sunscreen

geauxdallas

Aug 4, 2003
I am fair skinned and would like to know a good suncreen for riding.

Obviously I'd like something that works even when I sweat a good bit, won't sting my eyes when I do and has a decent SPF.

Any suggestions or testimonials?

I think my basic Coppertone isn't as good as it should be. It may even make me sweat more than I should.

Thanks for any input. It's hot here in Texas.

Most any 15-20 SPF works fine on the arms and legs, but have had a lot of problems keeping sunscreen on the face. Currently have a tube of Sea&Ski 50 SPF, with zinc oxide which seems to stay on the face well. I never put it on above the eyes, only on the cheekbones, across to the ears and back of the neck.

A headsweat works well to keep the sweat out of the eyes.

Used to ride often without sunscreen, but find I'm much cooler at the end of a hot ride without the sunburn.

Yes im fair skinned too.........and i wear a ton of sunscreen

1. Wear a head band to keep the sweat from dripping down your face.--if you dont want to do that.......i have tried wiping vaseline along my eyebrows --all along that area..so when i sweat it doesnt drip straight down it drips off along the hariline....and not into my eyes......

2. not all sunscreens are equal........most of them are useless

3. I use the Neutrogena with Parsol 1789 in it......its a fast drying one.....spf 45

4. so always look for parsol 1789 thats the key ingredient that blocks the uva/uvb rays-- coppertone has the "shade" sunscreen line that has parsol 1789

5. always use the strongest spf out there.......trust me you can still get a tan through all of that...... speccially if you are going out for over an hour......

6. make sure to apply your first layer of suncsreen about 30-45 min BEFORE you ride.....let it dry and then add a second coat...let it dry about 20 min before you ride.......make sure you get your ears and your neckline...... upper chest.......whatever is exposed...

7. you can also use sunscreens that contain zinc or titanium dioxide.....but they are "white"...... if i use those i typicall wear a tintted sunscren over it to get rid of the white.....

8. another option is to get a really good suncsreen "stick"..neutorgena makes one......use that around the eyes.....

9..its just not about the sun........you dont want to look wrinkly either

Good points wendyedie. I train with a woman who was recently saying how the Parsol 1789 products work best for her also. I haven't tried any of them yet though.

This stuff didn't seem too important to me when I was younger, but it is now. Many years ago I used to get sunburned out sailing, and hope I don't suffer later for it. Another fair-skinned riding buddy of mine is going back to his dermatologist next week to have more spots taken off his face.....certainly something to avoid if possible.

Dear geauxdallas
As a licensed Esthetician and cyclist I recommend a Natural Mineral sunscreen Like Jane Iredale. It contains both Zinc Oxide and titanium dioxide Broad Spectrum sun protection with a SPF of 20. go to there website to find a dealer in your area.
www.janeiredale.com. Her Amazing base is also water resistance up to 90 minutes.