The << BIGGEST >> front hub in the world!!!!!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Steady Rollin' Man, Jun 25, 2005.

  1. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

  2. In article <YOURhoward-65A06A.15451125062005@comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
    Howard Kveck <YOURhoward@h-SHOESbomb.com> wrote:

    > In article <o2fve.13625$mD6.11138@fe07.lga>,
    > "Steady Rollin' Man" <steady-rollin-man@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos.php?id=photos/2005/jun05/italy05/manuel_qu
    > > in
    > > ziato

    > 1964 Honda RC113 (a 50cc two cylinder, nine speed, cantilever front brake
    > race bike):
    >
    > http://www.vf750fd.com/Joep_Kortekaas/honda_race_history/rc113-1.jpg

    That's nuts! I'm a big old motorcycle nut, and I'd never heard that
    these little bikes used rim brakes.

    I assume they only got away with it because on most courses, the little
    bikes hardly used their brakes.

    Also, I have to guess that hub is an adaptation of a normal drum-brake
    hub.

    Wild bike, thanks for sharing.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau rcousine@sfu.ca http://www.wiredcola.com/

  3. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <rcousine-F83D7E.21101225062005@news.sfu.ca>,
    Ryan Cousineau <rcousine@sfu.ca> wrote:

    > In article <YOURhoward-65A06A.15451125062005@comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
    > Howard Kveck <YOURhoward@h-SHOESbomb.com> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <o2fve.13625$mD6.11138@fe07.lga>,
    > > "Steady Rollin' Man" <steady-rollin-man@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > > http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos.php?id=photos/2005/jun05/italy05/manuel_
    > > > qu
    > > > in
    > > > ziato

    > > 1964 Honda RC113 (a 50cc two cylinder, nine speed, cantilever front brake
    > > race bike):
    > >
    > > http://www.vf750fd.com/Joep_Kortekaas/honda_race_history/rc113-1.jpg

    > That's nuts! I'm a big old motorcycle nut, and I'd never heard that
    > these little bikes used rim brakes.
    >
    > I assume they only got away with it because on most courses, the little
    > bikes hardly used their brakes.
    >
    > Also, I have to guess that hub is an adaptation of a normal drum-brake
    > hub.
    >
    > Wild bike, thanks for sharing.

    Nah, it's actually just two sheets of aluminum that cover the spokes,
    which is about what the hub in the pic the OP linked to appears to be
    (except those are in carbon). The hub itself is not too different from a
    bicycle hub. That hub/brake arrangement was on the RC113, 114 and 115 in
    '63 -'65. The RC115 only weighed 50 kilos, and when you consider the size
    of the front tire, a stronger brake might have been a detrimental thing.
    You're right about them not being on the brakes much. Those bikes are all
    about maintaining corner speed, even more so than the present day 125s
    (although they can accelerate fairly well compared to those old 50s, since
    they have more than three times the horsepower).

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    Butter is love.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  4. Andy Birko

    Andy Birko Guest

    "Ryan Cousineau" <rcousine@sfu.ca> wrote in message
    > That's nuts! I'm a big old motorcycle nut, and I'd never heard that
    > these little bikes used rim brakes.

    Don't forget that the latest in concept bikes also have caliper based rim
    brakes (albeit with a separate disc the size of the rim).

    I'd bet that those rim brakes could have been better than the drums of the
    day.

    -Andy B.

    p.s. Did you used to hang out on the moto racelist or 125 e-mail lists years
    ago?

  5. In article <YOidnSTF9MmCRSPfRVn-uQ@comcast.com>,
    "Andy Birko" <wattact@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > "Ryan Cousineau" <rcousine@sfu.ca> wrote in message
    > > That's nuts! I'm a big old motorcycle nut, and I'd never heard that
    > > these little bikes used rim brakes.

    > Don't forget that the latest in concept bikes also have caliper based rim
    > brakes (albeit with a separate disc the size of the rim).

    Yes but...

    > I'd bet that those rim brakes could have been better than the drums of the
    > day.

    Maybe. They look cable-actuated though, and I doubt the leverage would
    be great. Moreover, the pad area is not so much.

    > -Andy B.
    >
    > p.s. Did you used to hang out on the moto racelist or 125 e-mail lists years
    > ago?

    rec.motorcycles, rmr, WetLeather, that sort of thing. Had an FZR400 and
    was on that list.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau rcousine@sfu.ca http://www.wiredcola.com/

  6. Andy Birko

    > In article <YOidnSTF9MmCRSPfRVn-uQ@comcast.com>,
    > rec.motorcycles, rmr, WetLeather, that sort of thing. Had an FZR400 and
    > was on that list.

    I raced an FZR 400 in the WERA north central region in 95&96 and an RS125 in
    GLRRA 98&99. Your name looked familiar - I probably read it on rbr or
    something.

    -Andy B.

  7. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <rcousine-A53259.18295326062005@morgoth.sfu.ca>,
    Ryan Cousineau <rcousine@sfu.ca> wrote:

    > In article <YOidnSTF9MmCRSPfRVn-uQ@comcast.com>,
    > "Andy Birko" <wattact@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > > I'd bet that those rim brakes could have been better than the drums of the
    > > day.

    > Maybe. They look cable-actuated though, and I doubt the leverage would
    > be great. Moreover, the pad area is not so much.

    I've seen some fairly good detail shots of these in a book and they look
    similar to the inexpensive (non-parallelogram) Shimano V-brakes. And the
    pad material was cork, if I remember correctly. By the way, the drums of
    that era were pretty large diameter, double leading shoe and, even though
    they were made of magnesium, they were relatively heavy. I think the main
    reasons for this set up was simple weight savings, less unsprung weight and
    (likely more importantly) less rotating mass, so the bikes were more
    flickable.

    --
    tanx,
    Howard