The Thread about Nothing....

Another one with the same daughter shoots / father carries arrangement - Don Vang, Far North, Vietnam...
(Shen Hao 4x5 w/ Fujinar 165 - Kodak Ektar 100 film developed at home)D001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

FWIW, this is the camera I was carrying, so that she could take the shots...
B003 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

This is what happens when I have unexpected time on my hands - I start tsunamiing all and sundry with snaps.

Hubby recognised the Hasselblad SWC from across the room, as for the other camera "thingy"flex is the best he could do.

He has a Hasselblad 553ELX and a 503CX with a Phase One digital back and a Toyo 5x4 with a Schneider 65mm.

Reactions: EoinC2
Powerful letter, Beepers. Rebellion is good at getting us out of a situation, but it doesn't pick up the pieces. Sometimes it's only when we are older that we can fully come to terms with those broken pieces. Good work on your part.
If a guest son position becomes available, I'll put in a word with the bouncers. Be aware, though, that the queue is not very long - Actually you are it. Here's a selfie, so you can recognise me...b021 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr
Cheers. Kinda feel it deserved posting since you guys have had to put up with my squealings on the topic previously.
And WTF is that? Dododaddy?

Fartographer likes your 5*4 and is intrigued. Is it a new Chinese replica? Looks nice and compact. She has an ancient Linhof Technica which is built like a tank, along with a multi rollfilm back, up to 6*12. Doesn't get used much now though. Her workhorse was a Mamiya 6*7. Do you process your film yourself? Do you use Rodinal? It's good, and cheap, she reckons.

I tried to warn you not to get me started...
The 4x5 is a Shen Hao. They've been making them for many decades, and still do. Same as a Toyo or Wisner or Ebony or Chamonix or...
I currently use a Fujinar 165 or a Nikkor 75 on it.
The SWC is in a relationship with a 503CXi...
a004 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr
In the same lovepad, lives a M6, which is in a relationship with a Monochrom...
a010 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr
In the film field, I also have restored my Canon F1, which has had a 17mm attached to it since 1983, and still works like a tank.
I do develop my own film (except for E6, as I can't import the chemicals), using Rodinal (R09), DDX, and Adotech III for B&W, and Tetenal for Colour. This was a SWC / Ektar 100 shot I developed this week, thanks to Malaysian Election holidays...
B002 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr
I'm really pleased to see our daughter falling in love with photography, as it gives some kind of balance to the cycling. Here's a shot she took with the 4x5 in Hanoi (Fujinar 365 w/ Tri-X 320 film)...
C001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr
There is a Surgeon General Health Warning that goes with engaging me on photography - Ensuing diatribe may induce terminal boredom.

Assorted Sample Pack:
Shen Hao 4x5 w/ Delta 100...
S002 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

SWC 6x6 w/ Ektar 100...

...and Delta 100...

503CXi w/ Acros 100...
A001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

...and Tri-X...
A002 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

...and Rollei RPX25...
A003 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

...and Ektar 100...
c002 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

M6 w/ Tri-X...

...and Ektar 100...
B047 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

...and Acros 100...
d001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

F1 w/ Ektar 100...
F1080026 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

...and Tri-X...
A006 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

...and Ektachrome 64...
B002 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

...and Kodachrome 25...
D001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

EOS 1V HS w/ Tri-X...

Kowa 6x6 w/ Ektachrome 64...
I001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Monochrom...
E009 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr
e003 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr
I guess I'd better stop now...

Last edited:
Reactions: roshea
Last year I found a couple of old exposed films in a cupboard on a trip back to Perth. The self-loaded cassettes, with unbranded copy film inside. I tried stand-developing them - One was blank, but the other came up with faint, contrasty images from when I was in NWFP and Afghanistan in 1990/91. I didn't even remember taking my camera with me, but obviously cared enough to take a selfie when I was up in the Hindukush. Crappy images, but strong memories...
B005 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

B004 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

B007 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Reactions: roshea
Cheers for the clarification on the Sydney harbour shots. I was wondering. So you climbed the mast with a 4x5 (fartographer says 5x4 btw, not my fault) ? Nice. I like you guest daddy. And nice work with developing and printing.
Fartographer's Technika.
IMG_5814.JPG

But that bugger weighs 4kg. I did some research for her. It's a Technika V, likely late 1965 or early 1966. So younger than her, and so technikally absolutely not ancient. Whoops.

And Afghanistan? Soldier or miner?

Mast shots were with my old Canon F1 (which I still use, with the same lens stuck on it)...
...and my Kowa 66, which my daughter has now stolen off me...
The boat was one my mate and I owned back in the 1980's and, at that time, were sailing around the Top End.

Linhof Technika's are excellent. The standard terminology for sizing in large format is 'American style' (ie small x large), like their whacky building terms, except that it is used throughout Europe, Asia etc (unlike their whacky building terms).

I was up in the NWFP and over into Afghanistan in the early 1990's, doing seismic exploration. Very impressive place and people. I was working in PNG in the same era, which was impressive, but different...
B011 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

A016 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

A009 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Home in the sago swamps out from Angoram. I had recurring malaria for many years after I finished in PNG mainland. I went back in 2008 for 2 years, but that was out on the islands to the East...