Suspension fork to rigid. Opinions.

1id10t

Apr 11, 2005
I'm thinking of changing my fork from suspension to rigid (been feeling a bit retro lately) and was wondering whether others have made the same switch and what their thoughts were. I'm looking at something like the Surly 1x1, Salsa CroMoto or one from DMR. Does anyone have any thoughts on any of these or others they've tried.
Yes, I'll probably need to get myself a good chiropracter after making the switch but I won't be getting rid of my current fork (not so hot Rock Shox J2); I'll keep it for when I'm not feeling so retro.
I don't do big drops or anything too extreme; just happy to ride a trail with some technical sections. Any opinions or experiences on going back to rigid are welcome.

I put a Kinesis aluminum fork on my Klein mtn. bike and I'm very happy with it. I just don't spend much riding time in places where I really need a shock and not having one makes me ride more conservatively.

Just make sure the length is correct.

I suposse the rigid fork you are getting is cheaper
than a decent sus fork with lock out.
I have a manitou black with lock out and it works well.
Maybe sell the Judy and get a Lock out so you can enjoy the sus when you need it without getting into the workshop.