The Thread about Nothing....

Grade or gradient? Badly worded question. Do they want it in degrees? It will be a tiny angle.

2018 TAN Dead Pool
roshea
: Jimmy Carter, George H.W. Bush, Donald Trump (eagle eyed readers might spot a theme)
classic1 - Billy Graham, Paul Gascoigne, Sean Connery
matagi - Phil the Greek, Bob Hawke, Kirk Douglas
62vette - Betty White, Robert Mugabe, Pierre Cardin
paul - Henry Kissinger, Keith Richards, David Rockefeller
wilchemy - Vera Lynn, Clint Eastwood, Olivia Newton-John

Go me!

Nup. Fall=Length/ gradient. Get the units in order and work off the known horizontals. Oh yeah the gradient of pipe is always from the horizontal. I wish I’d managed to put all that into simpler words earlier on Tuesday.

That's cold cnut. And wrong.
Interestingly, we plumbers (well us old ones, because we don't don't teach young plumbers roofing anymore, most likely cos WHS) always measure roof pitch in degrees, but drainage is always percentage or ratio. But ratio. 1/x
And yet all the fittings are bought in degrees. Hmm, it may be important they get their heads around this. As opposed to if at least 1/3 of the bubble in the spirit level is over the line it's good enough. Still valid. I'll mention that next Tuesday and hope all our spirit levels have lines in similar places. That's great in tight spaces but doesn't help you with efficiency so much over long lengths with an excavator operator by the hour.

Last edited:
As far as I'm concerned no plumber deserves a license and hence the chance to run their own business unless they can combine somewhat basic maths with half decent analytical problem solving skills full stop. And it would help if I could make it as simple as possible to understand as well, but that's a work in progress. I'm new at this. But strangely, teaching water supply last year was so much simpler. I mean I got questions like what does the ^2 mean in the formula for the area of a circle, and realised I had to teach basic maths too, but the drainage stuff, and the rules for drainage are way ****ing harder to understand, let alone teach. It's a proper challenge. And I already know I need to be properly prepared, and never in threat of becoming flustered by the students, because it all turns to **** if they smell weakness.
Goodnight, my lovelies. :)

I'm not sure I ever mentioned I'm not teaching apprentices. That's a one day a week course for three years for basic skills which gets you a Cert 3 in Plumbing. What we used to call a journeyman. You want a License you used to have to do another 2 years Cert4 1 night a week. All theory and rules. That's what I'm teaching, except now it's 18 months, with four distinct streams, of which I'm now learning to teach my second. And it's not enough time to drill the rules and maths into their brains. It's just not.

Oh ****, I forgot to mention that civilisation would be moot without plumbing. Per se. No clean water, no drainage, much more cholera and typhoid. We'd all be stuck in the dark ages still. With the ****ing Pope. The Oman's were generally better. Actually that religiousity's an odd stretch. The rest is absolutely true, but maybe I talk these dickheads up too much when I say that?

Last edited:
As an aside, that's how beer got popular. If you're a boss, or more particularly a church or a Lord with large landholdings, you wouldn't get the plebs to harvest your fields unless you could give them beer to drink in your fields, while they do your deeds. As the water wasn't fit to drink, but the beer was. Fermentation being almost godly that way. And somehow that feudal horseshit is still the basis for modern democracy, but now us plebs pay taxes on top of what we pay for our beer now, instead of getting it for free to convince us to keep going to work for the 1%ers.

Last edited:
I got 1 in 48 btw. For the 1st one. Or 2.083% . Or Inverse Tan **** knows how many degrees which I also surely didn't need to confuse them with.
Quiz #2 blew their brains out too. But it is the point. Eh.

Last edited:
Also I met a girl last week. Not the one I mentioned last night who I let sleep in a spare room, but a proper girl I'm hot for. Who rides a mixte. And a motorbike. And is not crazy. And is smart. And a musician . And a psychologist. And ****ing smooth. And hot. And about my age group. And who texts me after midnight. And I need to calm down.

And probably drink less if I want it to go any further. Goddamnit.
That's tricky. I'm sure I could pretend for a while, but the truth will eventually out.
I'm versatile. I'm versatile. Malleable.
Capable of selfcontrol?