Things they do

Chuckabutty

Jun 21, 2018
I once frequented another bike forum where some odd things were being said. I had just gotten back into riding a bike, so I wasn't up to date in what's going on.

A discussion was being held on cassettes and freewheels, and which brands were preferred. One man claimed he had broken several of Brand X and would never buy another one. Having had the same cassette on my bike for 5,000 miles, and not even worn out, I wondered how it was possible to break several cassettes. Are they that fragile?

In another discussion on 'pie plates,' - those plastic protectors that prevent the chain going into the spokes should it come off the large cog - a man claimed that each time he bought a new bike, the first thing he did was to remove the protector. Last year while on a ride about seventeen miles from home, I changed to the lowest gear to go up a hill. My lever shifters don't have indicators and I thought I still had another cog to go. I pressed the lever and the chain came off and jammed against the protector. It was quite a job trying to free it, but I was glad the protector was there.

So I can't help wondering about the things some people claim. Some seem to love to brag about the high dollar parts on their bikes, but I wonder if they even have bikes.

What's the most questionable statements you've read from other cyclists, that don't sound like they know what they're talking about?

When someone say bike X is ridiculously faster than bike Z. The sign of someone who doesn't want to admit they spent more than they would have liked on a bike.

Reactions: Kakashi
I think everyone is entitled to their opinion but, it doesn't mean I have to believe it. An example is a thread that says you have to pick a soft spot when crashing, Duh? It seems he hasn't experience crashing beforeo_O, I mean how can you pick a soft spot when you're crashing? You don't think, you simply crash and depending on your gear you could be hurt a little or hurt bad. You can't pick a landing place unless you're jumping on a ramp and for some reason you opted to ditch the bike in mid air, but even that won't be considered as picking a good landing place:).

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion but, it doesn't mean I have to believe it. An example is a thread that says you have to pick a soft spot when crashing, Duh? It seems he hasn't experience crashing beforeo_O, I mean how can you pick a soft spot when you're crashing? You don't think, you simply crash and depending on your gear you could be hurt a little or hurt bad. You can't pick a landing place unless you're jumping on a ramp and for some reason you opted to ditch the bike in mid air, but even that won't be considered as picking a good landing place:).
I agree everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the problem is when the person is just uninformed or not sufficiently experienced to talk about those things but presents his/her opinion as valid, when it can easily be disproved when presented with facts. Problem is more uninformed people may see some of those opinions and adopt that thinking as well, leading to bigger problems.

Problems with cycling and equipment depends on so many factors. As you guys said, one is due to the lack of experience, in that case people tend to change or remove parts, just because it is better according to others. That's another issue, bad assessment, when you think your friends are way more experienced than you, so their advice becomes a law. Maybe is overuse of the equipment too, if you ride more, you will have to change equipment more often. Honestly, can't help so much myself or others because I'm a newbie about cycling, but those issues have become common ones for me.

Reactions: Chuckabutty
... An example is a thread that says you have to pick a soft spot when crashing, Duh? It seems he hasn't experience crashing beforeo_O, I mean how can you pick a soft spot when you're crashing? ...
I've seen that advice, myself. Personally, I try not to hit poles when my bike goes somewhere I don't want it to go. :confused:

I agree everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the problem is when the person is just uninformed or not sufficiently experienced to talk about those things but presents his/her opinion as valid, when it can easily be disproved when presented with facts. Problem is more uninformed people may see some of those opinions and adopt that thinking as well, leading to bigger problems.

I do agree with you on those points, some might post something that members would believe and do, that might harm them.

Problems with cycling and equipment depends on so many factors. As you guys said, one is due to the lack of experience, in that case people tend to change or remove parts, just because it is better according to others. That's another issue, bad assessment, when you think your friends are way more experienced than you, so their advice becomes a law. Maybe is overuse of the equipment too, if you ride more, you will have to change equipment more often. Honestly, can't help so much myself or others because I'm a newbie about cycling, but those issues have become common ones for me.

I think the issue is really posting something that you're not sure off or posting something which one has little knowledge in.

A man posted a long message that seemed very authoritative on a particular brand of bike. Then another member opposed everything the first guy said, and went on to say he was a factory representative of that particular brand of bike, explaining all what was wrong about the first guy's comments. So what is anyone to believe?

Being a newbie to cycling after many years, I asked advice on chain lubes. That turned into an argument between other members. In the end I didn't know what to believe. My LBS recommend Rock 'n' Roll lube. I think it's good stuff when the instructions are followed, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus about that. When I was a kid, I used to oil my chain with 3-in-1 oil, but now they say that's not good.

It really comes down to learning by experience. Remember the pieces of advice given because somebody might be right. I once mentioned the forum to the guys at my LBS, and they told me to stay away from those places.

A man posted a long message that seemed very authoritative on a particular brand of bike. Then another member opposed everything the first guy said, and went on to say he was a factory representative of that particular brand of bike, explaining all what was wrong about the first guy's comments. So what is anyone to believe?

Being a newbie to cycling after many years, I asked advice on chain lubes. That turned into an argument between other members. In the end I didn't know what to believe. My LBS recommend Rock 'n' Roll lube. I think it's good stuff when the instructions are followed, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus about that. When I was a kid, I used to oil my chain with 3-in-1 oil, but now they say that's not good.

It really comes down to learning by experience. Remember the pieces of advice given because somebody might be right. I once mentioned the forum to the guys at my LBS, and they told me to stay away from those places.
Go look at the car forums. They make the bike forums seem utterly conversational.