The Value Of Having A Camera

predagin

Jun 16, 2015
Some time back an imbecile deliberately swerved into the bike lane, missing me by inches. As I was reporting it to a cop, he looked at the empty camera mount on top of my helmet, and commented sadly that the video could have really been useful.

Well, today I was out on the motorcycle, and *did* have a camera on the helmet. The camera is a Contour on the right side, down low by the jaw, and is pretty much not noticeable by other motorists.

This edit was done for the local sheriff's office: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As73n5qyamk

Let's all hope that the woman yelling in the video that you posted was yelling at the driver, and not at you. It just totally dumbfounds me in that some motorists will go through that same amount of idiocy and dangerous driving, only to pull over to the side of the road a few miles further down the road.
It would be nice to set the camera to a higher resolution, I could barely make out the motorist's license plate.

I had a similar experience, the woman passenger was yelling to me about how imbecilic the driver was acting.

I have a couple of Contours mounted to my bicycle, and have similar incidents on video, with motorists causing oncoming motorists to dive for the shoulder of the roadway.

I hope they will report to you if they do anything. **** like this makes me sick. These people shouldn't have licenses. This guy should have his taken away for endangering not only the biker, but also the three other cars on that road that he almost hit.

What a nice area to ride. Other than the abject stupidity posed by the driver and occupant in the car your ride reminds me of nice outings in alpine locations. BTW - the driver looks like he is full of testosterone.

shadowsupernature said:
Seriously?

Man, if I got upset every time a driver passed on a double yellow, my BP would be 140/90.
That's still fine. It's only pre-hypertensive. No alarm bells as yet. Bro, you got great patience, lol ;) (just kidding)

Get 2. Mount them pointing fore AND aft. Inexpensive Go-Pro black/white knock-offs are fine. Completely admissible in court. Start them at the beginning of your commute leg and leave them on until it's completed. Re-charge them regularly. THEY ARE INVALUABLE!! DO NOT respond to any insults or empty threats. Remember, the cameras' are recording you, too.

I'd probably do that on a larger road with more lanes, but that's pretty stupid of someone to do in blatantly breaking the law. I'm not surprised that people do these kinds of things. It is nice to see them caught on camera and receive a little public shame, though. I doubt they'll receive a major penalty or anything like that. One can hope! I don't currently ride a motorcycle or bicycle with a helmet camera of any sort, unfortunately.

I agree with the camera but a helmet camera is far too inconvenient for a rider. No, not a camera for me. With the recent developments in the urban area here, Manila and other nearby cities are installing CCTV cameras in the main thoroughfares and the local community government called Barangays have their own CCTV cameras also. News reports on tv usually show footages of accidents, robberies and other notable occurrences captured by the CCTV. So maybe in the near future, riders would not need a camera in Metro Manila.

Freaking idiodic driver. He could have easily ran over that biker on the other side of the road, all over a solid two lines too! He could have his license suspended for awhile just for doing that. Imagine if he had hit that biker, he would have gotten charged with tons of charges including murder and driving recklessly as it is.

I see that all the time and it just goes to show you how stupid people really are. He did get close to the oncoming vehicles.

Having a camera will help you catch all moments, like the example you have given. This will be really of much help if you are supposed to present the video in a court of law. You can also have records for your future reference.

I was hoping to see something else that was recorded using a camera but whatever it is you were able to capture I am pretty sure it could be of help.

9lines said:
Having a camera will help you catch all moments, like the example you have given. This will be really of much help if you are supposed to present the video in a court of law. You can also have records for your future reference.
We are supposed to drive at low speeds, that is when we can manage to apply emergency brakes. After applying an emergency brake, the driver behind you will notice this and apply brakes also.

I've recently got a Fly6 and its great :)
There are already a number of drivers I've noted and done Police online complaints about (whereas before I would stop and note down the offence/rego etc on my pad).
A forward facing one would be nice to have too......

I've never considered having a camera for when I ride but I have thought about getting a camera for my car. I do a bit of driving and it would be nice to have a look back at my drives for nostalgia purposes (I'm that kinda person!) and also for protection if I ever need it.

The paranoid part of me though wants to get both a front facing and rear facing camera to cover all bases so to speak.

We are supposed to drive at low speeds, that is when we can manage to apply emergency brakes. After applying an emergency brake, the driver behind you will notice this and apply brakes also.
I have been looking for an action camera for sometime now. I am considering buying Germin brand helmet camera because of their high definition capabilities. I want to record every moment when I cycle.

I have a Sony Action Cam. Mounting it on my helmet is a pain because ti makes my helmet slip down on my nose. Battery life is horrible, and you can't turn it on, immediately, provided you can even find the button when it's on the top of your helmet. Sure, I could leave it on all during the ride, but the battery only lasts 2 hours, and by the time I need it, the battery is done. I spent $300 for a camera that is useless for cycling. I have heard similar stories about the Go Pro.

I have been looking for an action camera for sometime now. I am considering buying Germin brand helmet camera because of their high definition capabilities. I want to record every moment when I cycle.

You must love watching boring road footage. Try as I might, I never could get the camera to record the image as I saw it.