The Thread about Nothing....

Look it's a good song orright?
Also and maybe more important to me is RIP George Young a couple of weeks earlier. Old Youngs dropping like flies.
And there was an Easybeats docudrama on ABC last week which I found out about today. Apparently it's tolerable. I'll watch it on iView. I read about it in Fairfax's review in the paper today. I knew **** Diamonde in Lismore, didn't realise he'd grown up a JoHo before becoming a rockstar, kinda assumed he'd just fallen into it as a safeish community in his older, more mentally challenged years. There you go.

Also, I'm a new teacher, and 1 week from now supervise my first bunch of blokes in an exam. I got given a copy of that exam tonight, and have already resisted (halfhearted) bribery attempts, but having studied the **** out of it at the pub tonight I was also ****ing annoyed that at least a couple of questions are not remotely referenced/included in the student resources/syllabus, whatever. I get one more evening with them tomorrow, and I can't give them the answers per se, but I do need to give them a fighting chance.
I need to be careful what I type here, but it is, um, surprising how out of date this RTO's resources are compared to the current Australian Standards which specifically determine the finite details of the subject I'm teaching. It's all in dire need of a rewrite. It's also surprising to see how much the rules details can change from one version of the AS/NZS standard to the next one written 3 or 5 years later. It's a work in progress. I'm learning a lot, and hopefully properly sharing that understanding with the next generation of overpriced ****tards who are responsible for making sure you don't die of Legionella.

Last edited:
Well, my dear TANnerers, that was a satisfying evening. Get used to that word, I think I might repeat it a few times tonight. I can't think of a better word to describe my feelings. Perhaps not least because the concept of job satisfaction has been curiously alien to me previously. I do get some sense of satisfaction from doing a plumbing job well, but not like I got tonight when I said "congratulations lads, you have completed learning Cert IV Water." Which in many ways was a lie, because they will never stop learning their trade for as long as they stick with it, but we'd finally covered the material, and as much as I'm a newbie, I'd like to think we covered it well. I hopefully brought a wellrounded, wholistic perspective to the book ****. Sure they've got many hours of homework to do to finish their design assignments in the next week, and a fair bit of revision before their exam, but we got there. All of us learning together. A sense of relief. Satisfying relief. Job satisfaction. And then they wouldn't leave, while I laid on the floor, answering design questions as needed, as they worked together on their homework with their last chance for sharing the burden, like some kind of team, and then they all ****ing thanked me before they left. Satisfying, I tells ya.
Love yas all.

Last edited:
When I said halfhearted bribery attempts last night, I should have said lighthearted bribery attempts, as in 'what do you drink Steve?'
"A lot"
Before class tonight in the staff room I, also lightheartedly, asked what is the going rate for a copy of the exam? And is it like hospitality where you have to share tips amongst the other staff? After a couple of 'what?''s, since one of the head teachers was also there, and I'm sure was listening keenly, I got the answer 'your wages until retirement age'. Pretty good answer that. I told the students that an hour later, and they decided revision was a better option.
I also got a call from an architect/builder mate today, who I work with, and TAFE had called him as one of my references, to see if I go from casual to permanent part time, and I was pleased to hear of his response, and also that a head teacher told him I was a breath of fresh air or something? Wow, cigarettes and alcohol =fresh? Judicious use of Fisherman's Friends for the win, young Padawan.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://youtu.be/yBdTVmSVq14

Yeah yeah KEXP, get ****ed.
View: https://youtu.be/jhicDUgXyNg

View: https://youtu.be/ev0yILvCdMM

And sadly Charles died this year too, but, hey at least KEXP managed to record him for posterity yeah? :/

DPF. Jim Nabors

e7021956ad3e97416dc8e5a212274f45.jpg

I just realised I had missed pages of TAN coz my alerts stopped working.
Up to date now :)

And well done beeps on your passing on of knowledge!

Hmm. A tip for young players.
When singing along to Billy Joel songs, which I wouldn't recommend because they're prone to misogeny,
but even so, the second verse to I love you just the way you are does not include the phrase although I preferred it when your **** was smaller.

Hmm. A tip for young players.
When singing along to Billy Joel songs, which I wouldn't recommend because they're prone to misogeny,
but even so, the second verse to I love you just the way you are does not include the phrase although I preferred it when your **** was smaller.

Thanks for the laugh. I may try it out on my wife for a reaction.

Thanks for the laugh. I may try it out on my wife for a reaction.

Not recommended. I may need to round out 2017 with a nomination for "my sex life" although I think the DP rules preclude nominating the already dead. :(

LMAO at "DP" in a sex joke......:rolleyes: