Sunscreen

I'm embarrassed to admit this, and it's definitely a case of don't try this at home, kids, but I've never used sunscreen. I don't burn. Those Mediterranean genes.

I know. Skin cancer. I'm stupid. What can I say?

I recommend using clothing to cover as much of your body as you reasonably can. I have found that a tightly woven silk shirt is a far better than the best sunscreen, it's like, pretty much 100% protection for as long as you want to be out there. I have never shown any signs of sun exposure through it.

For your hands, neck, face, any skin you are not going to cover with clothing, I would recommend Alba Botanica Sport. It's a more natural sunscreen that doesn't have the really bad ingredients. I don't like to use the more mainstream ones because I'd rather not have that just getting into my body. From my experience, the SPF 40 is great protection. I suggest sport because it is thicker and more sweat resistant than the lighter ones that are meant use when you are not sweating a lot. You still need to reapply after a while though.

I've only been sunburned twice in the last 18 years. Once was after a long day of surfing in Thailand. The other was a NASCAR race. I don't use sunscreen. I'd like to daunts my French Canadian genes but i don't think that's it.

I try to use anything above 50, because it doesn't take much for me to burn. I was sitting outside having coffee yesterday (it was 75 F outside) and after 15 minutes or so my skin was starting to turn pink. There's no inbetween tan for me, it's either pale or burnt!

I typically try to use at least an SPF 50. But for the past few months, I've been using Neutrogena's SPF 30 oil-free moisturizer. It is not greasy, has no weird whitish blue-ish tint and just feels like a moisturizer. It's easy to apply and I wear it under my makeup.

Everybody burns. Even if they think they don't because of their skin tone. Not as noticeable & hard to spot isn't the same as not at all. I would also add that a tan is a burn. It poses the same cancer risks and it is very unhealthy for the skin.

SPF isn't always the most important aspect in picking a sunscreen. There are multiple types of UV rays that can damage the skin.
Here you will find some more info: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/08/what-spf-does-and-doesnt-tell-you-about-your-sunscreen/261180/

Natural Homemade Sunscreen
Ingredients

Method
Combine all ingredients except zinc oxide in a pint-size or larger glass jar.
Fill a medium saucepan about 1/3 of the way with water and place over medium heat.
Stir occasionally to incorporate ingredients.
When all ingredients are completely melted, add the zinc oxide, stir in well. Pour into the jar, tube or tin you will use for storage. I like to use these squeeze tubes or these 4 oz glass jars.
Shake or stir a few times as it cools to make sure zinc oxide is mixed in well.

I usually use banana boat 60-85 SPF sunscreen during long rides out in the sun burning road. I like it because its water proof so your sweat won't rub off the protection. Very durable and easy to out on as well. Go for a swim after a long bike ride or something he he.

I usually use banana boat 60-85 SPF sunscreen during long rides out in the sun burning road. I like it because its water proof so your sweat won't rub off the protection. Very durable and easy to out on as well. Go for a swim after a long bike ride or something he he.

momof4blessingz said:
Natural Homemade Sunscreen
Ingredients

Method
Combine all ingredients except zinc oxide in a pint-size or larger glass jar.
Fill a medium saucepan about 1/3 of the way with water and place over medium heat.
Stir occasionally to incorporate ingredients.
When all ingredients are completely melted, add the zinc oxide, stir in well. Pour into the jar, tube or tin you will use for storage. I like to use these squeeze tubes or these 4 oz glass jars.
Shake or stir a few times as it cools to make sure zinc oxide is mixed in well.
This is a very interesting and useful post. I have never seen the SPF of individual oils before. I like using coconut oil for different skin care, so if I just combined it with zinc oxide I would have a sunscreen of SPF20+ I think I will try that. I don't know about the other oils or where to get them. Thank you for this information.

I haven't really bothered with sunscreen until the last few years. Nothing happened for me to make the change, I just wanted to be able to be out and around without the risk of burning or worrying about burning.

Anyway, I use a medium spf range one that sprays on and it seems to work for me. I am pretty pale and was worried the medium would not be enough but it seems to do the job for me.

I don't use sunscreen because when I use to live in the Mojave Desert area of California I found that sunscreen made me feel hotter...HOWEVER if I was more fair skinned I would have used sunscreen but since I'm not I don't burn easily I don't bother. I do use sunscreen however if I'm going to be sitting in the sun for hours like fishing where the combined effects of direct and reflecting sunlight off the water will fry you fast, on a bike though I'm constantly changing directions so the sun is constantly moving and not hitting the same area for hours on end thus the risk of burning is a lot less.

I also prefer to use clothing to protect me from the sun. I mean I always wear pants and a hat anyways, so added a long sleeve jersey isn't too oppressive.

Honestly, I just pick up the highest SPF sunscreen I see at the store. Maybe that's not the best way to go about doing things, but it works. If there's one thing I HATE, it's sun burns.

I never really use sunscreen because I like to have those tan marks in my arms and legs. But, I think I should use one because of the worsening UV radiation of the atmosphere. I may consider using sunscreen next time I join a long distance group ride. I would consider the recommendations in this thread next time.

50 and above is the best type to use. I use Neutrogena.

Even if your skin doesn't burn easy, it's always better to wear sunscreen so you don't have to risk future health complications.

I cover my body with protective clothing but there are areas that are not protected like the nape. This is the reason why I mostly go out during the night when the sun is down. I do not want to put chemicals on my body or anything that has been processed.