure
    out the "cryptic" domain. :p

  13. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Tue, 09 Aug 2005 00:09:09 -0400, <dd9aab$9gq$2@news-int2.gatech.edu>,
    Paul Hobson <gtg611a@mail.gatech.edu> wrote:

    >> On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:07:31 -0400, Paul Hobson wrote:
    >>

    >>>Are those handlebar bottle holders still readily available?

    >> Ha--that's always what I want to know when I see those old photos!

    Not like those but there is the Minoura line of bottle holders for
    mounting on handlebars.
    Single: BH-60
    Dual: BH-2B

    http://www.minoura.jp/acc-e.html
    --
    zk

  14. On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 04:25:42 +0000, maxo wrote:

    >> Me, I want to know where to get jerseys with front pockets like they have.

    > Sure they aren't vents?

    Quite. I used to have such jerseys. Two front pockets, with buttons.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Let's not escape into mathematics. Let's stay with reality. --
    _`\(,_ | Michael Crichton
    (_)/ (_) |

  15. Fritz

    Fritz Guest

    On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 09:03:44 -0400, "David L. Johnson"
    <david.johnson@ptd.net> wrote:

    >On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 04:25:42 +0000, maxo wrote:
    >
    >>> Me, I want to know where to get jerseys with front pockets like they have.

    >> Sure they aren't vents?

    >Quite. I used to have such jerseys. Two front pockets, with buttons.

    That way you can carry two packs of smokes on the longer rides. The
    buttons keep the packs from falling out.

  16. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Wow, where can I find someone to crochet me a bike jersey?

    Paul

    On 8 Aug 2005 16:00:57 -0700, "V-Mook" <velomook@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Check out:
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/cd5pr
    >
    >What is that cylindrical object attached to the downtube of Bobet's
    >bike?
    >
    >I've seen these in other pix from the 1950's but have never found an
    >explanation of what they are.
    >
    >TIA,
    >
    >'mook

  17. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 21:40:19 +0000, Paul wrote:

    > Wow, where can I find someone to crochet me a bike jersey?
    >
    > Paul

    Damn hippie.

    Why don't you knit a whole bike out of steel wool instead?

    :p ;)

  18. Bob the Cow

    Bob the Cow Guest

    "V-Mook" <velomook@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > What is that cylindrical object attached to the downtube of Bobet's
    > bike?

    For a brief time, Schwinn Varsity models such as the one pictured came with
    an optional pipe-bomb cage.

  19. Paul

    Paul Guest

    On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 21:08:37 -0500, "Bob the Cow" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote:

    >"V-Mook" <velomook@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >

    >> What is that cylindrical object attached to the downtube of Bobet's
    >> bike?

    >For a brief time, Schwinn Varsity models such as the one pictured came with
    >an optional pipe-bomb cage.

    Yes, but that was only for the Irish models.

    Paul

Share This Page