Student research on cycling safety accessories

Harriet Eastham

Nov 13, 2016
Hello everyone,

I'm currently undertaking my MSc in Sports Digital and Media Technologies at Loughborough University London. I'm an avid cyclist and have been given the topic of bicycle lights and the target markets that they could have an impact in. It would be very much appreciated if you could take the time to fill out this survey, the questions should take you no more than 5 minutes. If you could share it round as well then I would be very happy!

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/YGVCVVJ

This survey is not officially from Blaze Bicycles. However, it is in conjunction with the company and the results of the survey will be used in a student project in order to consult with the brand as to which countries they should be targeting and expanding to.

Many thanks,
Harriet Eastham

A light that would last 10 years - what technology are you looking to use to power that? Rechargeable batteries are hugely unlikely to work that long.
Lights powered by spoke magnets aren't strong enough to ride by. Dynohubs - well, then you need one of that. Bottle dynamos aren't that efficient.
Also, diodes are still getting better. I'm not sure I'd want to pay for 10 year quality if light source development means it'd make sense to replace the lights after - say - 3 years.

The battery thing is the issue, if used nearly daily the new Nimhs don't last as long as the old NiCads, I routinely got 10 to 15 years out of NiCads but the new stuff last about 3 years.