Street track bikes?

nhod

Jun 11, 2014
Hello,

I'm new to cycling. I come from a position of very little
knowledge about bikes. I'm thinking about buying a road bike.

I see a lot of photos online of these velodrome/track-ish
street bikes if you will. I can't tell if they're a toned down
velodrome bike thats been adapted for the street, or a
full on track racing bike that some people choose
to also ride on the street. I'm very drawn to these
bikes for their simplicity and overall aesthetic.

Are people that ride these kind of bikes around on the
street generally not people who do track racing?
I guess I'm asking someone to explain this street
track bike category to me.

Im trying to figure out if this is a type of bike id want to
buy to ride around casually on the road, or if i'd just
look silly.

Thanks,

-N

1 picture = 1000 words.
big-smile.png

(Gears on a bike are a good idea.)
big-smile.png

Volnix,

Thanks for your input. Thats definitely not me.

I'm not dead set on fixed geared, i just like
the way these bikes look. As a designer,
i'm probably looking at bikes through a
different lens. I just want something practical
enough and looks aesthetically pleasing.
Perhaps there is a bike thats somewhere
between a road bike and a track bike?
What about a hub gear?

Again, i don't know **** about about bikes.

-N

I see...

I like "Breitlings" logo, (a company that makes watches).

"A beautiful airplane is an airplane that flies well".

Basically, I am not saying of making a franken-bike that looks hideous just because it provides some better performance, but the "beauty" on a bike is probably just the quality of craftmanship and maybe the paint.

If you think that a fixed gear bike is "pretty" you can pick one up and put it in your living room. You dont have to actually use it.

-Fixed gear bikes are impossible to provide with a "healthy" cadence of 85 to 95 rpm if there is even some sloping on the roads you will be using them. If you are commuting on a totally flat road you can pick one up with the correct front and rear sprockets and use them. (eg a velodrome). Even then they will be hard to start from 0 speed.

Less RPM with more strength damages your knees. More RPM is exhausting for no reason.

As far as the hub gear bikes, I had one and sold it.

It was really easy to maintain, as it would not require the gear cassette to be cleaned. You would only need to clean the chain and lube. It was also very practical in emergency stops as you could switch to the first gear without pedaling. But:

- The range of gears was insufficient for either high speeds, touring or climbs.
- It was mad heavy.
- The Hub is almost impossible to fix on your own once something goes wrong. (The sprocket fell off from mine and the shop sent it back to the factory and I got new hub. NOT EVEN THE FACTORY COULD FIX IT. Plus they are quite costly. A 7 speed hub like the one I had costs about 160 euro.

I kinda don't like "pretty and sweet" bikes that have absolutely no performance-oriented design. Examples would be, fixed gear in bright colors, folding bikes, multiple curved main triangle tubed cruisers, harley-bikes etc. They are a "fashion" item and a bike is not "fashion" is a machine. As said before making it "pretty" is probably done best by the quality of craftmanship and the choice of materials.

But then again, I don't go to "Bike Carnivals" etc where these bikes could maybe provide some entertainment.

If you check some older road bikes you can also see some decorated welds etc.

Is there a specific reason you find the deraileur - cassette assembly ugly?

What's a "pretty" bike in your opinion?

Originally Posted by nhod
Hello,

I'm new to cycling. I come from a position of very little
knowledge about bikes. I'm thinking about buying a road bike.

I see a lot of photos online of these velodrome/track-ish
street bikes if you will. I can't tell if they're a toned down
velodrome bike thats been adapted for the street, or a
full on track racing bike that some people choose
to also ride on the street. I'm very drawn to these
bikes for their simplicity and overall aesthetic.

Are people that ride these kind of bikes around on the
street generally not people who do track racing?
I guess I'm asking someone to explain this street
track bike category to me.

Im trying to figure out if this is a type of bike id want to
buy to ride around casually on the road, or if i'd just
look silly.

Thanks,

-N
While almost any bike is more efficient than walking, YOU need to decide how far & fast you want to cover any given distance ...

FYI. A "real" Track bike will NOT have water bottle cage bosses/mounts ...

Otherwise, any bike can be turned into a Single Speed -- Coaster brake, Freewheel, Fixie ...

Here is one of my old 10-speed bikes which is (for the moment) a Single Speed, but which will be rebuilt with derailleurs/shifters after I finish some other projects ...

The Raleigh just needs an inner chainring + derailleurs/shifters/cables-and-housing + a different rear wheel + a longer chain to return it to a "Road" bike.

Here is a Single Speed whose frame was modeled after a Track bike frame. I would say that the main design feature of a "Track" frame is that it will have a 74º head tube angle.

YOU need to choose the gearing which works for YOU for where YOU will be riding ...

• If you need multiple gears for the terrain you will be riding on, then a Single Speed is probably not the type of bike you will want.

I really need to change the way I ride because lately I haven't necessarily been taking long bike rides like I used to. I need to get more involved and try to get myself some new bikes. I definitely need a street bike that would be nice because I haven't even tried one yet.

Wow, I like these bikes also. I think they are quite stylish compared to some of the bikes out there. I have mostly been doing a lot of track riding, since I came out of the gym, and I do not do a lot of street riding. I think I would but number one it is over 100 degrees where I live on most days during these three months of summer, and number two there are a lot of hills around where I live. I hate it.

Over 100 degrees? I WISH for that when I have my track bike on the road. Yeah, that's snow in the air and probabaly about 25°-30°. I usually only ride 15 to 20 miles at a time on the track bike for Winter training and it beats the Hell out of rollers or the fluid trainer.

002-5.jpg

No brakes, other than pedal back pressure or emergency skid stops, makes planning ahead a prerequisite. The short, stiff frame means you'll harden the **** up or fuggeddabbouddit. Only two hand positions means you'll be riding hard...a lot.

The water bottle goes in the jersey center pocket.