Tires And Brakes

btay415

Aug 3, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I have had my bike for about 6 months which I bought used. I trust the previous owner and wish to know what happened. He put new breaks and tires on in March of 2015. I went to s bike shop about a week ago and got my flat replaced. The guy then said that the tires needed replacing and my breaks. Maybe they just decided that it looked old because they didn't do anything they just said that. Is there a problem with my bike or is it fine?

I would replace any item a bike mechanic advises me to. This is a matter of your personal safety when you ride. We all have enough challenges in life -- it is good to avoid adding yet another challenge such as your own hospitalization as a direct result of unexpected brake failure.

Thanks

Bob

That is the problem with buying a used item, be it a bike, a car or even a house. There may be a hidden problem that even the past owner may not know. Now for the bike, I guess you have to replace the brakes if you are suspecting it to become faulty or even the tires if you have the money for it. Maybe next time you just save money so you can buy a brand new bike. Make it a mountain bike because it looks better than an ordinary road bike.

Honestly, I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'd rather replace the brakes and have piece of mind that my brakes won't fail me rather than test brakes that are a couple of years old and have them fail when I need them.

Got any pictures? What kind of brakes and tires are on the bike now?

What did the shop say was wrong with them?

btay415 said:
I have had my bike for about 6 months which I bought used. I trust the previous owner and wish to know what happened. He put new breaks and tires on in March of 2015. I went to s bike shop about a week ago and got my flat replaced. The guy then said that the tires needed replacing and my breaks. Maybe they just decided that it looked old because they didn't do anything they just said that. Is there a problem with my bike or is it fine?
FWIW. Whether-or-not your tires AND/OR brake pads need to be replaced depends on how much riding you have done in the past few months AND your riding style ...

The TYPE of tires you bought will make a difference ...

Expensive "racing" tires are typically only good for 1000-to-1500 miles ...

So-called "training" & "commuter" tires will yield much higher mileage ...

YOUR weight matters ...

The SAME tire will typically last longer on a bike ridden by a lighter rider.

Some people go through brake pads at a very high rate ... some people rarely touch their brakes or have a lighter touch than other riders.

FYI. If you deflate your tires & if the center-section (~3/8") of the tread is clearly thinner than the adjacent sections, then they need to be replaced sooner-rather-than-later ...

Rear tires wear out faster ...

Generally, the "old" front tire is moved to the rear wheel and a new tire is put on the front wheel.

If the brake pads are smooth from-tip-to-stern (the grooves are considered to be wear indicators), then they need to be replaced.

The front pads wear out faster on the bikes of experienced riders ...

You may only need to replace ONE of the two pairs of pads.

We Can't See From Here.
Wearing out brake PADS in that time isn't that unusual.
Wearing out the actual BRAKE would be rare, if not impossible.
Unless we consider crash damage, messed up assembly or some other random events.
Tires, depends on tire type, inflation pressure and riding style.
But usually, it'd take a serious daily mileage to wear out tires in that time.

6 months and the pads are gone? Is the rim made from sand paper? Did the tire get other damages from the flat? Both tires? The front can out last the rear by 3 or more miles to every mile on the rear. Take it to another shop and verify that your not being taken fo a ride. Learn to fix a flat yourself, it's not that hard and beats walking or bagging for a ride.

I have only replaced brake pads due taste and age but not from actual use. I get around 2000-3500 miles on tires depending on the compound. I just replace my rear after 7 months of use and covering just over 3500 miles (Specialized Threshold) and there is bearly any wear on the front.

This is an impossible decision to make without seeing the stuff, some LBS's are into making money anyway they can, and tires pads at an LBS have huge markups compared to buying the same stuff online though with pads alone you wouldn't save enough to warranty having to pay for shipping.

Unfortunately you're an inexperienced rider, in time you will be able to tell what a worn tire and pads look like, right now you're at the mercy of the LBS so just do it. And while you're at it get a fresh set of tubes.

Also begin reading web sites and watching You Tube videos on how to fix a flat, buy a couple of high quality tire irons like Soma Steel Core (impossible to break), or Pedros in yellow (cheap but stronger than other all plastic levers), I like the Quik Stik (fast and won't break either) too; there is no reason on Earth to take a bike to an LBS to have them fix a flat, then take one of your old tubes (keep the old tubes you might be able to use one as a spare), put a hole into it and mount the tire, dismount it and patch and remount and air up, repeat this 10 times till you get a good working knowledge of how it's done, then put back in the new tube and throw away your test tube and remount the tire. Practice with your rear tire and not the front, because that's where most flats occur and that one is the more difficult one because of the mechanicals.

For beginners I recommend glue on patches because those will cover up any failure in tube preparation to accept a patch, however glueless patches made by Park or Specialized are bulletproof if you know how to prepare the tube, and their faster to apply with no worry of finding a dried glue tube when you have a flat; I would replace a glue tube once at the beginning of every season just to be safe.

If you're not remotely mechanically inclined then buy a set of Panaracer FlatAway liners (your LBS should be able to order these and install them at the time you have the tires and tubes replaced) and install those in your tires, this will prevent probably all the flats till the tire wears out. Inspect your tires after each ride and pick out or pull out anything stuck in the tire. ALSO while the LBS is at it have them check the rim strip.

How the heck would WE know what's wrong with your bike if we're not there? :p It's always better to be on the safe side, so getting those things replaced regardless of what whoever says is a good idea. If you get a used bike from someone, replace those things from the beginning so that you know you're good for the next few hundred miles (or however long).