Training advice please!

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by ShutUpLegsPlease, Nov 4, 2017.

1. ShutUpLegsPlease

ShutUpLegsPlease New Member

New Hey all,
    This is my first year cycling and I've got rather addicted.
    The TT event has quickly taken my interest and I really want to improve my times. This year(september 9th) I rode 6m42s for a 3.9km TT, and I want to get that down to under 6 minutes by next september. Is this at all possible and if so what training methods should I be using? I weigh about 57 kilos and and about 5.7"

Tags:
  2. BobNYC

BobNYC New Member

3. BobNYC

BobNYC New Member

New In a more complete answer to your question:
    For such a short TT 6 minutes is easily doable. 5½ minutes would be a more aggressive goal - 5 minutes would be a stretch goal, but achievable in 3 years of so if you are dedicated, young, and reasonably athletic.
    Really you should look for longer TTs - at least 10 miles and better 25 miles. Breaking the hour for 25 miles is a milestone for competent TTers.
    The time trial forum has a lot of good training advice, but if you are new to cycling, then for the first year just ride your bike. Set some goals like “100 miles a week”; then completing a 60 mile or 100 mile ride; then increase your schedule to 150 miles a week, with one 2 or 3 hour ride. Join a cycling club - preferably one with a racing background. By the end of a year you will have accumulated enough fitness, experience and knowledge to transition to a more specific trading regimen, including periodization, intervals, etc. But for the first year, just ride your bike.
    Most of all enjoy riding your bike. Good luck.

gontxo_nos
Draft saved Draft deleted
Insert every image as a...
  1.  0%