Thank You Memphis Unicycle Club

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by bugman, Apr 4, 2004.

  1. bugman

    bugman Guest

    I just wanted to take a moment and thank Tommy(Super Human) Thompson and
    everyone else at MUC for a great weekend. Keith, Reid and I traveled to
    Memphis for the Wolfman Duathalon. I rode more this weekend than any
    other 10 days since I started unicycling. I had a great time. I would
    like to thank Tommy and his gracious wife Rody for being such wonderful
    hosts.

    Saturday, Keith and I got to ride with Tommy, Tom and Charles to get a
    feel for the trail. I held up the group, but Tommy doubled back, took
    side trails, rode off across the meadows to make sure I wasn't left
    behind. I think Tommy may be an allien! I have never seen so much
    energy in one person!

    After the ride we went back to Tommy's and rode our trials uni's for
    another 4 hours. Probably not the best idea since we had a race the
    next morning. What can I say, we were having fun.
    :D Tommy came out and hopped up and down stairs like he was walking up
    and down them, basically took Keith and I to school. Now I understand
    MemphisMud saying he is a student of Grandmaster 2T.

    Around 6:30-7:00 others from the club showed up at Tommy and Rody's for
    some BBQ. Great food, great company. I really enjoyed meeting everyone
    and seeing so many kids excited about riding. They were like bees
    buzzing around. We watched the new MUC promotional video, that was very
    nicely done. When the club sets up their tent it will be a great tool.
    I hope that someday we can have a club as "together" as Tommy's here in
    Atlanta.

    This morning we awoke on time in-spite of the time moving forward an
    hour. Keith, Reid and I headed to the race. Keith and I were
    determined not to run the 3.2 and 1 mile run that surrounded the the 6
    1/2 mile ride. Keith hit the jackpot and got a local named Jeff Skinner
    to run for him. I had a little more trouble finding a runner.
    Undaunted, I asked the race promoter if I could use the same runner. He
    said sure. So Jeff ran the first 3 miles for both of us at the same
    time, than tagged us as he came in. This actually gave us a head start
    on Tommy before he could change at the transition. That didn't last
    long though. Keith was on a SH 29" and I was on a KH24. We left the
    gates together but after we hit the flats and a long downhill I never
    saw him again. Keith finished the ride in 1 hour 11 minutes. I
    finished about 10 minutes later, after laying in the middle of the last
    hill with extreme leg cramps. When I got in my "Keiths" runner had
    already gotten back from the last mile for Keith, tagged me and set off
    for another mile for me! For his trouble he got 2 very cool race shirts
    N/C and medaled with 2 relay groups.

    Reid on the other hand was an all out trooper and ran the whole thing,
    and did the uni on his 24" Schwinn with brand spanking new hookworm
    tire. (Interesting story behind origin of said Uni)

    Now here is the best part, Tommy finished the entire race in an hour
    and 11 minutes. He even finished before 5 bikers.(keep in mind we were
    held back 10 minutes from the bikers).

    I had a great time, and can't wait until I recover so I can get back out
    there an train for the next event. I am going to ride a lot more miles
    before I do this again.

    Another good part is they had awards for the 2 groups of unicyclists.
    Relay teams and Solo. We were so good, all of us medaled!:D Officialy I
    came in third in the relay teams. Way I figure it I came in first in my
    category since I was the only one in my group that had a 24" Keith
    finished first in his realy group with the 29" and I believe it was Greg
    and his son who finished first overall(Relay), and first in the 26"
    group.;) Actually the medal was cool, but the experience was the best
    part.

    Again Thanks to Tommy and all the great people at MUC that showed us
    such a good time. Made the 6+ hour drive each way worth while.

    ***Reid next time we have to carpool. That is not a drive to make
    alone.

    --
    bugman - Professional Assasin

    forget_your_life wrote:
    > *dude i like your video's and think that your most likely a cool guy
    > in person but why do you have to be such a jack-ass online? *

  2. bugman

    bugman Guest

    I guess everyone else who attended is nursing their wounds.:p

    I actually feel pretty good today. My knees, which were sore yesterday
    morning feel great, and my legs are only slightly sore. I was expecting
    this to be Advil Week. I do have a couple of bruises that are tender
    from catching the seat of Chirokid's(Keith)
    29'er as I UPDed. Other than that I am feeling good.

    --
    bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

  3. Memphis Mud

    Memphis Mud Guest

    bugman wrote:
    > *I guess everyone else who attended is nursing their wounds.:p *

    I made such an "old man noise" getting out of a chair yesterday that two
    of my family poked their worried heads in the room to check on me.

    Thanks to Kieth, Chad, and Reid for making that trek. I know that's a
    lot of driving. Eight MUniers crashing a Mountain Bike Race must set
    some kind of record. And you did take home medals!!! Its too bad I could
    not spend more of Saturday playing. (Kid's big competition). We look
    forward to coming your way...MUni season 2004 is just beginning!

    Very Special thanks to Tommy and Rody for making our guests so welcomed
    and comfortable.

    > *Now I understand MemphisMud saying he is a student of Grandmaster
    > 2T.*

    I cannot snatch the pebble. I am not worthy.

    --
    Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

    Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...

    "do not think, just ride"...muniracer
    Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

  4. Tom Holub

    Tom Holub Guest

    In article <Memphis.Mud.148vi2@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com>,
    Memphis Mud <Memphis.Mud@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:
    )
    )bugman wrote:
    )> *I guess everyone else who attended is nursing their wounds.:p *
    )
    )I made such an "old man noise" getting out of a chair yesterday that two
    )of my family poked their worried heads in the room to check on me.

    No old man noises!
    Try "oh YEAH!" instead.

    )Thanks to Kieth, Chad, and Reid for making that trek. I know that's a
    )lot of driving. Eight MUniers crashing a Mountain Bike Race must set
    )some kind of record.

    We had 12 at last year's 24 Hours of Adrenaline in Laguna Seca.
    -Tom

  5. Memphis Mud

    Memphis Mud Guest

    Tom Holub wrote:
    > *We had 12 at last year's 24 Hours of Adrenaline in Laguna Seca.
    > -Tom
    > *

    As the dude who died by poison in "Princess Bride" said,
    "Incontheeevable!" Thats a huge accomplishment.
    I rode in last year's Wolfpack Triathlon (on this same trail) as the
    lonely Unicyclist. I can tell you it is 1000 times more enjoyable with a
    sizeable "wobble" of Muniers than as a soloist.

    Again let me thank all the MUCsters who put it all out there even tho
    most have never raced before. And double saaaaaluuuutes to the honorary
    MUCsters Keith, Chad, and Reid who traveled in for the event.

    And we had quite a supply of non-racing MUCsters who added to the buzz.
    Taking pictures, riding around, keeping it light. In fact, several of
    our kids greeted each of our racers in the transition area and escorted
    us through. My transition from rider to runner was a gracefull, seamless
    work of choreography as I pealed off wristguards and handed them to one
    MUCkid...camelback slid to another...and as I came off my 29er in a
    fast run, my machine was smoothly recieved by Lovliest Wife and off I
    went.

    And you should see Tommy's display. Tent, logo-ed trailer, Pictures. Its
    quite impressive and legitimate. I hope somebody took a photo of the
    setup.

    If you're interested, check out 'Pictures of the Wolfman Duathlon'
    (http://www.baldwinphoto.net/pages/5/index.htm) .
    You'll find Uniers on pages 1, 4, 8, 16, 17, 18

    --
    Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

    Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...

    "do not think, just ride"...muniracer
    Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

  6. bugman

    bugman Guest

    Looks like he uploaded all the pictures he took of me. I saw him
    snapping them off at a rapid pace as I road by. I think they came out
    pretty good. I'll probably order some. I can't look at them very well
    here at work. I will look again later at home.

    --
    bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

  7. Tmornstar

    Tmornstar Guest

    Man-O-Man! I had a total BLAST last weekend!!
    It was such a great time to share the weekend with so many great
    people.

    Bugman, thanks for your kind words. (Did I pay you enough to say all of
    that?)

    It was an awesome weekend! I strongly encourage anyone who is
    considering throwing a uni-gathering to DO IT! Everybody enjoyed
    getting together and playing and learning together – EVERYBODY!

    Special thanks go to “Bugman”, “Chirokid”, and Reid for making the 7
    hour drive from points east to visit us here in the Delta. (See you guys
    in Atlanta on the 23rd!) and Wolf “Wolfman” Townsend for opening the
    Wolfman Duathlon to unicycles. It was so great to look in Memphis’
    local morning paper and see the results of the duathlon and see
    “Unicycle Division!”

    Rody and I had a wonderful time seeing everybody at our home and
    celebrating the club’s second birthday.

    It’s all good. No, it’s all GREAT!

    Let’s do it again next year!
    Tommy

    --
    Tmornstar - Student of Christopher

    Tommy Thompson
    Memphis Unicycle Club
    Please vist our web site:
    http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
    Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

  8. bugman

    bugman Guest

    I would like to do it again next year. I am planning on a lot more prep
    for it though. I am going to start training much harder now that I have
    a benchmark to judge myself against. I know what I did to prepare for
    this year, and it was minimal. Maybe I need to start getting up at 5am
    and train like Tommy. I never will be in as good a condition in shape
    as Tommy was out of shape. His idea of out of shape is running a 6 1/2
    minute mile!:eek: That was off road. My best 2 mile time 15 years ago
    was 10min 54 sec. I was in the best shape of my life. I have a lot of
    wear and tear on my body since then, so I am not expecting that kind of
    time ever again.

    --
    bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

  9. Tmornstar

    Tmornstar Guest

    Hey Bugman,

    I'm still feelin' it - three days later. I even had a massage therapist
    work on a knot in my calf while I was in Knoxville on Monday. Dang!
    Gettin' old stinks.

    I hope to get back into my rhythm and riding daily tomorrow. For today,
    I’m still recovering.

    You guys have to get us an excuse to get to Atlanta to play by arranging
    to let us crash another mountain bike race.

    I wrote a note to the Wolfman and thanked him for including us this
    year. I think that we were the entertainment for the event.

    Again, I had a wonderful weekend. The race itself was only a small part
    of the fun. Putz’n around and being totally indulged in unicycling for
    the weekend was the best!

    Tommy

    --
    Tmornstar - Student of Christopher

    Tommy Thompson
    Memphis Unicycle Club
    Please vist our web site:
    http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
    Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

  10. bugman

    bugman Guest

    Don't forget the freeride event in April. I will find the thread I
    posted earlier and bump it. I hope we can get together when you come to
    town for the wedding. I know you are trying your best to drive so you
    can bring your Uni's.:D

    I thought for sure it would take me a week to recover. I was not even
    sore on Monday. Tuesday I was a little sore, but today I am feeling
    great. In my experience I usually am sore for days after that kind of a
    ride. Can't really say for sure what the difference was this time. I
    was laying on the ground writhing in pain from leg cramps on Sunday, and
    can say I have never had those before. Go figure?:confused: I pulled my
    Uni out for the first time tonight for about 10 minutes. I will start
    training again tomorrow.

    --
    bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

  11. chirokid

    chirokid Guest

    Hi Guys! I am fully recovered too. Had a most wonderful time in
    Memphis.

    Tommy and Rody were great hosts. All the MUC gang, a wonderful bunch of
    adults and children (sure wish I had the skills of 11 year old Sam).

    Tom and Tommy were tons of fun our our Saturday prep-ride. Charlie was
    amazing. However, I am most grateful for Jeff Skinner for being my
    "Runner", and a very good runner at that. Thanks Jeff.

    I am excited for next year. Now I just have to go ride some more.
    --chirokid--

    --
    chirokid - Bug Killing Unicyclist

    "Other than that, the best maintenance is to keep riding it as this
    helps to keep the eccentric nut on the saddle in optimal condition."
    quote by Mikefule

    chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

  12. Dang I really wanted to meet you guys...But I was busy working on our
    new house and I kinda forgot about it. Oh well, after we move I will
    probably be coming to the unicycle meetings on Tuesdays again.

    --
    Eublapharis13 - Hopefully I won't do this now!

    Age doesn't matter...........unless you're a cheese.
    Eublapharis13's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4065

  13. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    bugman wrote:
    > *Another good part is they had awards for the 2 groups of unicyclists.
    > Relay teams and Solo. We were so good, all of us medaled!:D
    > Officialy I came in third in the relay teams. Way I figure it I came
    > in first in my category since I was the only one in my group that had
    > a 24" Keith finished first in his realy group with the 29" and I
    > believe it was Greg and his son who finished first overall(Relay), and
    > first in the 26" group.;) Actually the medal was cool, but the
    > experience was the best part.
    > *

    No Cokers?
    Was the course Cokerable? Would a Coker have been faster than a 29er?

    That's how you can improve your time next year. Next year do the
    cycling leg on a Coker. :)

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  14. Tmornstar

    Tmornstar Guest

    Hi John,

    We never thought that the course was "Cokerable" until Charles saw
    Memphis Mud and me ride our 29ers there the day before. We have always
    used 24" on this course and we sort of felt that we were pushing the
    envelope by using 29ers. Not to be out-done, Charles showed up to the
    race with his Coker. “Chirokid”, too, decided on Saturday night to try
    a 29er for the race. I don't remember the time differences but all
    three 29ers beat the Coker. No offense to Charles but I think the
    results had more to do with conditioning than the wheel diameter.
    Through the technical sections (about half of the 6.5 mile course) I
    can't imagine riding a Coker and there is so much of it I can't imagine
    running through the woods with one either. I didn't have a chance to ask
    Charles, specifically how the ride went for him.

    I had a ride that I created especially for this course. It is a Bedford
    powder coated frame, C/F seat w/air and KH cover and Kinsport
    handle/bumpers. The magic part of my ride is the wheel (of course). I
    laced a Mavic tandem rim over a powder coated Suzue hub and, since it
    was relatively dry, used a Schwalbe "Big Apple" for rubber. I used 155
    cranks.

    The Big Apple is amazing! It has tons of air to play with to adjust for
    the perfect suspension. I weight about 145 and I ran it at 30 psi. It
    was wonderfully nimble and super-duper fast through the woods. At some
    places, it was frighteningly fast. Besides, the tire has that groovy
    reflective strip that lights-up beautifully with flash photography in
    the woods!

    Tommy

    --
    Tmornstar - Student of Christopher

    Tommy Thompson
    Memphis Unicycle Club
    Please vist our web site:
    http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
    Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

  15. billham

    billham Guest

    A couple of nights ago I had a new unicycling experience. I had a dream
    about unicycling, probably due to all the posting about this Wolfman
    event. A key part of the dream was the playing and gathering at the
    Thompson house. I remember Tommy from the dream, but can't recall
    meeting Rody, just know she was there.

    I guess I need to drive down next year for the event or be forced to
    have another dream afterwards. By the way it was a good dream and the
    hosting of the party by Tommy and Rody was appreciated in my dream as
    well. :p

    I am open to any interpretations of this dream. As if I need to
    mention it, I'm sure some will be offered.

    Dreaming and smiling! :cool:

    Bill

    --
    billham

    Direction is everything, distance is secondary.
    billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

  16. reidj

    reidj Guest

    I concur with Tommy's "Man-o-man" review of the weekend. The race was so
    much fun, and Tommy and Rody were so hospitable - thank you both for
    everything.

    Everybody out there please do yourself a favor and take part in one of
    these muni & running races. It is a great challenge and is a fantastic
    way to gain publicity for our sport. I'm getting the hankering to race
    in a local "sprint" triathlon on my uni.

    -Reid

    P.S. The real reason Charles was slower on his Coker than the 29-er gang
    was the aerodynamic drag caused by his smile he had plastered on his
    face. He was having so much fun flying over the singletrack on the
    Coker!

    --
    reidj - Looking for a uni-basketball game
    reidj's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5755

  17. Tmornstar

    Tmornstar Guest

  18. chirokid

    chirokid Guest

    reidj wrote:
    > *I'm getting the hankering to race in a local "sprint" triathlon on my
    > uni.
    > -Reid-*

    Reid, you are da man. Great to finally have you posting to the forum.
    Let us know about the "sprint" triathlon, you might get some extra
    visitors.

    No matter what, I'll see you at Wolfman next year. I claim the left end
    of the sofa. :D --chirokid--

    --
    chirokid - Bug Killing Unicyclist

    "Other than that, the best maintenance is to keep riding it as this
    helps to keep the eccentric nut on the saddle in optimal condition."
    quote by Mikefule

    chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

  19. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 11:38:27 -0500, "billham" wrote:

    >I am open to any interpretations of this dream. As if I need to
    >mention it, I'm sure some will be offered.

    Did you know there is a "Gallery of unicycling dreams" thread in JC?

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    Clearly a system of 1/14 and 1/16 is not decimal - Mikefule on the English weight system

  20. Memphis Mud

    Memphis Mud Guest

    reidj wrote:
    > * ...local "sprint" triathlon ...*

    Website?
    Details please.

    --
    Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

    Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...

    "do not think, just ride"...muniracer
    Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

Share This Page