Suggestions For Quality Bicycle Magazines

BobCochran

May 3, 2015
What are the better quality bicycle magazines out there? I wonder if there are higher-quality alternative magazines -- alternatives to Bicycling, I mean. What do you folks read?

Thanks a ton

Bob

It depends what you're looking for, but I like Mountain Bike Action. The friends who got me into cycling used to have tons of back copies and I always found them interesting to peruse :)

You mean actual <shudder> hard-copy? Ugh! Sorry, I avoid printed magazines like the plague. I find digital reference to be suitable enough. I don't have any suggestions for you.

I'm definitely looking for print alternatives to Bicycling magazine.

Thanks a ton

Bob

Sorry. I went digital in 1989.

Velo News is good if you're into race results/reports. Way behind da intarwebz, mind you.

I do recommend that you commit the Campagnolo print catalog and technical papers to memory.

Reactions: BobCochran
My friends dad he reads a magazine called "Bike" I think it is. I had a look through it the other day and from what I looked at it seems a pretty good magazine with good reviews on stuff.

Personally I've never picked up a cycling magazine though.

jhuskey said:
Bicycling is about 80% ads. They should give it away for free.

Agree! That is why I gave up on the magazines. I used to love the mechanic tips they offered but nowadays it's so easy to go on a forum getting much more info than an article can offer!

Yes, Bicycling (the magazine) is a massive disappointment. It consists of 90-95% advertising, based on the print issues I have been getting. I have a renewal notice and no plans to renew given the low quality of the magazine. They don't have a single impartial, unbiased product review in the magazine. I suspect they are well paid to write the "reviews" and "tests". Hence they do not say one single bad thing about any product at all.

There aren't even any mechanic tips. Not in Bicycling magazine, anyhow.

My local bike shop has an array of different print magazines, some from Adventure Cycling, some focused on mountain bikes, and at least one that seems to discuss road cycles. I'll go there over the weekend, flop in front of the fireplace, and give the magazines a looking over.

Thanks a ton!

Bob

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
@Susimi, I checked the Bike magazine website. It is full of advertisements, and the subscription prices seem to suggest the print edition will be full of ads, too. I will see if my local bicycle shop has an issue or two of Bike. It does appear to be mountain bike oriented.

I have certain doubts that I can contort my body and gear in the way those young men in the promotional videos do. I mean, doing a complete somersault of both the person and the bicycle while airborne, and with a perfect landing on the dirt like it was nothing unusual?

Thanks a ton

Bob

Bicycle magazines have really gone down in quality over the years. I used to read Bike magazine but it's overpriced in my country and I can get better information on the internet. There's a local magazine which is very similar to Bike but unfortunately it's filled with ads and it's been getting thinner lately. That's a good sign that it will probably be taken off the shelves soon and there will probably be only a digital version of the mag available.

@ Damien Lee, yes, I tend to agree. I might go to my local bicycle shop today after my eyes un-dilate, just to look over their magazines and get impressions. Print media is important to me. Plus they are having a Columbus Day sale.

Bob

Quote by JH:
"Bicycling is about 80% ads. They should give it away for free pay you to receive it."

Quote by BC:
"Print media is important to me."

Same here. Pictures of the positions of the pro's on their bikes in profile shots were especially important for me to study in refining my own setup.

Still, everything that's available in print is online...and more. Thusly, why we have high speed, high-resolution color printers for the important stuff.

The fixed or detachable thing that holds the ammunition of a firearm.

Then, there was that thing published in the Stone Age that had some words and pictures in it.

Reactions: MALAKASGuY