The Putty Road

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Dj, Oct 20, 2003.

  1. Dj

    Dj Guest

    Hi Fellow Cyclists

    I've been thinking of a bike tour taking the Putty Road up through the Hunter Valley from Windsor
    then up to Singleton then possibly up the new England.

    Was wondering if anyone has taken this route and is it safe or feasable?

    If I do this tour it will be possibly late feb /early march. Possibly stay in pubs, C'van parks etc
    as i don't have a self sufficient camping set -up yet.

    I'd appreciate anyone who has done a tour of this road to relay their experiences in the group.

    This will be my first bicycle tour so I've got to get a bit fitter and do more research.

    If I can average around 60kms a day, this would possibly get me to my destination of Bundarra within
    2- 3 weeks.......if i don't collapse in the meantime!!

    I'll be using a Diamondback Sorrento Sports mtn bike with road tires and rear panniers only, so I
    won't be travelling too heavy. Depending on how I go, I may have a rest day every 3 days.The bike
    and I have only covered less than 300 kms so I reckon I will wear out before the bike will hahahaha.

    I'm 43 yrs old with current below average cycling fitness so I know I must pull the old finger
    out and become fitter but it will be a challenge for me as I have never done anything of this
    nature before.

    Thanks in advance for participating

    Regards

    DJ

    Tags:

  2. Putty Road is better on a VFR800 ... :)

    "DJ" <mrjay@bigpond.com> wrote in message news:kaPkb.158660$bo1.45423@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
    > Hi Fellow Cyclists
    >
    > I've been thinking of a bike tour taking the Putty Road up through the Hunter Valley from Windsor
    > then up to Singleton then possibly up the new England.
    >
    > Was wondering if anyone has taken this route and is it safe or feasable?
    >
    > If I do this tour it will be possibly late feb /early march. Possibly stay in pubs, C'van parks
    > etc as i don't have a self sufficient camping set -up yet.
    >
    > I'd appreciate anyone who has done a tour of this road to relay their experiences in the group.
    >
    > This will be my first bicycle tour so I've got to get a bit fitter and do more research.
    >
    > If I can average around 60kms a day, this would possibly get me to my destination of Bundarra
    > within 2- 3 weeks.......if i don't collapse in the meantime!!
    >
    > I'll be using a Diamondback Sorrento Sports mtn bike with road tires and rear panniers only, so I
    > won't be travelling too heavy. Depending on how I go, I may have a rest day every 3 days.The bike
    > and I have only covered
    less
    > than 300 kms so I reckon I will wear out before the bike will hahahaha.
    >
    > I'm 43 yrs old with current below average cycling fitness so I know I must pull the old finger out
    > and become fitter but it will be a challenge for
    me
    > as I have never done anything of this nature before.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for participating
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > DJ

  3. Dj

    Dj Guest

    Granted Andrew...but what can you see at 200kph????

    "Andrew Morris" <use.the.newsgroup@to.reply> wrote in message
    > Putty Road is better on a VFR800 ... :)
    >
    > "DJ" <mrjay@bigpond.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Fellow Cyclists
    > >
    > > I've been thinking of a bike tour taking the Putty Road up through the Hunter Valley from
    > > Windsor then up to Singleton then possibly up the new England.
    > >
    > > Was wondering if anyone has taken this route and is it safe or feasable?
    > >
    > > If I do this tour it will be possibly late feb /early march. Possibly
    stay
    > > in pubs, C'van parks etc as i don't have a self sufficient camping
    set -up
    > > yet.
    > >
    > > I'd appreciate anyone who has done a tour of this road to relay their experiences in the group.
    > >
    > > This will be my first bicycle tour so I've got to get a bit fitter and
    do
    > > more research.
    > >
    > > If I can average around 60kms a day, this would possibly get me to my destination of Bundarra
    > > within 2- 3 weeks.......if i don't collapse in
    the
    > > meantime!!
    > >
    > > I'll be using a Diamondback Sorrento Sports mtn bike with road tires and rear panniers only, so
    > > I won't be travelling too heavy. Depending on how
    > > go, I may have a rest day every 3 days.The bike and I have only covered
    > less
    > > than 300 kms so I reckon I will wear out before the bike will
    hahahaha.

    > > I'm 43 yrs old with current below average cycling fitness so I know I
    must
    > > pull the old finger out and become fitter but it will be a challenge for
    > me
    > > as I have never done anything of this nature before.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for participating
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > DJ

  4. Dyno

    Dyno Guest

    i was gonna say the samething... been up putty road many times on my cbr600rr... be prepared for
    alot of motorbikes flying past you and also hotted up cars..that road is famous for that sought of
    stuff typically cause the cops dont patrol it as much...i dont think u will have to much troubles if
    u go during the weekdays. Which way will u come back also? "Andrew Morris"
    <use.the.newsgroup@to.reply> wrote in message news:3f93c1f3$0$1089$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...
    > Putty Road is better on a VFR800 ... :)
    >
    > "DJ" <mrjay@bigpond.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Fellow Cyclists
    > >
    > > I've been thinking of a bike tour taking the Putty Road up through the Hunter Valley from
    > > Windsor then up to Singleton then possibly up the new England.
    > >
    > > Was wondering if anyone has taken this route and is it safe or feasable?
    > >
    > > If I do this tour it will be possibly late feb /early march. Possibly
    stay
    > > in pubs, C'van parks etc as i don't have a self sufficient camping
    set -up
    > > yet.
    > >
    > > I'd appreciate anyone who has done a tour of this road to relay their experiences in the group.
    > >
    > > This will be my first bicycle tour so I've got to get a bit fitter and
    do
    > > more research.
    > >
    > > If I can average around 60kms a day, this would possibly get me to my destination of Bundarra
    > > within 2- 3 weeks.......if i don't collapse in
    the
    > > meantime!!
    > >
    > > I'll be using a Diamondback Sorrento Sports mtn bike with road tires and rear panniers only, so
    > > I won't be travelling too heavy. Depending on how
    > > go, I may have a rest day every 3 days.The bike and I have only covered
    > less
    > > than 300 kms so I reckon I will wear out before the bike will
    hahahaha.

    > > I'm 43 yrs old with current below average cycling fitness so I know I
    must
    > > pull the old finger out and become fitter but it will be a challenge for
    > me
    > > as I have never done anything of this nature before.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for participating
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > DJ

  5. Dj

    Dj Guest

    "dyno" <dynolab@dddd.com> wrote in message news:OQ1lb.159432$bo1.94421@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
    > i was gonna say the samething... been up putty road many times on my cbr600rr... be prepared for
    > alot of motorbikes flying past you and also hotted up cars..that road is famous for that sought of
    > stuff typically
    cause
    > the cops dont patrol it as much...i dont think u will have to much
    troubles
    > if u go during the weekdays. Which way will u come back also? "Andrew Morris"
    > <use.the.newsgroup@to.reply> wrote in message
    > > Putty Road is better on a VFR800 ... :)

    Depending on how far i actually get and how long it takes me, I intend on returning by train from
    either Tamworth or Armidale or perhaps a coach........dunno yet!!

    > > "DJ" <mrjay@bigpond.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi Fellow Cyclists
    > > >
    > > > I've been thinking of a bike tour taking the Putty Road up through the Hunter Valley from
    > > > Windsor then up to Singleton then possibly up the
    new
    > > > England.
    > > >
    > > > Was wondering if anyone has taken this route and is it safe or
    feasable?

    > > > If I do this tour it will be possibly late feb /early march. Possibly
    > stay
    > > > in pubs, C'van parks etc as i don't have a self sufficient camping
    > set -up
    > > > yet.
    > > >
    > > > I'd appreciate anyone who has done a tour of this road to relay their experiences in the
    > > > group.
    > > >
    > > > This will be my first bicycle tour so I've got to get a bit fitter and
    > do
    > > > more research.
    > > >
    > > > If I can average around 60kms a day, this would possibly get me to my destination of Bundarra
    > > > within 2- 3 weeks.......if i don't collapse in
    > the
    > > > meantime!!
    > > >
    > > > I'll be using a Diamondback Sorrento Sports mtn bike with road tires
    and
    > > > rear panniers only, so I won't be travelling too heavy. Depending on
    how
    > > > go, I may have a rest day every 3 days.The bike and I have only
    covered
    > > less
    > > > than 300 kms so I reckon I will wear out before the bike will
    > hahahaha.
    > > >
    > > > I'm 43 yrs old with current below average cycling fitness so I know I
    > must
    > > > pull the old finger out and become fitter but it will be a challenge
    for
    > > me
    > > > as I have never done anything of this nature before.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance for participating
    > > >
    > > > Regards
    > > >
    > > > DJ

  6. Seek out deep and meaningful professional psychiatric help before you go on a bicycle on the
    Putty Road.

    May I suggest you also ensure you are on the top medical cover and/or your funeral arrangements are
    all in place.

    Stupidly I did the Putty Road in 1987 NEVER EVER AGAIN. I would say, it is possibly the most stupid
    thing I have done in my life.

    What was it like - well, HELL till I realised it was total madness to proceed. I have just dug my
    dairies out and I stopped at Parrs Brush and slept till 11:00pm. Had a feed and set off again at
    00:15. At least that way I could see the vehicles lights in the mirror and get *WELL* off the road.
    I got to The Holes at 6:25am and stopped there as the traffic was starting to get too busy. I made
    myself a breakfast of cooked oats, diced dried fruit and sliced up glace ginger, four slices of
    toast with cream cheese and jam, listened to the radio and read for a while, had a cup of tea and
    went to sleep. Woke up at 3:12pm, went for an extended walk and saw some great birds and was quite
    tired when I returned from the steep climbs. At 6:35pm I had a great dinner (yes, I always eat well)
    listened to the radio and read. Went and had another sleep at 9:10pm and slept till 00:35. Traffic
    was minimal and had a great trip through to Mount Thorley.

    In other words, you tackle the Putty Rd during the day, you will probably be a statistic or
    maimed for life. I could see no reason why today would be any different and probably worse
    compared to 1987.

    Doubt you would reach 44 if you tackled the Putty Rd during the day. I hope I have not put you off
    the Putty Rd.

    Important thing is to take it easy the first four or five days and you will find you achieve more
    than flogging yourself and have muscle cramps etc. I would suggest at your age plenty of milk and a
    bottle of quinine sulphate tablets for the trip. The UHT low fat milk today from Coles and BiLo is
    excellent. Try to avoid junk take away loaded with germs and fat meals. For me, cooking and eating
    well is all part of the experience. Good counter meals at pubs at lunch can be great value, but stay
    away from the sausages and that sort of thing. Go for the lamb roast and vegetables.

    --

    "DJ" <mrjay@bigpond.com> wrote in message news:kaPkb.158660$bo1.45423@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
    > Hi Fellow Cyclists
    >
    > I've been thinking of a bike tour taking the Putty Road up through the Hunter Valley from Windsor
    > then up to Singleton then possibly up the new England.
    >
    > Was wondering if anyone has taken this route and is it safe or feasable?
    >
    > If I do this tour it will be possibly late feb /early march. Possibly stay in pubs, C'van parks
    > etc as i don't have a self sufficient camping set -up yet.
    >
    > I'd appreciate anyone who has done a tour of this road to relay their experiences in the group.
    >
    > This will be my first bicycle tour so I've got to get a bit fitter and do more research.
    >
    > If I can average around 60kms a day, this would possibly get me to my destination of Bundarra
    > within 2- 3 weeks.......if i don't collapse in the meantime!!
    >
    > I'll be using a Diamondback Sorrento Sports mtn bike with road tires and rear panniers only, so I
    > won't be travelling too heavy. Depending on how I go, I may have a rest day every 3 days.The bike
    > and I have only covered
    less
    > than 300 kms so I reckon I will wear out before the bike will hahahaha.
    >
    > I'm 43 yrs old with current below average cycling fitness so I know I must pull the old finger out
    > and become fitter but it will be a challenge for
    me
    > as I have never done anything of this nature before.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for participating
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > DJ

  7. Dj

    Dj Guest

    Holy Moly Mikita.........I think you may have just sealed the eminent cancellation of the Putty Road
    experience......Thankyou thankyou thankyou!!

    The original purpose of my asking about this road was perhaps a better exit from Sydney keeping off
    the highways but if what you say is true, It's probably safer on the F3 to N'castle LOL.

    I kinda knew this used to be a notorious road for overnight truckies and the horrendous speeds they
    do through the middle of the night but i never thought it would be like this in the middle of the
    day as well.

    I really appreciate your indepth description of your experience along the Putty and I reckon that
    perhps you may be right......I might need my head read!!

    By the way, I've made an appointment with my shrink....just for thinking about that idea.

    Oh well........back to the maps!!

    Once again Mikita...thanks a million!! you may well have saved my life.

    Oh just one more thing, I don't think I've heard of those quinine sulphate tabs you suggested, what
    are they and what do they do?

    Best Regards

    DJ "Mikita Corvana" <youknockonthedoor@nobodyhome.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > more research.
    > >
    > > If I can average around 60kms a day, this would possibly get me to my destination of Bundarra
    > > within 2- 3 weeks.......if i don't collapse in
    the
    > > meantime!!
    > >
    > > I'll be using a Diamondback Sorrento Sports mtn bike with road tires and rear panniers only, so
    > > I won't be travelling too heavy. Depending on how
    > > go, I may have a rest day every 3 days.The bike and I have only covered
    > less
    > > than 300 kms so I reckon I will wear out before the bike will
    hahahaha.

    > > I'm 43 yrs old with current below average cycling fitness so I know I
    must
    > > pull the old finger out and become fitter but it will be a challenge for
    > me
    > > as I have never done anything of this nature before.

  8. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "DJ" <mrjay@bigpond.com> wrote in message news:Ay8lb.159996$bo1.44104@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
    > Oh just one more thing, I don't think I've heard of those quinine sulphate tabs you suggested,
    > what are they and what do they do?

    http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/mom/quinine/Quinine.htm

    Quinine is in Schweppes Tonic Water.. horrid stuff.

    Muscle cramps are best prevented with adequate sleep, suffiencient electolyte replacement
    (potassium, sodium, magnesium, etc - bananas!) and sufficient hydration, the good ol' H20.

    hth hippy

  9. "DJ" <mrjay@bigpond.com> wrote in message news:Ay8lb.159996$bo1.44104@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
    > Holy Moly Mikita.........I think you may have just sealed the eminent cancellation of the Putty
    > Road experience......Thankyou thankyou
    thankyou!!

    > The original purpose of my asking about this road was perhaps a better
    exit
    > from Sydney keeping off the highways but if what you say is true, It's probably safer on the F3 to
    > N'castle LOL.

    Several years back I did a nice route north out of Sydny that generally avoided most heavy traffic.

    From Circular Quay took the ferry to Manly. Rode north via Narabeen to Palm Beach. Tiny ferry across
    Pittwater to Patonga, then rode up the hill across to Umina Beach, Woy Woy then some busier roads to
    Terrigal. From here I had a very pleasant ride north via The Entrance, Budgewoi, crossed the Pacific
    Highway then through Freemans Waterholes to the Hunter Valley.

    Not quiet country lanes, but a suitable route to leave the city without resorting to the freeways,
    as I'm not from Sydney and the routes out of town were looking to be a bit of a challenge. I managed
    to cycle all the way to the Queensland border and cycled on the Pacific Highway for no more than 30
    kms. And that was more than enough.

    Cheers Petr

  10. DJ <mrjay@bigpond.com> wrote:
    : Hi Fellow Cyclists

    : I've been thinking of a bike tour taking the Putty Road up through the Hunter Valley from Windsor
    : then up to Singleton then possibly up the new England.

    : Was wondering if anyone has taken this route and is it safe or feasable?

    I've never actually travelled on this road but from tales I've heard it seems a pretty narrow and
    tortuous road with a fair number of trucks and other fast moving traffic - not exactly
    cycle-friendly. And there are reportedly quite long distances between any kind of support - only
    scrub. With this kind of doubt, I'd defintely drive it first.

    : If I can average around 60kms a day, this would possibly get me to my destination of Bundarra
    : within 2- 3 weeks.......if i don't collapse in the meantime!!

    The Old Pacific Highway from Hornsby to Gosford is supposedly a good road to cycle. I'm not sure how
    you could then reconnect with it to go north to Newcastle. From there, I would definitely consider
    the ride to Stroud, Gloucester, Nowendoch, Walch and Uralla - about 270ks from Newcastle. It would
    be a challenge, especially the rise from Gloucester but it is much more scenic and a lot less
    traffic than the NE Highway. From Uralla it's a pretty straight 50ks (or so) to Bundarra.

    : I'll be using a Diamondback Sorrento Sports mtn bike with road tires and rear panniers only, so I
    : won't be travelling too heavy. Depending on how I go, I may have a rest day every 3 days.The bike
    : and I have only covered less than 300 kms so I reckon I will wear out before the bike will
    : hahahaha.

    If you start riding regularly - say 20-30ks - every few days then in a few weeks you will be able to
    push to 50ks and from there it isn't a big jump to 100k which you could easily do in a day - at
    18kph average which is quite achievable on a tourer it takes just over 5 hours to make 100k. If I
    remember correctly, the RTA big rides have those sorts of distances and often people who rarely
    ride, or have never ridden, are able to front up for days in a row.

    It is wise to consider rest days, but I wouldn't rule out being able to press on to do a light 50k
    ride without suffering. It's not the distance that's the issue, it's more to do with intensity,
    hydration and food.

    : I'm 43 yrs old with current below average cycling fitness so I know I must pull the old finger
    : out and become fitter but it will be a challenge for me as I have never done anything of this
    : nature before.

    You may be fitter than you realise and could make a big difference in a relatively short time.
    Certainly people with less fitness are able to cope with long rides. I think after a day or so on
    the ride you will be cruising and your problem will be to pace yourself rather than to push. Don't
    be surprised if you get addicted!

    Cheerz, Lynzz

  11. Carl Milne

    Carl Milne Guest

    DJ Lynzz made a good suggestion. The Old Pacific Hwy is good to cycle and you can get off at Mt
    White (Calga Interchange on F3) and take a realy nice route up to Singleton via Mangrove Mtn,
    Bucketty, Wollombi, Broke etc. and then rejoin the Putty Rd where the road is good into Singleton.

    OR you could go through Wisemans Ferry up past St Albans (gravel) to Bucketty and continue as before
    on to Singleton. I have cycled most of these roads and they are generally cycle friendly and very
    scenic. I am looking forward to a trip to Wollombi in November for a couple of days cycling in this
    area. Good luck whatever you decide, Carl

    "Lindsay Rowlands" <lrowland@metz.une.edu.au> wrote in message
> [...]
    >
    > It is wise to consider rest days, but I wouldn't rule out being able to
    press
    > on to do a light 50k ride without suffering. It's not the distance that's the issue, it's more to
    > do with intensity, hydration and food.
    >
    > : I'm 43 yrs old with current below average cycling fitness so I know I
    must
    > : pull the old finger out and become fitter but it will be a challenge for
    me
    > : as I have never done anything of this nature before.
    >
    > You may be fitter than you realise and could make a big difference in a relatively short time.
    > Certainly people with less fitness are able to cope with long rides. I think after a day or so on
    > the ride you will be cruising and your problem will be to pace yourself rather than to push. Don't

  12. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > Quinine is in Schweppes Tonic Water.. horrid stuff.
    >
    > hth hippy

    Unless mixed with the magic ingredient - gin! Yum, summer is coming up!

    &roo

  13. Brizza

    Brizza New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2003
    I've riden the old Hwy from Hornsby to Newcastle a few times and while it is very hilly you can hear the motorbikes and the cars take the Freeway. There is the train should you have a mechanical or need a lift to Newcastle or Sydney. I've heard of people catching the train between Hawksbury River and Hornsby to enjoy the hils (Hawksbury being a sea level and Hornsby being up high). :cool:

    I consider the putty to be an equally good ride though I have never riden on it as it is a busy road for trafic from Singleton to Sydney. At points it has little to no shoulder and has many tight and blind corners. If you had a motorpace behind you it would be safe but otherwise you would require several riders and move at a decent pace for the trafic.

    I live in Singleton and would be interested in riding the local roads with other riders, I havn't found anything beyond the New England so far.

    Brian

  14. waffle

    waffle New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2003
    try the Bicentenial Trial

  15. Dj

    Dj Guest

    G'day again!!

    Thanks a million Lindsay, Carl, Mikita, Hippy & Pete for all the advice and options which I have
    taken down for serious consideration, in particular going via the old P'fic hwy.

    It will be my first real tour on a bike and I'll be just content to take my time as that is what
    it's all about isn't it.

    Eventually I'll buy myself a real touring bike like a Trek 520 or something similar, but i'll have
    to make do with a MTN bike for now.Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much in the way of choice
    in Australia as far as touring bikes are concerned but the Trek has a good reputation for
    reliablilty , strength & comfort.

    It's not exactly a cheap past-time really when you when you look at originally setting up, with say
    the cost of bike, panniers,racks & accessories then tool, parts, then you have things like certain
    clothing, camping gear etc, I beleive a touring/camping set up would set me back around 5-6K if I
    buy good stuff in the first place......but still, I guess when you consider what it costs to run a
    single average car for a year, it's very affordable and will last for yrs.......if no bastard
    pinches anything!!

    Does that sound like too much of a roundabout sentence?

    This is my dream that even an unfit 43yr old like myself can just take off for a month or two on a
    bike and be self efficient and completely de-stress.

    Thanks again for all your imput folks.....this is a great newgroup...i love it!!

    Best Regards

    DJ

> [...]
    >
    > It is wise to consider rest days, but I wouldn't rule out being able to
    press
    > on to do a light 50k ride without suffering. It's not the distance that's the issue, it's more to
    > do with intensity, hydration and food.
    >
    > : I'm 43 yrs old with current below average cycling fitness so I know I
    must
    > : pull the old finger out and become fitter but it will be a challenge for
    me
    > : as I have never done anything of this nature before.
    >
    > You may be fitter than you realise and could make a big difference in a relatively short time.
    > Certainly people with less fitness are able to cope with long rides. I think after a day or so on
    > the ride you will be cruising and your problem will be to pace yourself rather than to push. Don't

  16. its_stuart

    its_stuart New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2003
    What Mikita Corvana said.
    That road is a death trap. I was involved in a serious smash at the putti turnoff (backseat of course) I suggest you get a top of the line rear-vision mirror. Better still why don't you investigate taking the bicentenial trail/track? I've been thinking that would be an enjoyable trip. You should try to take someone with you (safety in numbers)

  17. Malvern_star

    Malvern_star New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2002
    I've only ridden as far as the servo about 15k from Colo bridge , road is narrow , no bike lane or shoulder , it would be an excellent ride - if there were no cars. It was busy . Good tracks off the putty road if you're into the full MTB thing.
    As previously mentioned , a good alternative route is the Wisemans Ferry > St Albans > Buckety > Cessnock , Old Pacific Highway or designated bike routes/tracks. You can get a booklet in a motor registry with these routes.

  18. Hi Guys,

    Thanks a million for all your imput on my querie in regards to the Putty Road.

    Yes well I'm taking the advice given and canning the Putty...as I've never been on this road in car
    or bike, I thought perhaps it might've been an interesting route to take.

    I might end up getting the train up as far as past Hornsby...I think it's coolah or colah...or
    perhps even Gosford, .then ride the old Pac. Hwy heading up through N'castle via Swansea
    /Belmont...good wide road with not much traffic now, then train from N'castle to Maitland
    /Rutherford then up towards Dungog etc.

    I may even just stick towards the coast and veer off to some of the out of the way beach spots that
    I normally pass when I'm driving as one often does.

    In particular, I love South West Rocks, great little place for a few days R&R.

    Whilst In the Kempsey area, I'd like to take a ride up inland towards Bellbrook and Nulla Nulla
    Creek ( Slim Dusty's Home area), I beleive there is some good Bass Fishing in those parts as well.

    Anyway, once again..thanks to everyone for your advice and suggestions, if you got any more...keep
    them coming as I'm always open to new ideas.

    Regards

    DJ "its_stuart" <usenet-forum@cyclingforums.com> wrote in message
    > What Mikita Corvana said. That road is a death trap. I was involved in a serious smash at the
    > putti turnoff (backseat of course) I suggest you get a top of the line rear-vision mirror. Better
    > still why don't you investigate taking the bicentenial trail/track? I've been thinking that would
    > be an enjoyable trip. You should try to take someone with you (safety in numbers)

  19. DJ I can't comment on the Putty Rd, but can offer a very pleasant alternative, which will get you to
    where you want to go. My wife and I have just finished a 23 month round Australia cycling trip and
    when we went through NSW we took the road from Penrith to Wisemans Ferry then up to St Albans and on
    up through Buckety etc. Some of it is dirt road but easy going. Have a look at our web diary for our
    account http://www.geocities.com/andrewhooker59/CycleTouring.html and follow the May 02 link on the
    left hand side. We also followed the New England Hwy and loved it. Hope this helps, regards, Andrew

    "DJ" <mrjay@bigpond.com> wrote in message news:kaPkb.158660$bo1.45423@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
    > Hi Fellow Cyclists
    >
    > I've been thinking of a bike tour taking the Putty Road up through the Hunter Valley from Windsor
    > then up to Singleton then possibly up the new England.
    >
    > Was wondering if anyone has taken this route and is it safe or feasable?
    >
    > If I do this tour it will be possibly late feb /early march. Possibly stay in pubs, C'van parks
    > etc as i don't have a self sufficient camping set -up yet.
    >
    > I'd appreciate anyone who has done a tour of this road to relay their experiences in the group.
    >
    > This will be my first bicycle tour so I've got to get a bit fitter and do more research.
    >
    > If I can average around 60kms a day, this would possibly get me to my destination of Bundarra
    > within 2- 3 weeks.......if i don't collapse in the meantime!!
    >
    > I'll be using a Diamondback Sorrento Sports mtn bike with road tires and rear panniers only, so I
    > won't be travelling too heavy. Depending on how I go, I may have a rest day every 3 days.The bike
    > and I have only covered
    less
    > than 300 kms so I reckon I will wear out before the bike will hahahaha.
    >
    > I'm 43 yrs old with current below average cycling fitness so I know I must pull the old finger out
    > and become fitter but it will be a challenge for
    me
    > as I have never done anything of this nature before.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for participating
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > DJ

  20. Dyno

    Dyno Guest

    hey why dont u just go in the RTA bigride next march.. goes from glouster --> hornsby "D & M
    Johnston" <mrjay@bigpond.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > Thanks a million for all your imput on my querie in regards to the Putty Road.
    >
    > Yes well I'm taking the advice given and canning the Putty...as I've never been on this road in
    > car or bike, I thought perhaps it might've been an interesting route to take.
    >
    > I might end up getting the train up as far as past Hornsby...I think it's coolah or colah...or
    > perhps even Gosford, .then ride the old Pac. Hwy heading up through N'castle via Swansea
    > /Belmont...good wide road with not much traffic now, then train from N'castle to Maitland
    > /Rutherford then up towards Dungog etc.
    >
    > I may even just stick towards the coast and veer off to some of the out of the way beach spots
    > that I normally pass when I'm driving as one often
    does.

    > In particular, I love South West Rocks, great little place for a few days R&R.
    >
    > Whilst In the Kempsey area, I'd like to take a ride up inland towards Bellbrook and Nulla Nulla
    > Creek ( Slim Dusty's Home area), I beleive there is some good Bass Fishing in those parts as well.
    >
    > Anyway, once again..thanks to everyone for your advice and suggestions, if you got any more...keep
    > them coming as I'm always open to new ideas.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > DJ "its_stuart" <usenet-forum@cyclingforums.com> wrote in message
    > > What Mikita Corvana said. That road is a death trap. I was involved in a serious smash at the
    > > putti turnoff (backseat of course) I suggest you get a top of the line rear-vision mirror.
    > > Better still why don't you investigate taking the bicentenial trail/track? I've been thinking
    > > that would be an enjoyable trip. You should try to take someone with you (safety in numbers)
    > >

    > > --

Share This Page