The Thread about Nothing....

At this point I twigged that I must have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Many normal blood tests later and that looks to be the diagnosis.

But now my tale of wow and misery has taken a turn for the worse as I have just been diagnosed with pneumonia. So instead of trying to get on the podium in the Masters champs I’m just trying to get out of bloody bed!

I’m sorry to cry on your collective shoulders but I just needed to vent some of my pent up frustration.

I can't really offer you much in the way of advice I am afraid. The cause of CFS is not well understood, but I suspect it might arise from your immune system targetting self antigens that resemble the virus that you had. Rest is really all that is offered as a treatment as well as a graded, gentle exercise program. You need a good doctor and also a physiotherapist who understand CFS/ME. I am assuming your doc has ruled out any other cause such as a blood disorder or one of the autoimmune conditions?

Isn’t the cure for CFS to just harden the **** up?

Ozman has been trying to convince himself he has CFS for close to 20 years now.

I can't really offer you much in the way of advice I am afraid. The cause of CFS is not well understood, but I suspect it might arise from your immune system targetting self antigens that resemble the virus that you had. Rest is really all that is offered as a treatment as well as a graded, gentle exercise program. You need a good doctor and also a physiotherapist who understand CFS/ME. I am assuming your doc has ruled out any other cause such as a blood disorder or one of the autoimmune conditions?

It wouldn't at all surprise me if CFS or a subjection of the CFS population was found to have an autoimmune component, just like rheumatic heart disease after tonsillitis for example.

It's interesting about the graded exercise thing as there was a big study done into it that was published in the Lancet in 2011 that showed a 22% recovery rate using either graded exercise therapy (GET) or cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). Things got interesting when a Freedom of Information request was requested and the people behind the research objected. Eventually the data was handed over and analysed by experts and what they found was that the definition of recovery had been changed mid-trial so that someone could actually be worse after they started the trial than before they had started and still been considered as recovered. By the time all of the data had been analysed they found the actual recovery rate had dropped to 4% for GET and 7% for CBT which wasn't statistically different compared to the control group which had a 3% recovery rate.

There are plenty of really small studies around that show promising results but none of these have prompted any further research. One example include bacteriotherapy of the gut with a 70% recovery rate. Another applies to around 10% of the CFS population who have chlamydia pneumoniae infections. When treated with antibiotics their symptoms seem proportional to their titres of CPN.

I need to find a good doctor familiar with CFS but that is in the too hard basket right now as it will involve a lot of driving or going by plane.

Isn’t the cure for CFS to just harden the **** up?

Ozman has been trying to convince himself he has CFS for close to 20 years now.

Funny you should say that as I have a Certificate of Insanity issued to me by a good friend of mine who is a psychologist. She gave it to me the week I first came ill after I went training when a storm front was approaching. It was that windy I had trouble keeping my bike upright and the rain stang like hell. She figured I must have been insane!

The hard thing is not to harden the **** up. Being a tough cnunt works in the short term but in the long term it could be why I am where I am now. Learning to take it easy is bloody difficult.

Reactions: trailgumby
The most recent Cochrane review - April 2017 - into graded exercise in CFS, suggests there is some benefit to be had and yes, they did include "that study" (which is still ongoing, BTW).

Unfortunately, what none of the studies can tell you is what intensity and duration of exercise will be beneficial since that is very much down to individual response.

As a random aside, are you taking steps to maximise the health of your gut bacteria? That's an area which might yield some benefit too.

The most recent Cochrane review - April 2017 - into graded exercise in CFS, suggests there is some benefit to be had and yes, they did include "that study" (which is still ongoing, BTW).

Unfortunately, what none of the studies can tell you is what intensity and duration of exercise will be beneficial since that is very much down to individual response.

As a random aside, are you taking steps to maximise the health of your gut bacteria? That's an area which might yield some benefit too.

I'll be on to that as soon as I'm done with the antibiotics for the pneumonia. I have just started growing my first cultures of kefir water and kambucha tea, I have some bottles of live sauerkraut and I just saw how to make it on Saturday. I have some saccharomyces boulardii and arabinogalactan which is meant to go well with stewed apples, blueberries, raw almonds and natural yoghurt. I'm also avoiding sucrose and milk and planning on getting more prebiotic foods into my diet.

I actually had CFS in my twenties. I had two years off work and it took another 3 years to get back to the point that I could do the Great Victorian Bike Ride. This time around there are probably more differences than similarities. I never got sick back then and I could still manage a bit of exercise, but I also had undiagnosed coeliacs disease which I later put down as the predominant cause.

A mate of mine teaches PE at the school the girls attend. I'll have to ask if he gave them any motorcycling tips.

But funnily enough, back in 1978 myself and two mates on the last ever day of school went and did wheelies on the sports fields at the nearby girls school on our motor bikes. No girls were run over, we did **** the school custodian off and one of my mates had to extract his bike from the under construction long jump sand pit (basically a **** off big hole) that he dropped into accidentally.

Reactions: paulambry
I bought myself some art.

Attachments

• IMG_2452.JPG
    IMG_2452.JPG
    527 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: steve and 99err
So are we ready to burn Bono at the stake now?

And on an unrelated matter how about Magda - seriously that b^&%h nearly had me voting no on SSM she is that intolerable.

Yes, Burn Bono. Burn the queen too.

What has Magda down now? Is she still upset about bike riders? Or just upset she woke up to find she is still an ugly fat lezzo?

Yes, Burn Bono. Burn the queen too.

What has Magda down now? Is she still upset about bike riders? Or just upset she woke up to find she is still an ugly fat lezzo?

Mostly her grandstanding on SSM calling for tolerance of others in society. It was difficult to swallow after her 'its ok to kill cyclists with your car' routine of a few years ago.

She is a poor choice as a minority advocate IMO and should not be let loose in public forums. Mind you she is a brilliant poster child for the mentally ill.

Love them! Where from?
Sorry Ross. A mate of mine runs a groovy little gallery/shop on Oxford st called the Workshop Makery, it's a space in which artists can affordably rent a table or wall space to show and sell their art from, all kinds of stuff, jewelery made from watch movements, candles, mugs, paintings, photos, handcut vinyl, whatever. It's a great gift buying shop. Arts and craft workshops on the weekends too. It's cool.
Those pieces are by a local guy Dan Hu. Hand cut , not lasered, not sure but maybe hot wire cut? They're intricately done. He's got a facebook page apparently.
I've spent a few days now looking at them on my wall between the kitchen and my office desk and I'm proper loving em. I had a chat to him and he's willing to make a bespoke one cos I like tryptiches. I'm thinking Charles Mingus for the third one, but I should probably get him over to look at my jazz CD and record collection so we can choose something together.

Found it. https://www.facebook.com/DanHuArtistry/

Last edited:
Reactions: roshea